Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Can't believe Brown won

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
If you would have told me just 2 weeks ago that a Republican was going to win the seat ol Chappaquiddick Ted had and be able to stop the Democrats take over of Healthcare, I would have said you are full of $hit. But you have to admit, this has to be the irony of all ironies. The seat held by Kennedy who championed Socialized medicine is won by a Republican who now will stop it. (THANK GOD) Gotta love it. November is going to be very interesting...

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    HEAR, HEAR!
  • Options
    Thank god!!! One of the greatest miracles of the year! Haha
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank God! It was a truly amazing victory and many more will come.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ok,
    So the real irony hear is that up until 2004 MA state law stated that any vacant senate seat would be appointed by the governor of the state. In 2004 Kerry was running for president and Mitt Romney was govenor(Republican). So the State senate didnt want to give Romney the power to seat a republican to fill Kerry's seat if he wont the presidential election. So the state congress changed the law to read that there will be a special election for any vacant seat.

Flash forward a couple years and Deval Patrick a Dem takes the Govenors office and they never repeal the above law. Kennedy kicks it and instead of Deval being able to seat a democrat they need to have a special election for the vacant seat! Hows that for irony!!!!

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ok,
    So the real irony hear is that up until 2004 MA state law stated that any vacant senate seat would be appointed by the governor of the state. In 2004 Kerry was running for president and Mitt Romney was govenor(Republican). So the State senate didnt want to give Romney the power to seat a republican to fill Kerry's seat if he wont the presidential election. So the state congress changed the law to read that there will be a special election for any vacant seat.

Flash forward a couple years and Deval Patrick a Dem takes the Govenors office and they never repeal the above law. Kennedy kicks it and instead of Deval being able to seat a democrat they need to have a special election for the vacant seat! Hows that for irony!!!!

Very true. I forgot all about that.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jsnake:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ok,

For all the folks who wanted the Health Care reform bill to die...congratulations, looks like you got exactly what you were wishing for. There is an old saying about being careful about what you wish for... time will tell for these individuals, and hopefully they and their families stay healthy.

To those who were looking forward to change ... my condolences. It looks like big business and small thinkers have prevailed.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    laker1963:
    jsnake:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ok,

For all the folks who wanted the Health Care reform bill to die...congratulations, looks like you got exactly what you were wishing for. There is an old saying about being careful about what you wish for... time will tell for these individuals, and hopefully they and their families stay healthy.

To those who were looking forward to change ... my condolences. It looks like big business and small thinkers have prevailed.

Laker I'm not sure the healthcare debate is dead. The extremely reckless rate at which it was moving might be slowed but it's not dead.
    It would be political suicide for Repubs not to take into account the sudden awareness of the american people.
    In order to remain viable they'll have to craft something with an easily decipherable language.
    And be willing to compromise on certain aspects of the bill.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    But Laker, you already have socialized medicine in BC. Don't worry, the death rate of women with *** cancer is far higher in Britain, which also has socialized medicine. It's okay, your treatment is only as important as you are and if you are old, your status goes way down. Soylent Green is Grandpa!
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    The thing people don’t stop and think about is why health care is so expensive. Stop and think about the level of care that was available 30 years ago, and what is available to you now. My dad, being 72, would have been dead several times over now without the technology we have. Various surgeries, stints, laser things, and what not to prevent strokes, heart attacks etc. As it is, he has certainly gotten his monies worth from Medicare…..very expensive. So we could roll back prices to the 70’s – as long as were willing to have 70’s level of technology.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    for some reason I was thinking this was about trading cigars..... LONG live saving insurance company profits!!!!!!! HERE HERE!!!!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    I'm not sure the healthcare debate is dead . The extremely reckless rate at which it was moving might be slowed but it's not dead.
    i agree.
    the best thing to come out of this is that the pace of government happening will now slow down.
  • Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Time for the snarky left speak now. I love when liberals call the other side small thinkers. It's funny it alway comes from the left.... us dumb, gun toten, chaw spitting Americans who can't make the right decision to give up our freedom and let the government run our life.
  • Options
    I don't want anyone to die or go without health care. I will agree the health care system needs some serious fixes as well as the insurance industry. The path we were headed down was dangerous and reckless and all in the effort to push an agenda while a certain party held all the power and could dictate every aspect of it. Before anyone babbles the non-sense of the Republicans not bringing anything to the table get a clue. The Democrats want it their way and there is no compromising with them. Now they are going to have to listen.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Whenever there is a bill in Congress that is split EXACTLY down party lines it makes me wonder if our representatives are truly representing us and what is good for Americans or if they are just politicing and settling old grudges.

