Home General Discussion
Options

Glass top humidor

I am getting a friend of mine a humidor for his birthday and wanted to check on something before I bought anything. I was looking into a glass top but was wondering if there are any problems with the glass. Any temp or humidity issues with the glass or is it just as good as a solid wood top. I would think that glass wouldnt be used if there were any problems but I would rather ask you guys.

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Dustin1981:
    I am getting a friend of mine a humidor for his birthday and wanted to check on something before I bought anything. I was looking into a glass top but was wondering if there are any problems with the glass. Any temp or humidity issues with the glass or is it just as good as a solid wood top. I would think that glass wouldnt be used if there were any problems but I would rather ask you guys.
    No real problem at all, I don't have one but would like one so I don't have to open mine to see where my Rh is at!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Dustin1981:
    No real problem at all, I don't have one but would like one so I don't have to open mine to see where my Rh is at!
    That is the reason why I only buy glass tops. I can check the RH w/o disrupting the environment.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I have a glass top. It's nice checking the rh without opening the lid. I also went and bought a cheap hygrometer from Walmart, don't have much confidence in the analog.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I have a glass top and I don't run into issues with temp/RH. Like the others, it's nice to be able to check on the RH without opening a lid.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    The only real downside is in placing your humidor where the sun can't shine in. You should never place your humidor in the sunshine to begin with, but the effect of heating your humi and the way the sunlight can bleach your sticks in the top tray would really be a problem if the sun got to it. Keep them out of the sunlight and glass top humis are great! My brother has one and it looks nice.

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I love my glass top humi. I use it as my dedicated ager and I can see in and look at my sticks without opening it. No problems.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    You shouldn't experience problems. I love the two I have - allows me to stare at my sticks and drool on the glass. And check the rH, of course. Now, if only I could have a glass top coolidor. That'd be the shiznit.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    hey all I have a glass top humidor and was wondering where you guys put your digital hygros, since its glass I cant seem to find a place to put the magnet where it will fit and its taking up precious real estate for my sticks! Ive got a caliber III btw
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    illinoisgolf99:
    hey all I have a glass top humidor and was wondering where you guys put your digital hygros, since its glass I cant seem to find a place to put the magnet where it will fit and its taking up precious real estate for my sticks! Ive got a caliber III btw
    I don't use a magnet for mine. I have 2 I'm using right now in my cabinet humi. One I place on the very top and the other at the bottom. I just angle the one at the bottom against one of my boxes where I can just see it through the glass.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    You shouldn't experience problems. I love the two I have - allows me to stare at my sticks and drool on the glass. And check the rH, of course. Now, if only I could have a glass top coolidor. That'd be the shiznit.
    And the good thing about glass, the drool cleans right up!