Home General Discussion
Options

How to get PG formula out of gel.....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Alright fellas. Thought I'd come to you with my most recent problem. I have 2 Madelaine's Crystal Clear Humidifier Jars in my humi. Each hold 2 oz of gel and calls for Propylene Glycol solution to be added from time to time. Well I was speaking with a couple gentlemen who run a local cigar shop and they were telling me to not use PG, rather to use distilled water in these gels because the PG has a hard time releasing from the gel, which would explain my recent decrease in humidity as I just got finished recharging them My humidity dropped almost immediately from 65 to 55.

So the question really is, how do I get the liquid out of the gel so I can recharge it with distilled water? I tried holding a hair dryer over it earlier and that didn't do anything. LOL. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    buy new gel?

isnt that stuff sorta disposable and have a limited life span as well? if its cheap, get a new jar.

or you could switch to beads and use distilled only.
  • Options
    It's not that I can't afford new gel. Or beads for that matter. It's the challenge of the thing. Man vs Liquid In Gel. Who will come out on top. So far, the gel's kicking my ***! I think I am gonna swith to some beads. How much beads do you guys recommend? I think the website you guys usually link to sells in 1/2 lb bags and 1 lb bags. 1 pound seems like a lot.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    How big is the humi? I use 1/2 pound in my 300 count and it holds nicely.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    It's not that I can't afford new gel. Or beads for that matter. It's the challenge of the thing. Man vs Liquid In Gel. Who will come out on top. So far, the gel's kicking my ***! I think I am gonna swith to some beads. How much beads do you guys recommend? I think the website you guys usually link to sells in 1/2 lb bags and 1 lb bags. 1 pound seems like a lot.

I have that problem too sometimes, I just want to know if I can do it!!

But I use beads and I just bought another pound for a new big humi I'm going to be purchasing with my tax return in the near future. Right now I have a half pound in each of my humi's. They are only 50 counts, but it's better to have more than the minimum so they can better control humidity fluctuation. Just my opinion. When I open my humi, the humidity drops, so having extra beads will help to recover the humidity faster. In this lovely winter weather, they will be more able to combat the cold dry air that's ruining our skin and patience. Again, my opinion.
  • Options
    300 count. Probably go with the pound then cause I got a couple tuppadores.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Well if you want to keep going with trying to get rid of the PG solution I found a few ways you can go about it.
    As a warning, I looked this stuff up and was trying to recall my chemistry classes at 2 in the morning, so it might be a bit off.

1. Try running vinegar through the gel, it's a bit denser than the PG solution and might replace it.
    2. Opposite of 1, run rubbing alcohol through it because it's less dense than the PG solution and would "wash" the PG solution out of the gel.
    3.Run acetone through the gel because it is a crappy solvent and will cause the gel to shrink, maybe causing enough PG solution to be expelled so you can use water in it.
    4. Run salt water through it, the gel is most likely salt based and the PG might attach to the salt in the water instead of the gel.

I have no idea if any of these work, but have fun experimenting with them!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    clearlysuspect:
    I use the gel in a few of my humis and I find that the gel size decreases the same with either PG or distilled water. My rH has dropped in all but one humi. I keep wetting the the inside of the lids but that lasts like a day. I really need to reseason all of them but I don't have any place to store the cigars while I do this.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Garen B:
    Well if you want to keep going with trying to get rid of the PG solution I found a few ways you can go about it.
    As a warning, I looked this stuff up and was trying to recall my chemistry classes at 2 in the morning, so it might be a bit off.

1. Try running vinegar through the gel, it's a bit denser than the PG solution and might replace it.
    2. Opposite of 1, run rubbing alcohol through it because it's less dense than the PG solution and would "wash" the PG solution out of the gel.
    3.Run acetone through the gel because it is a crappy solvent and will cause the gel to shrink, maybe causing enough PG solution to be expelled so you can use water in it.
    4. Run salt water through it, the gel is most likely salt based and the PG might attach to the salt in the water instead of the gel.

I have no idea if any of these work, but have fun experimenting with them!
    And if none of those work you could always grab a can of gasoline, pour some into the gel. Let it set for a few seconds then drop a lit match into the solution. I'm pretty sure that will get the gel & PG formula to separate. Caution you might want to do this outside as it may be hazardious to your home & lungs & stuff. Can you tell I failed Chemistry? The instructor said I kept trying to burn & blow things up or something like that.....I wasn't really listening to him.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    clearlysuspect:
    I use the gel in a few of my humis and I find that the gel size decreases the same with either PG or distilled water. My rH has dropped in all but one humi. I keep wetting the the inside of the lids but that lasts like a day. I really need to reseason all of them but I don't have any place to store the cigars while I do this.
    rwheel do you have plastic tupperware containers? These tend to workout well if you are housing your sticks while you reseason your humi's. Just be sure to put some cedar & humidificatioin device in with them.
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    rwheelwright:
    clearlysuspect:
    rwheel do you have plastic tupperware containers? These tend to workout well if you are housing your sticks while you reseason your humi's. Just be sure to put some cedar & humidificatioin device in with them.
    I do but they are all full with cigars already. LOL! I need to find some really big plastic zip lock bags. I don't have any at the moment.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    Sandman1am:
    rwheelwright:
    clearlysuspect:
    I do but they are all full with cigars already. LOL! I need to find some really big plastic zip lock bags. I don't have any at the moment.
    Sounds like it might be time to build a Coolidor.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    double...damn fluff..
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Stick them in the microwave for a while, then go buy a new microwave and some beads...

That was actually more for my amusement than to be actually helpful...
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    rwheelwright:
    Sandman1am:
    rwheelwright:
    clearlysuspect:
    Sounds like it might be time to build a Coolidor.
    I want to buy a cabinet! Now that I am moving into a house I may do that since it can be a piece of furniture. :-)
  • Options
    Well, not much help, but I had fun reading your posts fellas! LOL

Actually looks like the best thing for it is just let it sit on the counter for a few days. The gel is really starting to dry out now.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    Well, not much help, but I had fun reading your posts fellas! LOL

Actually looks like the best thing for it is just let it sit on the counter for a few days. The gel is really starting to dry out now.
    Oh ya I was gonna say you could do that with the dry cold weather & all but I got lost in having fun with this post.....sorry!
  • Options
    Alright. So the best way to get PG out of gel is to dump it out on a plate, spread it out, and let it sit for a day. Dries right out.
  • Options
    I still don't think you need to do this. I use it and it is fine.
  • Options
    I don't use PG and in fact, I use tap water only.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    I still don't think you need to do this. I use it and it is fine.
    And I'm not saying you're wrong. It's more for experimentation than anything. I'm sure my humidity is dropping for the same reason everyone elses is right now. I just figured I'd try something different and see what happens.