Brown's win certainly is an eye-opener for a lot of people, Democrats and Republicans.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Some here have assumed all of us small thinkers actually want this hope and change they were trying to shove down our throats. Like Senator Brown said, "We can do better than this" I say "gas up the truck". All of our BIG thinking liberal BOTL's have a great surprise coming in November. The small thinkers can push back really hard when people who think they know all the answers start telling us how stupid we are and what is best for us. They usually exempt themselves from what is good for all of us also which makes us small thinkers very suspicious.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    This is rather off topic and really not too important I guess, but how did this thread get stuck in the Trades, Passes, and Bombs section of the forums? No biggie, just seems outta place. Oh yeah, woot on the win in MA!!!
  • Options
    BStayer:
    This is rather off topic and really not too important I guess, but how did this thread get stuck in the Trades, Passes, and Bombs section of the forums? No biggie, just seems outta place. Oh yeah, woot on the win in MA!!!
    I just noticed this, sorry...screwed up and thought I posted this in the non-cigar forum. oh well, I'd move it if I could.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ok,

That's a great point! lol

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    BStayer:
    Quite true, this belongs in non related section. Perhaps a moderator could move it.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol----Laker and Squirrel, and us 3 are the ones accused on changing topics and not sticking to what is being discussed........ This thread was evidently so needed to be seen by all members it wasnt even placed in the right forum.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out where the healthcare system is broken for people who don't have health insurance. My father was hospitalized for nearly a month late last year with gaul stones and kidney stones. (((spelling??))) One of the gaul stones slipped into his pancreas and threatened to shut his entire body down. My family is pretty poor. My father runs his small business that barely brings in enough money to make ends meet and hold it all together and he doesn't have health insurance. I thought this would finally be the financial ruin for them as a month long hospitalization I'm sure is a 6 figure bill. Turns out, the hospital approached them with some forms saying they might be suitable for financial assistance, and they were. They didn't pay a penny. Not one cent. The financial assistance took care of everything.

So where exactly is the healthcare system broken for people who can't afford it?
  • Options
    dennisking:
    But Laker, you already have socialized medicine in BC. Don't worry, the death rate of women with *** cancer is far higher in Britain, which also has socialized medicine. It's okay, your treatment is only as important as you are and if you are old, your status goes way down. Soylent Green is Grandpa!
    Dewd, before you start throwing out data about suvival rates and such, you should check into the "socialized" medicine system of Cuba.

They are doing very important research into Cancer medicines, send out Doctors and Nurses to other Latin American countries to help advance the other countries medical system and they actually have longer life spans then Americans do. So without spending BILLIONS of dollars to make newer more improved MRI's and such, their "Socialized system" seems to bring VERY good returns for the money they spend.

Your scare mongering can't work on me dewd. I already have Universal Medicare and it works great. I also don't have to "feel" (while doing nothing about it) badly for the family down the street who cannot afford to pay for that emergency surgery for their little girl, and now the whole family faces bankrupcty and all the ramifications that go along with that.

Don't get me wrong Dennisking, I am glad you got exactly what you wanted. Despite what you try to scare others here with, come and see if our old citizens have less status with the medical profession, they DON'T. This is just more of the outright LIES which have been used in this debate.

