Home Cigar 101
Options

Newbie looking for some advice.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fubar:
    Already doing it cause i bought 10 more sticks which puts me at the 20 range mark.

This was me last year.  Started with a free 20 ct humi from CCOM, bought a 150 ct less than a month later, and now this year I've had to buy a 500 ct cabinet humi.  Now all of them are full already and I'm seriously considering converting a closet, or building a walk in in the garage.  This 'hobby' can get out of control quickly lol.  I love it though.  And my wife likes it because now I'm easier to shop for.
  • Options
    nudienudie Posts: 112
    for me i got a 12 sampler xmas 08... a box in july... and this xmas i got a 20 ct humi and a 10 sampler.... as of yesterday i have a 20 ct, a 50 ct which are full and 2 ziploc bags full and a 300 ct humi on the way with 2 more boxes.... thats in 28 days of my first humi... so if you read up on the forums everyday and take advantage of the great deals and samplers here... youll be in over your head in no time...........now Ive filled the 300 ct and my 20 and am rotating bombs in and out of the 50ct
  • Options
    gdillygdilly Posts: 17
    Unthought_Known:
    A tip on beads: Kitty Litter works just as well, and it's much cheaper. I bought an 8 pound container at target for about $12 and it'll last me a lifetime. I put some in my desktop humidor, my barrister humidor and my coolerdor, and I haven't come close to using 1/3 of my beads. All three stay between 65-68 percent, consistently. Just make sure the ingredient is 'silica gel' and it's unscented.
    Sorry for the "stupid" question, but wouldn't this dramatically change the smell of the humidor and the cigars inside? ...Also, how exactly does this method work? You just soak kitty litter for 2o minutes and then put it in your humidor? Do you have to continually change the litter?
  • Options
    gdilly:
    Unthought_Known:
    A tip on beads: Kitty Litter works just as well, and it's much cheaper. I bought an 8 pound container at target for about $12 and it'll last me a lifetime. I put some in my desktop humidor, my barrister humidor and my coolerdor, and I haven't come close to using 1/3 of my beads. All three stay between 65-68 percent, consistently. Just make sure the ingredient is 'silica gel' and it's unscented.
    Sorry for the "stupid" question, but wouldn't this dramatically change the smell of the humidor and the cigars inside? ...Also, how exactly does this method work? You just soak kitty litter for 2o minutes and then put it in your humidor? Do you have to continually change the litter?
    There are different types of kitty litter. The type most people think of is the kind that looks kind of like clay. This is NOT the type you'd want. If you buy unscented kitty litter beads made of 100 percent silica gel, it's just like the more expensive beads you'd find that are made for cigars. This is the type I'm talking about, although I got it about $5 cheaper at target:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750938
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Kitty litter, I wouldn't have guessed. This might be a nice solution for storage issues or if an issue came about.   :D
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I use kitty litter as well, but make sure it's litter beads. As said above, 100% silica gel and NO SCENT. It also works better with a trained humidor as the beads have to be "trained" a bit at the beginning to make sure they hold a steady 70%. Once I started using them, I switched all my humis to kitty litter and they're all holding right around 70.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Can someone post a picture of what these "kitty litter beads" look like....??
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If Heartfelt beads are too expensive for your taste, try these - they're half the price of Heartfelt and seem to work just as well. I dunno about kitty litter; some ppl swear by it, but I have my doubts about something that was meant to be pissed on. Anyway, these aren't as cheap as kitty litter, but they're created to work in humidors and about half the price of Heartfelt: http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    xmacro:
    If Heartfelt beads are too expensive for your taste, try these - they're half the price of Heartfelt and seem to work just as well. I dunno about kitty litter; some ppl swear by it, but I have my doubts about something that was meant to be pissed on. Anyway, these aren't as cheap as kitty litter, but they're created to work in humidors and about half the price of Heartfelt: http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL

Yup these beads work great. They are museum quality and are half the price of the Heartfelt Beads.

I and several others now have been using these for several months and they rock.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    The first time I saw this "kitty kitter" reference---I thought different strokes, different folks... However, this reference keeps popping up to use kitty litter,,,make sure it is silica gel.... Please correct me if I am wrong...but the kitty litter silica gel is a dessicant....used to reduce the moisture content. This type dessicant material is also used in OTC meds such as aspirin and things to keep out the moisture. By that ascertion, does this material absorb and release moisture (thereby regulating the humidity level) or does it only take moisture out of the environment. It just doesn't seem to be engineered to perform like the beads or other materials used to regulate humidity and maintain a constant specified level... If I am wrong let me know....not sure I will be on my way to buy kitty litter, but just in case please inform me.
  • Options
    Hawk55:
    The first time I saw this "kitty kitter" reference---I thought different strokes, different folks... However, this reference keeps popping up to use kitty litter,,,make sure it is silica gel.... Please correct me if I am wrong...but the kitty litter silica gel is a dessicant....used to reduce the moisture content. This type dessicant material is also used in OTC meds such as aspirin and things to keep out the moisture. By that ascertion, does this material absorb and release moisture (thereby regulating the humidity level) or does it only take moisture out of the environment. It just doesn't seem to be engineered to perform like the beads or other materials used to regulate humidity and maintain a constant specified level... If I am wrong let me know....not sure I will be on my way to buy kitty litter, but just in case please inform me.
    From what I've seen in my humidor and from I've heard about others' humidors, it does both. I know people that put kitty litter in and saw a jump from 50% to mid 60's within a day or two, and others have had the humidity drop down to the mid 60's. I started using litter about a year ago and my humidor has been between 65-70% since then.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402