Home Cigar 101
Options

humidity beads

2»

Comments

• Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I don't think excess air movement or humidity being pumped in will be an issue since I'm using both fridges unplugged. One of them actually has the compressor and everything removed, so it's basically a cooler with a nice door on it. So there won't be any continuous air movement in them at all, aside from opening them to add/take or the oggling of the contents (really, who can keep their eyes/hands off!). I figured they'd get opened a couple times a week just so I know the air is being circulated "manually." Once I get them both ready to roll I'll try to get some pics up for all to critique.
  • Options
    Just a quick update...I got two pounds of 65% beads in the fridges now with the calibrated hygrometers. I'm gonna wait a few days for it to stabilize in there and hopefully start adding inventory soon. Next on the agenda will be some spanish cedar shelves...
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Some BOTL's on here make shelves, like Cabinetmaker or Waxing Moon, though the cost is typically $20-$30 per shelf. If you wanna do it yourself, just find a local lumber supplier that has kiln-dried spanish cedar; get them to cut it so it's between 1/4 to 1/2 inches thick, then find out if you're handy or not. Here's my attempt: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/302034/ShowThread.aspx
  • Options
    So I'm having problems with the beads. I gave them a light spraying in the mesh bags with distilled water and put one pound in each fridge. The humidity shot up to around 80%. I ended up moving everything into our bedroom (wife not too thrilled) to help combat the ambient humidity being too high. The bedroom typically stays climate controlled (heat in the winter, a/c in the summer) so things should be more stable. However, when I checked on them today, the humidity was hovering around 75% with the beads in there. When I take all the beads out, the rH stays in the 60% range.

My questions, for those of you that have success with the beads, how do you dry them out? I thought having 65% beads would hold the rH right at or very rear to 65%. (Both hygrometers are salt test calibrated within the last week). How effective would it be to put the beads in being entirely dry?

Also, I'll be adding spanish cedar shelves here in the next couple of days. How much will this help keep the rH under control?

Lastly, what effect will putting boxes/sticks in there have? Will they help suck in some of the humidity and keep things stable?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    skweekz:
    So I'm having problems with the beads. I gave them a light spraying in the mesh bags with distilled water and put one pound in each fridge. The humidity shot up to around 80%. I ended up moving everything into our bedroom (wife not too thrilled) to help combat the ambient humidity being too high. The bedroom typically stays climate controlled (heat in the winter, a/c in the summer) so things should be more stable. However, when I checked on them today, the humidity was hovering around 75% with the beads in there. When I take all the beads out, the rH stays in the 60% range.

My questions, for those of you that have success with the beads, how do you dry them out? I thought having 65% beads would hold the rH right at or very rear to 65%. (Both hygrometers are salt test calibrated within the last week). How effective would it be to put the beads in being entirely dry?

Also, I'll be adding spanish cedar shelves here in the next couple of days. How much will this help keep the rH under control?

Lastly, what effect will putting boxes/sticks in there have? Will they help suck in some of the humidity and keep things stable?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Sounds like you over charged your beads. Adding the shelves, sticks, boxes and such will absorb some of the moisture. You can remove your beads and lighty blow dry them, be careful not to get too close or they will fly. You asked about putting beads in dry? At least 30% of my beads are always dry. Some of them have to be dry in order to absorb excess moisture or they would only workone way. You can dry some of them out.
  • Options
    laker and xmacro...thanks for the advice!