Home General Discussion
Options

is 49 degrees too cold ?

So I am almost finished with my chillador except I can't get it to get any warmer than 49 degrees. Is this ok or is it too cold ? My humidity is great everything else is smooth just wondering about the temp. Also Jamaica was great ! Thanks for everyones help on the Cuban situation !

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Welcome back, did you bring enough for the whole class?

49 degrees seems a bit low, but I think the more important factor is the RH. A lot of people reference an index where different temperatures should correspond to a different RH. I've also read that the whole variable temp/RH theory is false. I personally think that if my hygrometer reads 70% RH, then I don't need to adjust my humidity regardless of temperature. For cigar aging, the optimal temperature is closer to 70 degrees.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    sightunseen:

49 degrees seems a bit low, but I think the more important factor is the RH. A lot of people reference an index where different temperatures should correspond to a different RH. I've also read that the whole variable temp/RH theory is false. I personally think that if my hygrometer reads 70% RH, then I don't need to adjust my humidity regardless of temperature. For cigar aging, the optimal temperature is closer to 70 degrees.
    Well I will have to make a few trips back to get enough for the whole class ! Fair enough I will leave tomorrow! what I ended up doing is getting a mini fridge and lining it with cedar but even on the lowest setting its still 49 degrees. Now this may change as I add my cigars ( I have nothing in it except one cedar tray ) Now this will have well over 100 cigars in it in a very short amount of time so as I am really using my small desk humidor to age cigars the chillador will be storing all of my other ones which is a lot so. Will it slow down the aging if it is cool ? I don't think there is any way I can get it to 70 degrees. My only other idea was to put the fridge on a timer, have the timer kick on the fridge once or twice a day for about 5 minutes just to add some cool air and to circulate some of the air around. Now the only bad part that I can come up with is... Is it ok to run this mini fridge on a timer ? would this be a FIRE HAZARD ! I don't see why it would be but if you all know please let me know.
  • Options
    Also I have a pound of beads. Should I put a half pound charged and a half pound uncharged in the cooler ? I feel that when the fan and cooler kicks on I will have a fluctuation so should I use both charged and uncharged to regulate in case it gets above my desired 65% ?
  • Options
    The Cank:
    Also I have a pound of beads. Should I put a half pound charged and a half pound uncharged in the cooler ? I feel that when the fan and cooler kicks on I will have a fluctuation so should I use both charged and uncharged to regulate in case it gets above my desired 65% ?
    Hate to sound so ambivalent, but I suggest charging them halfway, so it can release moisture and also have enough capacity to absorb excess moisture as well.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    49 is more than a bit too cold ........ it should'nt be any lower than 60 with trying to keep the ambient temp between 63-70 degrees ...... maybe see if you can use a timer to cycle the cooler on and off ....... the only downfall may be it could shorten the life expectancy of the cooler ....... just my two cents
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    The Cank:
    sightunseen:

Well I will have to make a few trips back to get enough for the whole class ! Fair enough I will leave tomorrow! what I ended up doing is getting a mini fridge and lining it with cedar but even on the lowest setting its still 49 degrees. Now this may change as I add my cigars ( I have nothing in it except one cedar tray ) Now this will have well over 100 cigars in it in a very short amount of time so as I am really using my small desk humidor to age cigars the chillador will be storing all of my other ones which is a lot so. Will it slow down the aging if it is cool ? I don't think there is any way I can get it to 70 degrees. My only other idea was to put the fridge on a timer, have the timer kick on the fridge once or twice a day for about 5 minutes just to add some cool air and to circulate some of the air around. Now the only bad part that I can come up with is... Is it ok to run this mini fridge on a timer ? would this be a FIRE HAZARD ! I don't see why it would be but if you all know please let me know.
    No, its not a fire hazard so long as it is on a big enough circuit and you keep the timer for every 8 hours or so. The real problem will be monitering it to make sure it is on for a short enough time so that the cool unit doesn't freeze/unfreeze and create a mess. If its set on the warmest setting, it shouldn't be an issue, but I would CLOSELY monitor it.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    The Cank:
    Hate to sound so ambivalent, but I suggest charging them halfway, so it can release moisture and also have enough capacity to absorb excess moisture as well.
    So if I charge the half pound bag and keep the other half pound bag uncharged it should be all good ? And set the timer to kick on about every 8 hours for about 5 minutes a day and hopefully all works well
  • Options
    The Cank:
    sightunseen:
    The Cank:
    So if I charge the half pound bag and keep the other half pound bag uncharged it should be all good ? And set the timer to kick on about every 8 hours for about 5 minutes a day and hopefully all works well
    I say go for it. You can always add more water if the RH turns out to be too low. I'm curious to see how your timer set-up works out.
  • Options
    Well I'll give it a try ! I'll let ya know how it works
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, one thing's for diddly-damned sure.....at 49 degrees you most certainly won't have any tobacco beetles moving around looking for a mate.

And I can think of no logical reason why 49 degrees would or could harm your sticks. I say "Go for it"!

Marty

• Options
    jlmarta:
    Well, one thing's for diddly-damned sure.....at 49 degrees you most certainly won't have any tobacco beetles moving around looking for a mate.

And I can think of no logical reason why 49 degrees would or could harm your sticks. I say "Go for it"!

Marty

Im worried that the temp will slow down or even stop the aging..... Now I have no reasoning backing this theory but it was a little concern .... so im not really sure.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Understood. I can't speak to the aging question but, with regard to the beetles, some folks freeze their incoming sticks for a few days before thawing them slowly in the fridge for another few days and putting them in their humi. So if that freezing doesn't hurt 'em, I know 49 degrees won't, either.

Actually, I wish I could get my coolidor to stay around 49 degrees. I have trouble trying to keep it at or below 70 due to where it sits in my den. It's right where the heat vent on the ceiling can blow on it and, even though I keep the vent closed, it's still hard to keep it cool enough.

Marty

• Options
    Get you a mini fridge it will def. be below 70 degrees
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Which fridge is it and can you take some pics? Thanks! (if you need help hosting pics, let me know and I'll walk you through it)
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Which fridge is it and can you take some pics? Thanks! (if you need help hosting pics, let me know and I'll walk you through it)
    Yeah I'll snap some pics once I get it up and working right. I will need some help putting them up
  • Options
    DigitsDigits Posts: 1
    It's a bit late, but what you need is a wine cooler, not a fridge. Wine coolers have a higher range. I got one of these:
    http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AW-280E.htm

And it has a setting at the top end of 66 degrees... which is much closer to the ideal 70.

HTH.
  • Options
    Yeah I ended up unplugging it and will just use it that way as a giant humidor. I am gonna rig up some computer fans to circulate the air