Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Interesting Movie Facts I found....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
While I was searching the internet for answers to clues on the Movie Trivia thread I stumbled across these interesting movie facts:

Katherine Heigl starred in 2006's Zyzzyx Road, which grossed a measly $30 at the box office.

Tom Hanks auditioned for Tom Cruise's role in Risky Business.

Chewbacca came from the planet Kashyyyk.

Ennio Morricone's music in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is intended to evoke the sound of a crying hyena.

X2: X-Men United is the only X-Men film without a Stan Lee cameo.

Sofia Coppola is the only American woman to be nominated for a Best Director Oscar (Lost in Translation).

Tobey Maguire, Ewan McGregor, and Jude Law were each considered for the role of Will Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Heath Ledger was originally cast in Australia, but backed out to do The Dark Knight.

Before they were famous, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were extras in Field of Dreams.

The Godfather, Part II was the first sequel to win the Best Picture Oscar.

Henry Mancini wrote "Moon River" specifically for Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Jennifer Aniston made her film debut in the 1993 horror flop Leprechaun. Brokeback Mountain was the first film released as a DVD and a download on the same day.

Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and John Travolta were each considered for the role of Forrest Gump.

Indiana Jones was named after George Lucas' Alaskan malamute, Indiana.

It took Vincent D'Onofrio 7 months to gain 70 pounds for his role as Pvt. Pyle in Full Metal Jacket.

JJ Abrams dubbed his 2008 Manhattan monster flick Slusho before settling on the name Cloverfield.

[ Marty is the only film adapted from a teleplay to win a Best Picture Oscar.

Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez were each considered for the role of Billy in Gremlins.

The first comedy to win the Best Picture Oscar was It Happened One Night.

The only X-rated film (later reduced to R) to win Best Picture was Midnight Cowboy.

[ Before Will Smith was cast, Tom Cruise was considered for the role of Robert Neville in I Am Legend.

Mick Jagger wanted to play Dr. Frank N Furter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Originally, The Goodbye Girl was set to star Robert De Niro as the male lead, not Richard Dreyfuss.

Mel Gibson declined the title role in The Terminator.

Steven Spielberg is the godfather of both Drew Barrymore and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Wes Craven's working title for Scream was Scary Movie.

Scarlett Johansson lost the lead role in The Parent Trap to Lindsay Lohan.

Paul Newman auditioned for the role of Tom Hagen in The Godfather.

Alfred Hitchcock delivered the shortest acceptance speech in Oscar history: "Thank you."

Jack Nicholson's role in As Good as It Gets was originally offered to John Travolta.

Lasting 91 minutes, Marty is the shortest Best Picture winner.

Robin Williams shaved his upper body and arms for his role as Peter Pan in Hook.

[ Steve McQueen turned down lead roles in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The French Connection, and Apocalypse Now.

Oscar nominee Mickey Rourke turned down the Tom Cruise role in Rain Man.

Alfred Hitchcock never won a Best Director Oscar.

Michael J. Fox is only ten days younger than Lea Thompson, the actress who plays his mother in Back to the Future.

Bruce Springsteen wrote the theme to The Wrestler for free.

Approximately 90 hours of film was shot for the Battle of Stirling scene in Braveheart.

To keep the film footage under wraps, The Dark Knight was shot under the titles Rory's First Kiss and Winter Green.

Although only in A History of Violence for one scene, William Hurt earned a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination.

The Dark Knight was the first Batman movie not to feature Bruce Wayne in a tuxedo.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was adapted from a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Christopher Reeve and Al Pacino were both offered the male lead in Pretty Woman.

Heat marked the first time Robert De Niro and Al Pacino shared a scene together.

John Huston is the only director to direct both his father and his daughter in Academy Award-winning performances.

Richard Pryor created the Blazing Saddles character Mongo.

The Tom Hanks movie Big was originally titled When I Grow Up.

Harry Lime, Joe Pesci's character in Home Alone, was named after Orson Welles's character in The Third Man.

Steven Spielberg owns one of the original Rosebud sleds from Citizen Kane.

Bad Boys was originally set to star Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz, not Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was Steven Spielberg's first sequel.

The role of Jerry Maguire was written for Tom Hanks.

Johnny Depp turned down the lead role in Interview with the Vampire.

A History of Violence was the last major Hollywood movie to be released in VHS format.

Nicolas Cage was originally considered for the role of John Bender in The Breakfast Club.

