Home General Discussion
Options

To Smoke, or Not To Smoke???

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
I've had a Gurkha Legend sitting in the humi resting for almost a year now and it's been TOUGH to keep my hands off of it this long. I know many of you out there have had these before and I was just wondering what everyone thought... Should I go ahead and give it a try or let it sit longer? I have very high hopes for it and can't wait to try it... but will it be worth waiting if I let it age another year or 6 months or what?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this is kind of the reason that i have an aging humidor. if i dont open that one as much i wont see what i have and the temptation factor is down.

on that note, cigars are made to be smoked. how do you enjoy a cigar without smoking it.

having a cigar and not smoking it is like having a corvette and not driving it, or a bottle of wine and not drinking it. you get the most joy out of using a product for its original intent.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    I've had a Gurkha Legend sitting in the humi resting for almost a year now and it's been TOUGH to keep my hands off of it this long. I know many of you out there have had these before and I was just wondering what everyone thought... Should I go ahead and give it a try or let it sit longer? I have very high hopes for it and can't wait to try it... but will it be worth waiting if I let it age another year or 6 months or what?
    A year, Smoke It !! Make notes on what you think about it, buy two more and then put some serious age on one .. a few years When you smoke Grandpa Gurkha go back to your notes and see for yourself what the extra time did for it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And to further the suggestion made by kas, you could also buy a box, put it away for a year and then smoke one cigar every 6 months or so until you feel the additional age is doing them no good, at which point you smoke them like they're going out of style.
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    thats a good idea
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    And to further the suggestion made by kas, you could also buy a box, put it away for a year and then smoke one cigar every 6 months or so until you feel the additional age is doing them no good, at which point you smoke them like they're going out of style.
    A box is a bit of an investment to just hold for years.. I USUALLY only age boxes of cigars that I really like, and have been enjoying with consistency for a long time..most often I buy a few with the intention of seriously aging only one or two.. I just checked Robusto box of Legends 239.00 bucks I'd want to start smoking 'em if I just spent that much.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I hear ya kas. I know some people follow that method, I'm not one. By the time the boxes I have hit the 2-3 year mark, I'll likely have less than 10 left. Though I like the idea of exclusively aging a box of cigars to bring out its true character, it is quite an investment of time. I also noticed the Legend is a bit pricey, so maybe buying a handful and putting them away is a better idea for those who don't want to invest such a chunk.
  • Options
    Well that pretty much makes my mind up for me! haha I know what I'm going to be enjoying tonight on the balcony! Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone. I will give it a shot and if its as good as I am hoping it will be I'll go buy me a handful to throw in the humi for the long haul.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    After a year, I'd say go for that sucker. I had mine after only a few weeks and I really enjoyed it. I have one left and want to age it before smoking it but it's all too tempting. That's what I love about 5 packs. There's enough of them in there to get an idea of whether or not you like the cigar over time, letting some of them age in the process. If you're not ready to drop the cash on a whole box or don't know if it's going to be one of your favorite smokes, go for the 5er. Most places online offer them for just that reason. Either way, hope you enjoy it and it was worth every second you patiently aged it in your humi. That takes a lot of willpower.
  • Options
    Yea, I am going to fire it up tonight and enjoy it with a nice glass of Bushmills!!! I'll let everyone know how I liked it!
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    PuroFreak:
    Yea, I am going to fire it up tonight and enjoy it with a nice glass of Bushmills!!! I'll let everyone know how I liked it!
    Now Bushmills that is some fine Irish Whisky....take a snort for me too....
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Go ahead and smoke it. If you regret doing so, send me a pm. I have 50 aged since April 2006, I'd be willing to part with a few. Capt
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Capt:
    I have 50 aged since April 2006, I'd be willing to part with a few. Capt
    Damn, I wanna spend some time in your humidor. I'm wishing Michigan wasn't so far away or I'd be there for the sit-down.
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    Capt:
    I have 50 aged since April 2006, I'd be willing to part with a few. Capt
    Damn, I wanna spend some time in your humidor. I'm wishing Michigan wasn't so far away or I'd be there for the sit-down.
    Anytime. Just ask the people who have been here before, I am more than generous with my smokes.
  • Options
    michigan is a great state i would say the best place for a cigar sit down! capt your the one with the walk in humidor correct?
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    michigan is a great state i would say the best place for a cigar sit down! capt your the one with the walk in humidor correct?
    Although you can stand in it, it's not really a walk-in, I guess. It's about 3 foot deep, four foot wide and 8 feet tall, built in the house. It has about 6 angled shelves, 6 50ct aging bins, two flat shelves for coffins and tubes, and a ton of storage room on the floor. And yes, check out the Capt's Mid-west sitdown thread.
  • Options
    very nice well im thinking of building one about ... the space i will be using is 8foot long and 8 foot wide if you have any pointers it would be much apreciated
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    very nice well im thinking of building one about ... the space i will be using is 8foot long and 8 foot wide if you have any pointers it would be much apreciated
    If I knew how to post pics, I would post them so you could get a better look.
  • Options
    sackermasackerma Posts: 45
    SMOKE IT.... i couldnt bear to wait that long..
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    good things come to those who wait.

i have a few of these from o6 in my humidor.
  • Options
    Ok, I smoked it and do not regret it a bit!!! The only thing I do regret is that I don't have a couple more to sit on for another year or two! Great smoke!!! Also had a Cuesta-Rey Sun Grown and it was a good stick too. Went to my local B&M yesterday and bought me a Nub Camaroon and a Fuente Hemmingway! Been wanting to try those for a long time now. Also picked up a couple more tatuaje havanas.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    im gonna have that engraved on my aging humidor
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    DiasFlak:
    kuzi16:
    Oh-uh you're in trouble. Welcome to the darkside my friend, once you have an aging humidor, its official .....
  • Options
    madurofan:
    DiasFlak:
    kuzi16:
    Oh-uh you're in trouble. Welcome to the darkside my friend, once you have an aging humidor, its official .....
    are you my father? i just think it would be a good thing to read before you open it up
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    are you my father?
    I don't think so ... but you never know, how old are you? Where was your mother living when she got pregnant with you?
  • Options
    20 and indiana
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Son!!
  • Options
    urbino:
    Son!!
    Well looks like you may have found your father, after all these years ...
  • Options
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Son!!
    Well looks like you may have found your father, after all these years ...
    I would suggest finding a lawyer who can get back child support payable in aged cigars.
  • Options
    lol hmmm i will have to do this! urbino iam sueing you for cigars!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Dude, I live in Memphis. Have you seen The Firm? Are you sure you want to tangle with my lawyers?