Home General Discussion

5 Vegas Series A Question

Ok I am new at cigars and my wife gave me a couple of 5 Vegas Series A cigars.

I noticed that there is a wood sleeve on them. What is the purpose of it? I am guessing that this is taken off before you light and smoke, but I thought I would ask.

*I can see it now you fell off your chair from laughing at my stupid question.

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    The cedar wrapper is just for show..... take it off before lighting. You can store it with it on, though.

I just had one the other day. Very nice smoke.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    deffinately take it off, it would not burn with it on. Your wife has pretty great taste in cigars, those things are awesome!

And this isn't a stupid question, the guys here wont laugh you off the forums for any question like this. We were all new once.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Yeah, it might burn a little too fast with the cedar still there. :) We were all new once.

Make sure you have them stored properly. Check out the "cigar 101" section for storage, humidity, and smoking questions. Welcome!
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Its for when you begin your interrogation of your prisoner ...... when they dont cooperate you break off a piece and shove it under their finger nail ..... then if that doesnt work you place the said finger and a bowl of water ..... dont worry my friend you'll be enjoying this cigar so much that the screams of the prisoner wont even bother you ...... nothing but pure bliss will overwhelm you while smoking this cigar ...... and if that was too brutal ...... its really just there to make it look purdy
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the cedar sleeve actually imparts a bit of flavor to the cigar. there is a woody bite to it and a small amount of spice on that cigar. much of this is due to the cedar.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was visiting the granddaughters in Myrtle Beach last year, my wife and I went to the Blarney Stone Pub and they have a cigar bar upstairs. They used little slats of the cedar to light your cigar. I guess it's better than a match.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Has anyone ever tried smoking a stick with the cedar still on it? I think I might give that a shot.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Dude, tell us how it goes and take pictures!!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    Has anyone ever tried smoking a stick with the cedar still on it? I think I might give that a shot.
    I don't know goldy, that may not be the best reviewed cigar on the forum, I would think.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Goldy:
    I don't know goldy, that may not be the best reviewed cigar on the forum, I would think.
    "The cigar tastes very woody, an over abundance of cedary nuances...."
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    When I was visiting the granddaughters in Myrtle Beach last year, my wife and I went to the Blarney Stone Pub and they have a cigar bar upstairs. They used little slats of the cedar to light your cigar. I guess it's better than a match.
    How did you like that place? I've heard bad things....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    I'm gonna try that tonight. I got a couple of those cedar wrappers lying around. It ought to do the trick.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    1. I love the 5 Vegas Serie 'A'

2. I try to LIGHT the cigar with the cedar sleeve as well.... Don't know what it does to the flavor... but I'll be damned if it ain't cool!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I try to LIGHT the cigar with the cedar sleeve as well.... Don't know what it does to the flavor... but I'll be damned if it ain't cool!
    Have you guys never heard of cedar spills? Long splinters of cedar that you would light, and then use that to light your stick. I've never personally used one, but I've read more than once that it's the "distinguished" way to light a cigar. Apparently they were very popular in the upscale cigar dinners of the 90's cigar boom.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Hays:
    Lasabar:
    I try to LIGHT the cigar with the cedar sleeve as well.... Don't know what it does to the flavor... but I'll be damned if it ain't cool!
    Have you guys never heard of cedar spills? Long splinters of cedar that you would light, and then use that to light your stick. I've never personally used one, but I've read more than once that it's the "distinguished" way to light a cigar. Apparently they were very popular in the upscale cigar dinners of the 90's cigar boom.
    I know all about cedar spills i have used them to light ceremonial fires , and sacred Native American Pipes in Ceremony ........... that being said I would not light a cedar wrap on my cigar. I have seen a Video on another site showing you how to light a cigar using cedar spills. COOL STUFF
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Lasabar:
    Yeah, cigar Aficionado has a 5 minute long video of lighting with Cedar and they guy is so snobby he likes the smell of his own farts..... still a cool video though
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Lasabar:
    I was vacationing in Mexico at one of the resorts. In their cigar bar they have cedar to light the Cubans. I prefer my triple torch. Its quicker & easier to light the cigar evenly (for me).
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    KCW:
    Hays:
    Lasabar:
    I was vacationing in Mexico at one of the resorts. In their cigar bar they have cedar to light the Cubans. I prefer my triple torch. Its quicker & easier to light the cigar evenly (for me).
    I have actually used cedar spills before. I smoked 2 of the same cigars. One I lite with the cedar the other with a match. It was amazing that I could actually taste the match and not so with the cedar. I have also tasted the fluid from a lighter before. The taste was only for a moment and both cigars were fantastic. The difference being that there was more labor in getting the cigar lit evenly from the cedar then say a match or lighter. IMO it was fun, great for tasting and trying something new but overall I'm going to stick to my lighters & matches as they make it easier for me to enjoy my sticks. The harsh taste isn't that noticible for me.