Home Non Cigar Related
Options

anyone...

Comments

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I def. have no problems with legal marijuana. It's legal here in Oregon for medicinal usage and it's pretty damn easy to get the "green card". I don't see why the least addicting of the taboo substances isn't legal. If alcohol is legal, then pot should be as well. No one ever got stoned and beat the crap out of his wife and kids. And don't get me started on "Gateway Drug" BS. Alcohol is a gateway drug, TV is a gateway drug, stupidity is a gateway drug. I've smoked a lot of pot in my day and I quit when I had kids. I can say that I've never done coke, heroin, pcp, lsd, shrooms, meth, or anything else but marijuana and hash. Stupid people are going to find a way to do whatever they want no matter the reason.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I do like the fact that there will be a $50 dollar tax that will be used to fund drug eratication. That seems a little self defeating.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I do like the fact that there will be a $50 dollar tax that will be used to fund drug eratication. That seems a little self defeating.
    hopefully to fight the meth epidemic
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I guess that makes sense to some degree..
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Omg I was joking with my friend abut how Cali could solve it's budget issues if they would legalize pot and tax the hell out of it.
    If it's regulated like alcohol and tobacco then I can see this being a huge revenue center.

And I agree with Dennis I have never seen anyone get violent or upset after blazing.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    So many people here in CA smoke pot as it is, they may as well legalize and regulate it thereby generating some tax money from it. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...and tax 'em. I don't know, I'm kinda whatever on the whole thing, I don't smoke pot, didn't care for it the half dozen times I did, and probably wouldn't be looking to spark up a doobie if it got legalized...so, yeah.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I have met quite a few families that believe marijuana medically can help them out if used properly. One family in particular (I speak to the mother on a weekly basis) said that if she was able to use it in cooking and other non-smoking manners, that it would help her son (14) who is autistic and her daughter (24) who takes tons of meds for sever depression as a result of a very tramatic event that took plave when she was just a child. She believes it will help them function on a much more socially accepted level and and help them live more "normal" lives.

(Side note)I've read that the "medicinal effects" are incorperated in to the body much faster through smoking vs. oral consumption.

But in regards to the effects she's expecting... I don't know. She's a real honest and genuine lady, but also a bit over positive on the outcome especially since there is not enough solid statistical research available. Non that I can find at least and feel so sure about the outcome. Having experienced the effects of MJ first hand and knowing an associate who uses it regularly, I've seen different results for different people.

But bottom line, I don't know enough about it to formulate a solid opinion on it's medicinal properties but I can understand the marijuana prohibition in relation to the alcohol prohibition in hopes it will reduce the trafficing and criminal side of it.

