Home General Discussion

Cigar Collection Database

KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
This was discussed on here a little while back. Someone was going to develop a web based one. I currently use "The Cigar Register" but some had reported problems and even though it works (for me), there are some things I really don't like about it. I was wondering if that gentelman who was designing one was getting close (if anyone knows).

Comments

• JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    yeah, I remember that thread. Who was that masked man who was going to "whip-up" a program for us? Currently I'm using Mobile Stogie for my I-touch. Nice little program and super easy to use.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Jdorais:
    yeah, I remember that thread. Who was that masked man who was going to "whip-up" a program for us? Currently I'm using Mobile Stogie for my I-touch. Nice little program and super easy to use.
    I thought about downloading that app on my iphone... is it worth four bucks?
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Well, that was me. That was before an old 'injury' sprung up again and other than checking a few messages and forums, I can't spend any real time at the computer, or doing much else. Sorry for the delay.

I did get a start on the web based form for inputting cigar related data, but that's as far as I got.

My idea would be much less fancy than some of the currently available systems, and hopefully I can design it to work for almost any computer operating system or web browser.

My last project was to design and build over 15 online training programs and the database to hold all of the training records, so I figure once I get better this should be a weekend project. If it doesn't work out, oh well.

Once I have something ready for 'Beta' testing, I'll be sure to post a link.

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    No iPhone.. Guess I'll go back to the old Excel Spreadsheet...
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    robbyras:
    Jdorais:
    I thought about downloading that app on my iphone... is it worth four bucks?
    You know what. yes it's worth 4 bux. It comes loaded with a bunch of sticks both ISOM and not ISOM. It's pretty simple to use too.
  • gdillygdilly Posts: 17
    Agreed. As long as your connected to Wi-Fi it even populates the app with the biggest names of cigars with all their information and labels. I've really enjoyed this app, always update it, and even find myself just looking through my collection (even if it's still really small).
  • The Mobile Stogie app is definitely worth the price of admission. The author has made relatively regular updates and added features, plus the cigar database is continually updated. You can store smoking notes in it, date purchased, price, place etc. You can have it pick a random cigar. You can add cigars that aren't in the database. It's awesome.
  • I have mobile stogie as well. Pretty cool little app. I use the masking tape and sharpie method the most.
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    KCW:
    This was discussed on here a little while back. Someone was going to develop a web based one. I currently use "The Cigar Register" but some had reported problems and even though it works (for me), there are some things I really don't like about it. I was wondering if that gentelman who was designing one was getting close (if anyone knows).

pm sent
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    KCW:
    I was wondering if that gentelman who was designing one was getting close (if anyone knows).
    That was me, in case you all missed my post in the middle of this tread. Please read my earlier post for my excuse.

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Is it bad that I want to buy an iTouch just so I can have that app? lol.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    beardedcanadian:
    KCW:

pm sent
    Didn't get your PM
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Is mobile stogie only available for the iToy, I mean the CrApple, I mean ... well you know. Is it only available for that or does it work with a grown ups product like the Blackberry Storm?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Is mobile stogie only available for the iToy, I mean the CrApple, I mean ... well you know. Is it only available for that or does it work with a grown ups product like the Blackberry Storm?
    HA!
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    HA!
    Although I also hate Blackberries as well..
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    HA!
    Android FTW
    They Crackberry Storm 2 is what the iPhone aspires to be when it grows up.
    sightunseen:
    Lasabar:
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    HA!
    Android FTW
    If it wasn't the first addition I would have probably gone with the Droid over the Storm. I just don't buy the first release of anything. Of course Google is becoming the new evil empire and their "privacy" policies terify me.
    madurofan:
    sightunseen:
    Lasabar:
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    HA!
    Android FTW
    If it wasn't the first addition I would have probably gone with the Droid over the Storm. I just don't buy the first release of anything. Of course Google is becoming the new evil empire and their "privacy" policies terify me.
    Actually for me anything HTC touches turns to gold, be it Windows Mobile or Android.

Android the operating system is too bare bones and is too bland and an Iphone Imitator... Android or Windows Mobile with "HTC Sense UI" is where it is AT! And the New Snapdragon processor at 1Ghz is a beastly combo... I do not have such a phone, but dammit I want IT!!!
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    sightunseen:
    Lasabar:
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    HA!
    Android FTW
    Actually for me anything HTC touches turns to gold, be it Windows Mobile or Android.

Android the operating system is too bare bones and is too bland and an Iphone Imitator... Android or Windows Mobile with "HTC Sense UI" is where it is AT! And the New Snapdragon processor at 1Ghz is a beastly combo... I do not have such a phone, but dammit I want IT!!!
    Unfortunately the Droid that HTC made for verizon the "Erios" is a complete piece of ****. It lags incredibly, has horrendous battery life. Its awkward to use and has the poorest touch screen I've ever played with. They need to go back to the drawing board altogether on that one.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Been looking for an excuse for ages to buy an iphone...always put off by the price...maybe this can help justify buying one.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    madurofan:
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    sightunseen:
    Lasabar:
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:
    HA!
    Android FTW

Unfortunately the Droid that HTC made for verizon the "Erios" is a complete piece of ****. It lags incredibly, has horrendous battery life. Its awkward to use and has the poorest touch screen I've ever played with. They need to go back to the drawing board altogether on that one.
    will be interesting when Verizon carries the Nexus One, but really I'm waiting for a Windows Mobile phone with the same kind of processing power as that Nexus One. I played around with an HTC Imagio with WM 7. It lagged a bit, but it is running a 528 Mhz processor, I'd be interested to see what WM 7 would be like with some more power to process.
    Hawk55:
    Been looking for an excuse for ages to buy an iphone...always put off by the price...maybe this can help justify buying one.
    Don't do it. First you'll have AT&T and their crappy 3G coverage. Second you'll just be another adult carrying around a kids toy.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    the only problem I have ever had with my iphone, during the 2 years of ownership, was with the ipod feature... it would play the music at chipmunk speed... so apple gave me a new one... love the phone... just downloaded the app, so we'll see how that goes... and I am typing this on my imac... college turned me into a mac user and I haven't looked back...
    Many things and people have tried to turn me into an apple user.
    The difference is I WORK on my devices. I use my blackberry more for business than play. I use my laptops for business more than play.

As multimedia toys apple products are fine. As a legitimate business product I despise them. Why do I want to use a properiatary, non standards compliant, over-priced machine just to avoid a few malicious programs that are easily avoidable by using FREE programs such as AVG Anti-virus and Spybot.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    madurofan:
    The difference is I WORK on my devices. I use my blackberry more for business than play. I use my laptops for business more than play.

As multimedia toys apple products are fine. As a legitimate business product I despise them. Why do I want to use a properiatary, non standards compliant, over-priced machine just to avoid a few malicious programs that are easily avoidable by using FREE programs such as AVG Anti-virus and Spybot.
    Ssshhhh! You're ruining Apple's grip on the young and impressionable!
    TatuajeVI:
    madurofan:

Ssshhhh! You're ruining Apple's grip on the young and impressionable!
    lmao.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    TatuajeVI:
    Is it bad that I want to buy an iTouch just so I can have that app? lol.
    Phil I was thinking the exact same thing! Dang Blackberry & me being technology challenged.