Sylvester Stallone was originally set to star in Beverly Hills Cop.

The working title of Alien was Star Beast.

Everyone Comes to Rick's was Casablanca's working title.

Watch the Skies and Kingdom Come were both working titles of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Penny Marshall was the first woman to direct a movie that grossed more than $100 million at the box office (Big).

Christopher Walken, Michael Keaton and Jim Carrey were each considered for the role of Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Michael Caine was born Maurice Joseph Micklewhite in Rotherhithe, England.

To cut production costs, some weapons used in 300 were "recycled" from previous war epics like Alexander and Troy.

Chuck Norris was offered the part of Cobra Kai Sensei John Kreese in The Karate Kid.

Kirk Douglas was born Issur Danielovitch Demsky in Amsterdam, New York.

Paul Reubens (PeeWee Herman) was offered the part of Gozer in Ghostbusters.

Carrie Fisher was considered for the role of Rizzo in Grease.

Scott Baio, John Travolta, and Charlie Sheen all turned down the role of Maverick in Top Gun.

Jack Nicholson turned down the role of Willard in Apocalypse Now.

Scarlett Johansson has a twin brother named Hunter.

Batman Begins was originally titled The Intimidation Game.

While playing Achilles during the production of Troy, Brad Pitt tore his Achilles tendon.

Daryl Hannah, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Meg Ryan were each offered the lead role in Pretty Woman.

Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly in Back to the Future.

Some Bambi scenes of woodland creatures are from unused Pinocchio footage.

Born Nicholas Coppola, Nicolas Cage got his acting name from the Marvel comic character Luke Cage.

The ending title sequence in the theatrical cut of Blade Runner contains unused footage from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.

An Affair to Remember sold an additional 2 million VHS copies after it was referenced in Sleepless in Seattle.

Gone with the Wind was the first all-color film to win the Best Picture Oscar.

Jack Nicholson declined the role of Michael Corleone in the Godfather trilogy.

Will Smith passed on the role of Neo in The Matrix to star in Wild Wild West.

Armageddon was the first movie in which the cast wore genuine NASA spacesuits (which cost over $3 million each).

Angelina Jolie based her role in Wanted on Clint Eastwood.

Al Pacino turned down Dustin Hoffman's roles in Midnight Cowboy, Marathon Man, and Kramer vs. Kramer.

Hugh Jackman sang at Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman's wedding.

A Chocolate Orange was the working title of Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange.

Ashton Kutcher has two webbed toes.

Burt Reynolds was originally going to play Han Solo in Star Wars.

Mutiny on the Bounty was the first remake to win the Best Picture Oscar.

The Incredibles was codenamed Tights during production.

The working title of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho was Wimpy.

Growing up in Boston, Matt Damon used to break-dance for money.

Robert De Niro and Willem Dafoe were each considered to play Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

Jamie Foxx was born Eric Marlon Bishop in Terrell, Texas.

Chris Farley was originally cast as Shrek.

The Invention of Lying was originally titled This Side of Truth.

Tarantino's Pulp Fiction had the early title Black Mask.

Before Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp was offered the role of Lestat in Interview with the Vampire.

The Last Emperor is the only Best Picture Oscar winner produced outside of the U.S. or UK.

Dustin Hoffman was offered the part of Michael Corleone in the Godfather trilogy.

Halloween was originally titled The Babysitter Murders.

Beaches got its title from a line in The Princess Bride: "If your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Wings is the only silent film to win the Best Picture Oscar.

Dave Chappelle and Ice Cube both turned down the role of Bubba in Forrest Gump.

Leonardo DiCaprio's big screen debut was in the horror film Critters 3.

Cary Grant was born Archibald Leach in Bristol, England.

Except for two chimps, the apes in the opening scene of 2001: A Space Odyssey were played by actors in costumes.

Tom Hanks, Al Pacino, Harrison Ford, and Chevy Chase each declined the male lead role in Ghost.

Only three sports movies won Best Picture Oscars: Rocky, Chariots of Fire, and Million Dollar Baby.

Jeff Bridges turned down the role of Hooper in Jaws.

There is no limit to the number of sweepstakes tickets you can have, so the more you play the more chances you have to win.

Tim Burton wanted Sammy Davis, Jr. to play Beetlejuice.

The Goonies marked Josh Brolin's big screen debut.

Indiana Jones was originally named Indiana Smith.

Robert Redford was offered the role of Benjamin Braddock in The Graduate.