Oh yeah, and I understand the taxation portion with a positive direction side of it.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    If it were to be legalized, I don't think it should be taxed and regulated like alcohol and tobacco are. Of course I don't think alcohol and tobacco should be taxed like they are... We all complain about the taxes on cigars because we smoke them, but when it comes to pot, if it is legalized everyone things it should be taxed heavily just because you don't smoke it... That seem a bit hypocritical to me...
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I think it should be legalized. Prisons are at capacity and I really think a non-violent person who got busted with a couple of joints doesn't deserve to go to the big house when we got worse people out there. Also, if it were legalized, the profits of drug lords and a ton of crime would dry up.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    PuroFreak:
    If it were to be legalized, I don't think it should be taxed and regulated like alcohol and tobacco are. Of course I don't think alcohol and tobacco should be taxed like they are... We all complain about the taxes on cigars because we smoke them, but when it comes to pot, if it is legalized everyone things it should be taxed heavily just because you don't smoke it... That seem a bit hypocritical to me...
    Well Jason, my stance on it is that I really don't care one way or the other, applied to everything about, whether it gets legalized, whether it gets taxed and if so how heavily. The reality of it is that if marijuana gets legalized, chances are pretty good it will be taxed, that's just the way it goes. Do I think it should be taxed heavily simply because I don't use it? No, not really, but I'm not opposed to it being taxed either, so I don't feel my stance is hypocritical, just realistic.
  • Options
    Krieg:
    I think it should be legalized. Prisons are at capacity and I really think a non-violent person who got busted with a couple of joints doesn't deserve to go to the big house when we got worse people out there. Also, if it were legalized, the profits of drug lords and a ton of crime would dry up.
    prisons in oregon aren't filled with dudes with a couple joints. it's only an offense when it's less than under an ounce. over is intent to distribute and even then it's minimal time
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    Well Jason, my stance on it is that I really don't care one way or the other, applied to everything about, whether it gets legalized, whether it gets taxed and if so how heavily. The reality of it is that if marijuana gets legalized, chances are pretty good it will be taxed, that's just the way it goes. Do I think it should be taxed heavily simply because I don't use it? No, not really, but I'm not opposed to it being taxed either, so I don't feel my stance is hypocritical, just realistic.
    I understand ya Joe, I wasn't directing that at you or your comments but towards people who say it should be taxed heavily. I'm just sick of the government stepping in and taxing alcohol and tobacco and everyting else that is seen as not fitting in with how "they" feel people should live. Then they always claim it's for some great cause and say sh*t like "it's for education" or for "our children," when in reality it isn't anything more than another way for them to line their pockets and control the people of this country.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    If Texas were to legalize it, I'd start growing it.... again...
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I say legalize it and tax it very similar to tobacco. Huge upside on this. Frees up a huge amount of tax dollars in our jails and will generate tax revenues.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    I understand ya Joe, I wasn't directing that at you or your comments but towards people who say it should be taxed heavily. I'm just sick of the government stepping in and taxing alcohol and tobacco and everyting else that is seen as not fitting in with how "they" feel people should live. Then they always claim it's for some great cause and say sh*t like "it's for education" or for "our children," when in reality it isn't anything more than another way for them to line their pockets and control the people of this country.
    I didn't think that was so much directed at me, just clarifying what I had said before. I don't agree with how aggressively the government taxes certain "vices" or "luxuries", however they might refer to it and I'd love to see the day when tobacco and alcohol have little tax on them...it just makes it more difficult for the consumer to partake in what they enjoy.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Fourtotheflush:
    I say legalize it and tax it very similar to tobacco. Huge upside on this. Frees up a huge amount of tax dollars in our jails and will generate tax revenues.
    Here in BC it has been under discussion for a long time.

I agree with Jason that if the Government took it over and then just taxed the he ll out of it, that would not be a good thing. Just more easy money for them to waste.

I do think however that the effects of lower crime rates, via less drug related offences for the police to deal with, and the taking away of the business aspect of the trade from the gangs would both be beneficial and economical to any state or province / country that adopted those policies.

Also if you took all the small time drug related (POT) offenders out of prison, I wonder how much money would be saved?

Never mind any moral issues. Jason have you ever had any violent incidents while dealing with a person smoking pot? I qualify that by saying only pot not anything else or in addition to...
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Here in BC it has been under discussion for a long time.

I agree with Jason that if the Government took it over and then just taxed the he ll out of it, that would not be a good thing. Just more easy money for them to waste.

I do think however that the effects of lower crime rates, via less drug related offences for the police to deal with, and the taking away of the business aspect of the trade from the gangs would both be beneficial and economical to any state or province / country that adopted those policies.

Also if you took all the small time drug related (POT) offenders out of prison, I wonder how much money would be saved?

Never mind any moral issues. Jason have you ever had any violent incidents while dealing with a person smoking pot? I qualify that by saying only pot not anything else or in addition to...
    Actually not typically, unless they have it on them and are afraid of being caught with it. Sometimes then they do something stupid. Mostly people already on parole for robbery or burglary charges get freaked out they are going to get busted with pot on them and try to run or fight. But not because of the effects of the drug.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Legalize and tax like the rest of our "vices". Make sure you can sell the good stuff though, or else potheads will still look to the streets for stronger stuff. Problem with touching this issue is the "war on drugs, drugs are bad, etc" we have heard our entire lives and the older population FIRMLY believes. So long as they are around and feel that way...AND are the largest % of voters------stuck we are.
  • Options
    I definitely don't believe that the product in question should be taxed heavily, but I THOUGHT I understood why it was a good idea to tax it.

