Home Ratings & Reviews

Sol Cubano Artisan... a $25 dud.

So I got the special a while ago that had four of these in it, and I've smoked two so far. The first one I smoked a while ago, the second just a couple days ago. I smoked the first relatively soon after receiving it. I cut a reasonable amount of the head off, but I could hardly take a puff without feeling like I'd just put my mouth over a smoke machine's nozzle at a concert. In addition, it burned unevenly and I eventually gave up on it. The second I smoked more recently, and my humidor has been stable at 68-70% RH for the past month and a half and some since I put beads in there, and was only a little over before that. I cut a smaller opening because of the previous experience, but this time the cigar had little to no draw. Eventually I tried to use my cigar poker on it out of irritation, but the tobacco was so tightly packed that I split the wrapper even trying to use it gently.

The flavor on this 'gar is great, but I'd say the construction issues I've experienced with this, as well as a couple other Sol Cubano cigars, have just about permanently turned me off to the brand. I've still got 2 more Artisans left from this sampler, and some Connecticuts, Sumatras and Maduros left from another one, but unless the rest of them smoke just about perfectly, I'm afraid I can't recommend this brand.

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That's disappointing, gdf; especially for a cigar that spendy. The Artisan always catches my eye when I'm perusing the brands list. I've nearly pulled the trigger on that sampler a few times, but never quite did it. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Bummer deal. I've got a couple of these i received in a trade and just haven't taken the time to settle down with one. From my experience, I've got nothing but good to say about SC, so hopefully I fare better with this one.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've only had the SC Cuban Cabinets and Sumatras but I'm yet to have one with construction issues. I'd shoot a note to Ccom and tell them you smoked two dud artisans, I haven't done this with ccom but I know most places will stand behind their products and send you another few.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    hmm.. that reminds me.. I think I smoked a couple of dud GoF's last week.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    LMAO, I think they might look back at your records to see if you did indeed purchase a GoF.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    25 dollar dud is never any fun...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I think they will check the records on that one joe, hope you didn't " misplace your receipt " :}
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:
    I think they will check the records on that one joe, hope you didn't " misplace your receipt " :}
    hmmm.. I'm sure it's around here somewhere... just send them along and I'll fax the receipt as soon as it turns up :)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:
    hmmm.. I'm sure it's around here somewhere... just send them along and I'll fax the receipt as soon as it turns up :)
    I'm still waiting for the replacement on the Box of bum Opus X I bought. Darned if I didn't misplace the paperwork on those too. ( I hope everyone knows I'm full of S***. Service and product here are both great )
  • I smoked a SCA about six months ago that one of my Captains gave me.  I thought that it was a great smoke.  I don't remember any problems that I had smoking it, and I definately would have noted them in my log that I keep for all of my cigars.  Maybe you just got some REALLY bad ju-ju with two bad sticks.  I hope the other two are better so you can enjoy an awesome smoke.
  • I've smoked a few of the Cubano's but never an artisan. I've never had a construction problem, but the cigars themselves never really blew me out the water either. Good smokes, but nothing special IMO. I've been eyeing the Artisans to buy but thats a lot of money to spend on something to just look at given my uninterest in the rest of the line.
  • wilbr11wilbr11 Posts: 49
    I have had 1 of the Artisans it was enough to turn me off. I made it MAYBE 1/2 of the way thru it. I finally gave up. I was very disappointed by this cigar.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    There seems to be a consensus here that this is the one dud in the Sol Cubano lineup. It's really surprising, considering how good their other offerings are.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I don't know... the one I've hod was pretty good. I still have one aging a bit and I put one into the pass. I hope whoever gets it enjoys it. Maybe they aren't very consistent?
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I've read reviews that say it would be a great $7 cigar, that the blend is good but just doesn't justify the $25 price tag. I want to smoke the one I have, but then I won't have it anymore. If I can score some for the price I've seen at auction, around $6-7 each, I'll buy a fiver and light up this rested one.