Home General Discussion
Options

Inexpensive Essentials

Whats up everyone,
Im a brand new enthusiast, only been smoking for a little over 1 year now. Ive been enjoying 1-2 smokes per week at the local B&M and just recently got my own 100 count Humi...

Im lookin for suggestions for inexpensive essentials that are "must haves" in any home humidor. I enjoy trying anything and everything, from mild-full bodied. Lookin for suggestions that fall in the 4-6 dollar range per stick when buying them as single sticks...

Lookin forward to the suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    ThinBluLine06:
    Whats up everyone, Im a brand new enthusiast, only been smoking for a little over 1 year now. Ive been enjoying 1-2 smokes per week at the local B&M and just recently got my own 100 count Humi... Im lookin for suggestions for inexpensive essentials that are "must haves" in any home humidor. I enjoy trying anything and everything, from mild-full bodied. Lookin for suggestions that fall in the 4-6 dollar range per stick when buying them as single sticks... Lookin forward to the suggestions.
    Usually one of the first suggestions is to get a better idea of what you enjoy, and a good affordable way to do that is the ccom house blend sampler. They're pretty popular and people have their favorites, but I think most of them are solid to very good. But they can help give you better idea of where your tastes gravitate.

As far as must haves, for me its anything RP or DPG usually. Really enjoying some Alex Bradley sticks as a late too.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. I would suggest against buying sticks one at a time except for visits to your local B&M because that is by far the most expensive way to go. The most affordable way to go, especially in the 4-6 dollar range, is right here at Ccom with their daily deals and weekend blitz. You don't always have to buy 5 or 10 (free shipping) of the same cigar on the DD because they have variety packs all the time.

Some of my affordable favorites are Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet and Saint Luis Rey.
  • Options
    Oliva Serie G Maduro, CAO Italia, RP Edge
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums ..... there are lots of great choices in the range your looking for ....... all of the above mentioned and you should really watch the ccom daily deal since you can get sticks that would normally be a bit higher right in your range ..... i'd say try the 5Vegas A Series and Cask II and anything DPG and i'd even say try the cain as well ....... again welcome do the forum and feel free to ask away with questions ....... just remember there is no such thing as a stupid question ...... but only stupid people who ask questions....
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    My recommendation would be to call Tim or Jeff and ask them for details. Explain what would like. There are a ton of cigars here that you can't get at a local B&M. If you did, they would be $5+ sticks (even more), but here they are much more inexpensive. When I came here, I thought the same thing about the price range, now, I can't tell you the last time I spent over $3 a stick. Again, call the customer service number and ask for Tim or Jeff. Whomever you get will be you new best fried.
  • Options
    FubarFubar Posts: 33
    I would check out the house blends, the daily deals and some samplers like the best of 2009. The packs offer good variety and picks and I think they will be 4-6 bucks, but they come with several in a pack so 6 stick @ 4 = 24. The packs I see are 15 - 35 so it looks to be in the price you are looking for. But I would also do as the poster said and call Tim or Jeff. Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about inexpensive, but I do know what is ESSENTIAL.

A BIGGER HUMIDOR.

When you think you've found one big enough, buy the one that is 5 times bigger. Seriously.
  • Options
    FubarFubar Posts: 33
    nightmaremike31:
    I don't know about inexpensive, but I do know what is ESSENTIAL.

A BIGGER HUMIDOR.

When you think you've found one big enough, buy the one that is 5 times bigger. Seriously.
    True I lasted 2 days before I out grew mine. However mine was quite small.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Here's some suggestions. I tend to like all smokes, regardless of strength or wrapper.
    5 Vegas Classic
    Perdomo Habano in any wrapper
    Nub Habano Torp
    5 Vegas Miami
    Padilla Habano
    Like many of the others have said. You can get a lot for a little with daily deals and specials. I go to the closeout section and buy a sampler. I bought the Habano sampler. I liked every single stick and I got 20 for 50 shipped, that's a really good deal as there are Man O War, Padilla, Nub, and Cusano sticks in there.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, haha about the bigger humidor.... I hear everyone say get a bigger one! Well, I started out last valentines day when my wife got me a 50 count....this christmas, i got a 100 count..... I guess in a few years I will be contracting someone to come rip out my spare bedroom to make a walk in unit!!!!

On the DD at Ccom, do they ever offer small samplers with 5 different sticks as opposed to 5 sticks of the same?? I have only been watching the DD everyday for about a month now...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ThinBluLine06:
    Thanks for all the suggestions, haha about the bigger humidor.... I hear everyone say get a bigger one! Well, I started out last valentines day when my wife got me a 50 count....this christmas, i got a 100 count..... I guess in a few years I will be contracting someone to come rip out my spare bedroom to make a walk in unit!!!! On the DD at Ccom, do they ever offer small samplers with 5 different sticks as opposed to 5 sticks of the same?? I have only been watching the DD everyday for about a month now...
    The Daily Deal has been Five of the same since it was started.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    dennisking:
    Here's some suggestions. I tend to like all smokes, regardless of strength or wrapper.
    5 Vegas Classic
    Perdomo Habano in any wrapper
    Nub Habano Torp
    5 Vegas Miami
    Padilla Habano