PuroFreak:
    Then they always claim it's for some great cause and say sh*t like "it's for education" or for "our children," when in reality it isn't anything more than another way for them to line their pockets and control the people of this country.

I'm sorry, I'm asking because I don't know and don't want to be ignorant and assume things about this topic. Why wouldn't the tax dollars go to where they are supposed to?
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    I definitely don't believe that the product in question should be taxed heavily, but I THOUGHT I understood why it was a good idea to tax it.

PuroFreak:
    Then they always claim it's for some great cause and say sh*t like "it's for education" or for "our children," when in reality it isn't anything more than another way for them to line their pockets and control the people of this country.

I'm sorry, I'm asking because I don't know and don't want to be ignorant and assume things about this topic. Why wouldn't the tax dollars go to where they are supposed to?
    Because when legislation is passed to fund "education" or "medical care" for our children, there is a ton of little pork spending things added on where some of this money has to go to what ever little pet project some corrupt polotician is pushing for. As a hypothetical, "Senator "a" supports a bill, and wants Senator "b" to support it, but he doesn't really care, so Senator "a" writes in that $200,000 will go to build a park in Senator "b"s district in his honor... Then he has to do the same for Senators "c-z"... Funding gets pissed away on a hundred parks, then all the sudden we have to tax something else because the origional program is under-funded. That is pretty much how things work on Capitol Hill, and most state governments as well. Look at how Reid and Obama bought Sen. Nelson's vote for the Health Care Package...
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    nightmaremike31:

PuroFreak:

Because when legislation is passed to fund "education" or "medical care" for our children, there is a ton of little pork spending things added on where some of this money has to go to what ever little pet project some corrupt polotician is pushing for. As a hypothetical, "Senator "a" supports a bill, and wants Senator "b" to support it, but he doesn't really care, so Senator "a" writes in that $200,000 will go to build a park in Senator "b"s district in his honor... Then he has to do the same for Senators "c-z"... Funding gets pissed away on a hundred parks, then all the sudden we have to tax something else because the origional program is under-funded. That is pretty much how things work on Capitol Hill, and most state governments as well. Look at how Reid and Obama bought Sen. Nelson's vote for the Health Care Package...

Good sir, I appreciate your response. I now have some homework to do tomorrow when my eyes can stay open longer. I was not aware and must learn more. Thank you again.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Welp, this thread just got flagged by the government.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    We have this discussion at work all the time and for me, where I work, it really wouldn't matter. I still wouldn't be able to smoke it at all because my employer would still test me for it. Being an aircraft mechanic and working on government owned military planes, any time a mishap happens, something is broken, first thing that happens is the entire crew working on the plane gets sent for a urinalysis. And, with the way THC stores itself for prolonged periods of time in the fat cells and does not disipate quickly from the blood stream like alcohol does, they can't determine whether I smoked it at the beginning of my shift or 3 days ago. So even if it was legalized, I still wouldn't be able to partake without fear of losing my job.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Krieg:
    prisons in oregon aren't filled with dudes with a couple joints. it's only an offense when it's less than under an ounce. over is intent to distribute and even then it's minimal time
    Yes, I understand this...it was more used as a figure of speech...but I'm sure you get the point (I hope)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Legalize and tax like the rest of our "vices". Make sure you can sell the good stuff though, or else potheads will still look to the streets for stronger stuff. Problem with touching this issue is the "war on drugs, drugs are bad, etc" we have heard our entire lives and the older population FIRMLY believes. So long as they are around and feel that way...AND are the largest % of voters------stuck we are.
    im not so sure our population "firmly believes" it.

we have liberals, libertarians and conservatives on this board. unless i missed it, nobody has been in favor of keeping it illegal.
    however, im not sure we are a great cross section of the nation.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    cabinetmaker:
    as if it wasnt before.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    Lasabar:
    cabinetmaker:
    as if it wasnt before.
    Help Im being dragged to GITMO!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:
    Lasabar:
    cabinetmaker:
    as if it wasnt before.
    Help Im being dragged to GITMO!
    Tell them you're a republican and you'll be fine.