Why do people always use EXTREMES and scaremongering when trying to make a point.

Put it out there, honestly, and let people decide on the information. Or are you worried that your opinions would not prevail without the hard sell of fear?
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    I'm still trying to figure out where the healthcare system is broken for people who don't have health insurance. My father was hospitalized for nearly a month late last year with gaul stones and kidney stones. (((spelling??))) One of the gaul stones slipped into his pancreas and threatened to shut his entire body down. My family is pretty poor. My father runs his small business that barely brings in enough money to make ends meet and hold it all together and he doesn't have health insurance. I thought this would finally be the financial ruin for them as a month long hospitalization I'm sure is a 6 figure bill. Turns out, the hospital approached them with some forms saying they might be suitable for financial assistance, and they were. They didn't pay a penny. Not one cent. The financial assistance took care of everything.

So where exactly is the healthcare system broken for people who can't afford it?
    I would just ask... is this the exception or the rule? If everyone who could not afford to pay for their services were still getting medical attention, then obviously the medical profession would be broke in a week.

While I am very happy for your father AND your family, I still have to wonder about the thousand's of other families who DID NOT get granted financial assistance, and what their lives were like after an encounter with the medical system?

If everyone could expect the treatment you and your family received, then the present system would not work for long at all. OBVIOUSLY.
  • Options
    so you are saying that the thousands of people in canada that cross our borders and pay cash to have a better delivery for their baby are actually doing so because of the absolutely top notch care they get for "free". i don't know what type of family you have or how old you are but its important to me to have quality care. I PAY money to make sure they are taken care of. not anyone else and even if they did pass a universal healthcare bill, i wouldn't qualify but i would pay more taxes so someone else can. real fair
  • Options
    dennisking:
    so you are saying that the thousands of people in canada that cross our borders and pay cash to have a better delivery for their baby are actually doing so because of the absolutely top notch care they get for "free". i don't know what type of family you have or how old you are but its important to me to have quality care. I PAY money to make sure they are taken care of. not anyone else and even if they did pass a universal healthcare bill, i wouldn't qualify but i would pay more taxes so someone else can. real fair
    How do you know you would not qualify for a bill that hasn't even passed yet? That is hardly a good arguement point.

Can you please provide any details about these "thousands" of Canadian families going to the US to deliver their babies?

Also since you bring up the idea that our medical system is lacking with your sarcastic "Top Notch" care comment, will you please provide data which would indicate that we here in Canada recieve sub standard medical services?

I suspect that you are just talking off the top of your head, and I can't take you very seriously when you just rant , without anythin to back it up.

As for my family profile, I am 46, two grown kids, one attending University, the other working, and what exactly does that all have to do with this. Surely you are not trying to infer that I have a lesser level of concern for my family then you do yours because you pay cash for medical services and I don't?

And just for clarification here. Our system does involve paying monthly premiums to recieve medical services. It is NOT that our system is FREE> We just don't have to go into bankruptcy because of a medical condition. This is NOT a question of concern for ones family. Where did that come from? Are you always in attack mode when discussing issues?
  • Options
    laker1963:
    dennisking:
    How do you know you would not qualify for a bill that hasn't even passed yet? That is hardly a good arguement point.

Can you please provide any details about these "thousands" of Canadian families going to the US to deliver their babies?

Also since you bring up the idea that our medical system is lacking with your sarcastic "Top Notch" care comment, will you please provide data which would indicate that we here in Canada recieve sub standard medical services?

I suspect that you are just talking off the top of your head, and I can't take you very seriously when you just rant , without anythin to back it up.

As for my family profile, I am 46, two grown kids, one attending University, the other working, and what exactly does that all have to do with this. Surely you are not trying to infer that I have a lesser level of concern for my family then you do yours because you pay cash for medical services and I don't?

