Home General Discussion
Options

Weird Ash

I was enjoying my Gurkha Blue Stee last night and noticed the ash doing something very odd. The ash looked like a banana that was peeled and had the little strings coming off it. The "ash strings" worried me since I have had 3 before and they were all perfectly fine. Just didnt know if anyone else had this. Wanted to find out if there is a problem with my cabinet, too.

Comments

• Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I'm assuming the strings were a vein. If it is just this one, I wouldn't worry about it. It shouldn't be a problem with your humidor. Others with more experience should help a little more.
  • Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    Thanks for the relpy.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    undulac:
    I'm assuming the strings were a vein. If it is just this one, I wouldn't worry about it. It shouldn't be a problem with your humidor. Others with more experience should help a little more.
    I think Undulac hit the nail on the head.
    I too enjoyed a Blue Steel last night. They were a little fresh but it was enjoyable.

I have had the same thing with the strings and the ash looking like it is a peeling Banana. It is from a prominant vien running down the wrapper. This causes the ash to split from either side of the vien and can get to be an inch long or so. The strings are just the vien itself as it burns. Looks pretty funky huh?
  • Options
    Very freaky...it was just a weird night all around...had to chase a snarling opossum away from the dogs and try to enjoy my banana cigar. They have been resting for a little over a month...may let them go another few weeks before I revisit them.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    txjayhawk:
    had to chase a snarling opossum away from the dogs and try to enjoy my banana cigar. They have been resting for a little over a month...may let them go another few weeks before I revisit them.
    The opossum or the cigar? lol

• Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    the possums or the cigars...LOL
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've had the same thing happen a time or two. Once was a 5 Vegas Classic, which I love. It didn't concern me at the time or now for that matter. Was the cigar good otherwise ?
  • Options
    the opossum will be shot next time! nasty little thing...
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I've had the same thing happen a time or two. Once was a 5 Vegas Classic, which I love. It didn't concern me at the time or now for that matter. Was the cigar good otherwise ?
    Cigar was great! I love the blue steel. Wish I could find a bundle of them and not just a mazo of 15.
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    kaspera79:
    Cigar was great! I love the blue steel. Wish I could find a bundle of them and not just a mazo of 15.
    I've had a few Blue Steel, when they first came out last year I bought a couple 5 packs. Smoked a bunch and passed some off in games here. One of my favorite Gurkhas though, is the low priced Symphony, try that one if you get a chance.
  • Options
    I think I have one in the box...any thoughts on how long to rest it before I fire it up?
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    I think I have one in the box...any thoughts on how long to rest it before I fire it up?
    The ones I've smoked each had ( sorry to say) at least six months on them. That is the starting point for my experience with them. But, they were good enough that I would even try them right out of the mailbox.
  • Options
    fair enough...I have some empire's coming in probably tomorrow...I cant wait to try those.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    No worries on the ash.Don't over think cigar smoking. LOL
  • Options
    thanks for the tip...that has rarely been the case though....