This is basically the only list you'll ever need....
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Kas, you've definitely been around far longer than I, but in the few months that I've been here I've seen the DD have a variety pack more than once. First one that comes to mind was a Gurkha 3some a month or so back.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Kas, you've definitely been around far longer than I, but in the few months that I've been here I've seen the DD have a variety pack more than once. First one that comes to mind was a Gurkha 3some a month or so back.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    Every now and then it will have a mixture usually of the same brand, but the majority are the same.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    kaspera79:
    Oh ****, You are right Hays, I bought that one.. I stand corrected.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hays:
    kaspera79:
    For the most part it is one cigar, but you're right Hays, they have offered some variety packs. A couple that come to mind for me are the Camacho robusto sampler and the La Aurora robusto sampler.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Definately anything 5 Vegas. There are a ton of different 5 Vegas samplers to choose from, grab one of them and give 'em a whirl.
  • Options
    There was a Rocky Patel sampler recently as well, I bought 2
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i was the same way when i started to smoke cigars.

i wanted the best bang for my buck.
    i also wanted a full humidor.

i ended up filling my humidors with a bunch of very decent cigars. i had a few "special occasion" cigars, but nothing to get excited about.

the guy who runs my B&M would always tell me to smoke only the cigars i like the most. only buy the best.
    I never did.

then, my humidor filled up. then a second.
    the cost was getting crazy.

i decided that my cigar budget was to not buy cigars if i could not fit them in the humidor.
    this made me very careful of what i bought or traded for. as it stands now i only seem to buy the "special occasion" cigars. my inventory is getting away from the "budget" sticks. its getting away from the cigars that im just OK with.
    it is moving quickly to only my favorites and also cigars that i would very much like to try.

my advice, though, like me, i doubt you will take it, is to only buy the cigars you love. only buy the best. dont look for a cigar that is "ok"

...especially if you dont get to smoke every day.
  • Options
    Thanks for the imput Kuzi, I think i will take the advice for the long run....Since i am so new to enjoying cigars, I am now in the phase of attempting to determine what are "ok" cigars, Vs. "great" cigars in my book....Heck, thats most of the fun in having a stick, trying them all to see what you like the best!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    There are 3 cigars that I consider to be exceptional values. Cu-Avana Intenso, Nica Libre and Diesel Unholy Cocktail. These are fairly inexpensive boxes and are some of my favorite smokes. Especialy the Nica Libre. That is a phenominal cigar, my favorite vitola is the Exclusivo, and a box of them is only about $60.
  • Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    I'd snag two of today's daily deal if I were you. AB Tempus for that price is a GREAT deal, plus it is a heck of a smoke.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Cooper33:
    I'd snag two of today's daily deal if I were you. AB Tempus for that price is a GREAT deal, plus it is a heck of a smoke.
    I def. second that! The Tempus is a phenominal smoke, and you can bet them at about half off... I got a few packs coming
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    ejenne87:
    Cooper33:
    I def. second that! The Tempus is a phenominal smoke, and you can bet them at about half off... I got a few packs coming
    I third that. I also recommend in no particular order: Padilla 1932 Padilla Habano (I like these with a lot of age but not before having them 6 months to a year) Rocky Patel Old World Reserve (more expensive) Rocky Patel Decade (more expensive) Rocky Patel Edge Corojo Rocky Patel Edge Maduro Cu-Avana Intenso (great with 6+ months of age and a bargain) Gran Habano #5 Gran Habano #3 Gran Habano 3 Siglos CAO LX2 CAO Sopranos (Associate or Soldier) - (also more expensive) CAO Brazilia Fuente Anejo Fuente Opus X Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ La Aroma de Cuba La Gloria Cubana Serie R Gurkha Blue Steel (great with 6+ months age) Cusano 1959 Rare Cameroon Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne (fantastic morning cigar) 5 Vegas Cask Strength II (while I've never tried the second version, I've read nothing but great things about them, and I loved the original version) 5 Vegas Limitada 2008 Ashton VSG (one of my favorites though quite expensive) Cohiba XV Partagas Black Partagas Spanish Rosado Oliva Serie V I think thats a pretty decent list, but remember, everyone tends to have varying tastes. Like I'm not a fan of a lot of Tatuajes, or Don Pepin Garcias. While they are good, and I do smoke some of the blends from time to time, they all tend to be too similar to me, but many love them. Also my list is not all 'inexpensive' but I would rather pay a few bucks more for good cigars, than cheaper ones for less, and if you are patient, several on the list you can get pretty cheap compared to retail MSRP. Hope this helps
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Well, my list got all crushed together, but I made my list. Sorry about that
  • Options
    Thinblu, check out todays daily deal, it is a nice variety at a great price
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Cigars that I like that also just happen to be "budget" cigars. I'm rather frugal so finding cigars that are good and cheap is almost a game for me.

5 Vegas (classic, serie A, gold)
    Rocky Patel Fusion 2nds (I can't tell a difference between the 2nds and 1sts other than lack of band)
    Cigar.com House Blends (Cuban and Cameroon Label)

I keep a good supply of all of the above in my humidor. The rest is all higher end "special occasion" cigars.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Onyx Reserve
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Being prepared, I agree here...a larger humidor and I agree with the idea of talking with Jeff or Tim...they will become your new best friend and also give you very good advice on what to try. Welcome to the BOTL and take it slow and steady....pace yourself.