And just for clarification here. Our system does involve paying monthly premiums to recieve medical services. It is NOT that our system is FREE> We just don't have to go into bankruptcy because of a medical condition. This is NOT a question of concern for ones family. Where did that come from? Are you always in attack mode when discussing issues?
    Oh come on buddy, just say it, your system is so broken, the US is so much better..... excuse me I'm going to throw up! I personally wish we had a system like you have doug.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    dennisking:

Oh come on buddy, just say it, your system is so broken, the US is so much better..... excuse me I'm going to throw up! I personally wish we had a system like you have doug.
    Yeah it works for us, Pheebs.
    Don't get me wrong here, there are problems with affordability and I am NOT saying I think the people in the US should or should not attempt to build something similar. I think the system, however it looks in the US should be what the people need, and not just set up like a cash cow that it is presently, where the whole idea of what they are supposed to do gets lost in the $$$.

I only commented on this issue because of some of the scare mongering and outright bullsh!t that was being thrown around as fact here by people who were opposed to Obama's Healthcare reforms.

We pay each month for our healthcare, and premiums are based on income. Some people who make below a certain level pay nothing for their healthcare, but receive the SAME level of care and range of services as the person who pays the highest monthly premium. As I said, it is based on ability to pay.

I don't want you guy's thinking I am trying to convince you that our system is better. I am NOT. I have only responded to comments here and only for information and clarification purposes. Any comments I have made such as hoping people and their families don't go bankrupt over an illness, and things like that, have NOT been meant to be arguementative. I honestly do have GREAT sympathy for families who while trying to achieve the American dream, working hard and honestly for barely above minimum (if there is one) wage, and because someone in the family, (daughter, son, wife, father, mother) get's sick or old and perscriptions and hospital visits are needed, will never be able to achieve it. These families who may only be just making it, have no extra money, or no savings from which to draw from, so loans, (if they can get one) or credit card debt results. Because there was no extra money to begin with, the result is payments being missed or late, and then bad credit, and the spiral begins.

So a family who thru injury, sickness, bad luck, old age, child birth or whatever who instead of finding the American dream... this once hardworking family becomes broken down, resentful and a burden on the system which failed them. All their, once upon a time aspirations become just another missed attempt at providing their family with an acceptable living standard. End of my little melodrama...

