Home General Discussion
Options

Need a new place to smoke

I have decided that I need to find a new shop. I am tired of going in and being talked to like I am an idiot. I like to think I am not an idiot but who knows. I am only asking if he has any reccomendations or anything new to try. I cant even sit there and enjoy a smoke anymore. There is another place to go thats about 30 min away but you have to pay a annual fee to use there lounge. Its like $550 per year with a free monthly stick and another $350 if you want a locker. I cant afford to pay that kind of yearly fee just to have a place to go smoke. But they do have a good selection and fair pricing so I will at least make a few purchases from them. Looks like I have to make my own lounge. My garage is heated and I smoke in there now but now I have to convince my wife that its better to have a few lazy boys and a plasma in there than her car. I dont see that working. Oh well I just wanted to vent for a minute.

Comments

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    That sux that your B&M is not as accomodating as they should be. I am really blessed that the owner of my B&M is a customer of mine so we provide each other with a good level of customer service. It works out well.
    As far as the garage, I smoke in the garage, I have my stereo in there and just open the door while I chill in a lawn chair and smoke. My wife doesn't care at all. I use a propane catalytic heater. Works out really well for the winter. For summer I have a deck that overlooks the two streams on my lot.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Dennis, I see why you are the king...sounds nice and relaxing in the summer.
  • Options
    hahahahaha, def. not the king, except maybe king of all poor people. blessed, yes, king, only in name.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I use the garage in winter if it is cold. Pretty sparse in there, I have a chair and a radio. Most of the time, summer or winter I have my back porch which is large, private and open so I can watch the birds on the feeders while I smoke. Compromise on the garage and make the best of it. leave the snobby B&M to fend for themselves, they obviously don't appreciate the business.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    down in summit mall there is a great shop. be there on feb 27th and a few guys from here will be there too.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My B & M is great but he only has one table and no chairs or stools. I go there now from time to time because I don't smoke in the house and it's too damn cold in NY. The shop is great and the staff is very friendly and helpful, so I enjoy going there, but I hate having to drive from my home just to enjoy a cigar. Is summer coming?

The owner of the B & M was supposed to be in on one of the Montecristo lounges being built and he has the space next door to his shop, but I guess it fell through. Bummer!
  • Options
    It sucks that most store owners are not businessmen. I will say thou that there's a huge difference when you join a Lounge then smokin at a B & M. I belong to one and I pay 25 bucks a month. They are always friendly and on top of their game always. Plus your always around people that want to be there and enjoy cigars just like you.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I consider myself very lucky, I have several local places to smoke at when it gets cold and i dont feel like smoking in my garage.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    In Oregon it's tough as it is illegal to smoke in any public building, including a bar, unless you did over $60,000 a year in tobacco business. Locally, my B&M was allowed to do it, and filed the extension paperwork, but the paperwork has temporarily suspended so there is no smoking in the store. They setup nice chairs out front with heaters and shade tents but when it gets stormy, there is no other choice but private property
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here where I live there are only a few bars where smoking is allowed but I don't particularly like the prices of their booze so I don't go there. However, I belong to both the Elks Lodge and the Moose Lodge. The Elks lodge is in the town just across the river but the Moose lodge is only a few blocks from where I live and they have a smoking lounge.

This is a great setup because the price of the drinks is a lot more reasonable, it's heated in winter and cooled in summer, has TV and a good exhaust fan - what could be better (except for my own patio)? Our Saturday afternoon herfing group gathers at the Moose Lodge and it's quite enjoyable.

Marty

• Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    The guys at one of my B&M's are **** bags that look down on anyone not smoking a cohiba/monte or other name, and the other B&M is kinda cliquey. They look at you weird when you come in if you're not one of a few older guys, and don't even think about joining in on a conversation...SO, I built a roof over my deck over the weekend, and hung tarps up for walls, and now it holds enough heat to keep it warmish and they keep the rain out. It's pretty sweet, I know...
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    kuzi16:
    down in summit mall there is a great shop. be there on feb 27th and a few guys from here will be there too.
    I am assuming you are talking about Village Tobacconist. I might be able to make it down there for that. It all depends on the time you were meeting up. I am about 45 min to an hour depending on traffic away. I wouldnt be able to get there until about 430 or 5 thanks to work. Unless I take some vacation time. I have been looking for an excuse to use some. I will check into that. Thanks for letting me know about that.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I am pretty lucky. I have been visiting many B&Ms here in Kansas City lately. I have discovered we have tons of great places I never even knew about. None of the B&Ms here charge anything for you to use their lounge. A few you can even bring your own sticks in. Most ask that you purchase a stick in order to use the lounge but you don't have to smoke the one you bought. Really easy going and friendly. I am really enjoying my start at repping cigars. Making so many new friends and contacts. Kansas City is truly a wonderful place for cigars.