The Silence of the Lambs was the first film to be released on home video before winning Best Picture.

Val Kilmer, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Ewan McGregor all turned down the part of Neo in The Matrix.

The role of Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters was originally written for John Belushi.

Mel Gibson passed on the title role in Tim Burton's Batman to make Lethal Weapon 2.

Before Talia Shire, Bette Midler was offered the role of Adrian in Rocky.

David Letterman screen-tested for the role of Ted Striker in Airplane!

Jake Gyllenhaal's first movie role was as Billy Crystal's son in City Slickers.

Galaxy Quest marked Justin Long's film debut.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi was shot using the alias Blue Harvest.

The working title of The Full Monty was Eggs, Beans and Chippendales.

Will Smith's Hitch was originally titled The Last First Kiss.

Cary Grant was originally offered the role of James Bond in Dr. No.

Jeff Goldblum was offered the role of Doc Brown in Back to the Future.

Melissa Etheridge's "I Need to Wake Up" from An Inconvenient Truth is the only song from a documentary film to win an Original Song Oscar.

Kevin Costner turned down the lead role in The Shawshank Redemption.

Sean Connery declined the role of Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Oscar nominee Mickey Rourke turned down Bruce Willis' role in Pulp Fiction.

Daniel Day-Lewis turned down the role of Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The French Connection was the first R-rated film to win the Best Picture Oscar.

Michael Madsen passed on the role of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction to make Wyatt Earp.

Dustin Hoffman and Philip Seymour Hoffman are the only Best Actor Oscar winners to share a last name.

Born Susan Weaver, Sigourney Weaver renamed herself after a character in The Great Gatsby.

The role of Indiana Jones was originally offered to Tom Selleck.

John Denver turned down the lead role in An Officer and a Gentleman.

Before Alec Baldwin, Kevin Costner was originally cast as Jack Ryan in The Hunt for Red October.

Al Pacino passed on the lead role in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Anthony Michael Hall was originally set to play Pvt. Joker in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.

Before Steve Carell, Bill Murray and Robin Williams were each considered to play Frank in Little Miss Sunshine.

Brad Pitt was offered a role in Apollo 13 but passed to work on Se7en.

Bill Murray declined the lead role in Bad Santa to make Lost in Translation.

John Travolta was considered for the lead in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Francis Ford Coppola shot nearly 200 hours of footage for Apocalypse Now.

Director Steven Spielberg appears in a cameo at the end of The Blues Brothers.

The famous "chest-bursting" scene in Alien was filmed in one take.

Only 3 of the 80 Best Picture Oscar winners have been Westerns (Cimarron, Dances with Wolves, and Unforgiven).

Director Harold Ramis originally wanted Tom Hanks for the lead in Groundhog Day.

The Psycho shower scene features 90+ individual shots in 45 seconds.

Sean Connery, Samuel L. Jackson, and Russell Crowe all turned down the part of Morpheus in The Matrix.

The only horror movie to win a Best Picture Oscar is The Silence of the Lambs.

The original cast of Monster's Ball included Queen Latifah, Sean Penn, and Robert De Niro.

Lasting 234 minutes, Gone with the Wind is the longest Best Picture winner.

While filming Twelve Monkeys, Terry Gilliam took Brad Pitt's cigarettes so his character would appear more nervous.

When she was young, Angelina Jolie wanted to be an undertaker.

Count Dracula has been played more than any other horror movie character (160+ times).

Brad Pitt was offered the role of Tommy Williams in The Shawshank Redemption.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That's an impressive list. I like how every so often it would tell me to redeem rewards points. :)
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    That's an impressive list. I like how every so often it would tell me to redeem rewards points. :)
    I tried to delete those. Guess I missed a couple. LOL. I took me forever just to get this damn thing formatted correctly. Probably a good 25 minutes.
  • Options
    Could you image Bad Boys starring Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz. uggghhhhh.....
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Could you image Bad Boys starring Dana Carvey and Jon Lovitz. uggghhhhh.....
    so glad they went with who they did for that one, especially after the sequel!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    OK.... problem fixed.
  • Options
    Only Mick Jagger could have made Rocky Horror Picture Show more gay!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool list! I love stuff like that.
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Now that list says the Heat was the first time De Niro and Pacino shared a scene. Didnt they share a scene in The Godfather II or am I mistaken. Oh well looks like I have an excuse to pull out the box set and watch some Godfather.