This is an issue that I hope can resolve itself in a manner which you guy's who live in the US and who will be directly impacted by it ultimately want. It is you, who should be the ones who decide on it's fate. From here it is all just MY OPINION.
  • Options
    Laker, here is the reporting that talks of families coming to America to have babies, it also talks about your countries inabilities to provide quality care in high risk situations, which also addresses the "Top Notch comment".
    News story here yes it's from fox, but yes cnn has talked about this as well.
    in regards to the family comment, I would never suggest you care less, that is ludicrous. What I was trying to gain by asking is your profile. If you would've replied with "I'm a 24 year old idealist with no real world experience going to college with no family or children that I am responsible for", than I would take your comments with far less personal conviction on your part as you have zero social or socio-economic responsibility.
    In regards to the question as to whether I would be eligible. I don't make a large amount of money but I make more than the cutoff to qualify. The problem in America is that if one person makes my wages in Atlanta, they are very comfortable but in Oregon, where the cost of living is considerably higher, I live a very normal, non-excessive existance. That skews the financials as to who can qualify. Oregon has it's own socialized medicine and it is for the less financially fortunate, but again, I make more than what is allowed. It seems to me that people that make smart decisions on when to have children, how hard to work, and how much money to make get penalized by the people who have poor decision making skills, like dropping out of school and getting pregnant and not getting good jobs. That's a very basic statement but think about it. I pay so that my Wife's cousin can have $650 in food vouchers a month. She is married, neither of them work, and she has 2 kids. I spend that much on food for my family of 4 in 2 months. I pay $425 a month for good Health Insurance for my family every month. She pays none. So the question I pose is this: When is it okay for me to stop contributing and start becoming a burden. Well, it isn't. But I am punished for having drive and a will to succeed and pride in taking care of my family. When the people helping realize that no one is helping them, they will quit contributing and starting being a burden. This is what happens at the collapse of every nation that has done this.
    I know that you think I am angry and bitter and you know what, I am. Not at you but at the system you seem to support wholeheartedly without consideration for me or the others in MY country that will be adversely affected by these changes. I just don't understand how someone who seems like a caring person, which you do, can want for all your friends on here to suffer for an agenda that has no affect on you whatsoever. Sure that statement is ethnocentric but last time I checked, you weren't paying for any of our taxes. I don't think you are a bad person, I don't hate you, and I enjoy the fact that you make people think, but when you think you have the right to comment on what my country does with my money, you have thought completely and utterly wrong.
    for the record, they aren't Obama's healthcare reforms, they are the Senate and House designed reforms that he is backing. I never blamed him for this, even though he is taking a lot of the credit. For the record, it's not "Fearmongering" when it's the truth
  • Options
    dennisking:
    Laker, here is the reporting that talks of families coming to America to have babies, it also talks about your countries inabilities to provide quality care in high risk situations, which also addresses the "Top Notch comment".
    News story here yes it's from fox, but yes cnn has talked about this as well.
    in regards to the family comment, I would never suggest you care less, that is ludicrous. What I was trying to gain by asking is your profile. If you would've replied with "I'm a 24 year old idealist with no real world experience going to college with no family or children that I am responsible for", than I would take your comments with far less personal conviction on your part as you have zero social or socio-economic responsibility.
    In regards to the question as to whether I would be eligible. I don't make a large amount of money but I make more than the cutoff to qualify. The problem in America is that if one person makes my wages in Atlanta, they are very comfortable but in Oregon, where the cost of living is considerably higher, I live a very normal, non-excessive existance. That skews the financials as to who can qualify. Oregon has it's own socialized medicine and it is for the less financially fortunate, but again, I make more than what is allowed. It seems to me that people that make smart decisions on when to have children, how hard to work, and how much money to make get penalized by the people who have poor decision making skills, like dropping out of school and getting pregnant and not getting good jobs. That's a very basic statement but think about it. I pay so that my Wife's cousin can have $650 in food vouchers a month. She is married, neither of them work, and she has 2 kids. I spend that much on food for my family of 4 in 2 months. I pay $425 a month for good Health Insurance for my family every month. She pays none. So the question I pose is this: When is it okay for me to stop contributing and start becoming a burden. Well, it isn't. But I am punished for having drive and a will to succeed and pride in taking care of my family. When the people helping realize that no one is helping them, they will quit contributing and starting being a burden. This is what happens at the collapse of every nation that has done this.
    I know that you think I am angry and bitter and you know what, I am. Not at you but at the system you seem to support wholeheartedly without consideration for me or the others in MY country that will be adversely affected by these changes. I just don't understand how someone who seems like a caring person, which you do, can want for all your friends on here to suffer for an agenda that has no affect on you whatsoever. Sure that statement is ethnocentric but last time I checked, you weren't paying for any of our taxes. I don't think you are a bad person, I don't hate you, and I enjoy the fact that you make people think, but when you think you have the right to comment on what my country does with my money, you have thought completely and utterly wrong.
    for the record, they aren't Obama's healthcare reforms, they are the Senate and House designed reforms that he is backing. I never blamed him for this, even though he is taking a lot of the credit. For the record, it's not "Fearmongering" when it's the truth
    I know, the cost of living throughout the country really sucks. I wish I made my wages in say Georgia.
  • Options
    you and I both Pheebs. I can say this, it's a lot cheaper to live in Columbus Ohio than it is to live here, when housing costs are concerned, but the property taxes are 250 more a month for my brother in law. He pays 4500 a year, i pay 1500. but they also have better schools so it's the difference in private school costs vs. public.