Home General Discussion
Options

For the Troops

As some of you know I am currently working Iraq. While over here, I have been going to a weekly 'Holy Smoke' that is led by the unit's Chaplain. We usually have a group of 12-15 folks each week and we discuss various topics. It's good times and helps the troops to relax and think about not being over here.

So I have been thinking of putting together a cigar care package for the troops when I go home on R&R to try to fill up the Chaplain's humi. Well, I will be home in the next several days. He has a 150 count humi that has plenty of space. With it being so dry over here its not that easy to maintain an RH so they could also use a better humidifier than the ole green sponge. Although, I was able to give them a few pillows that Maddy hooked me up with. I will also try to put together a tuppador or two to ship the smokes in and maybe expand thier storage.

So, if anyone would like to pitch in and contribute or participate in any way please let me know on here or in a PM. Once I get everything straight when I get home I will pass along the addy. OOHRAH!

Thanks y'all

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'll contribute some stogies.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Wonder if beads might work alittle better, lord knows I know a few things about that part of the world....let me know what I can do to help..
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    if you ened anything ask ill do my best and im sure i have a ton of tubebrware gf keeps alot
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Beads will probably be the best to use. I am upgrading to them when I get home so I will throw some in for them also. The main thing is smokes, they don't have to be the greatest ones but some decent daily smokes. I know the last batch was a a couple of bundles of Primeros, a variety pack from the different countries. They are not too bad. Anything you want to send will help though. Thanks again y'all.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I was gonna offer to have some beads shipped, since heartfelt offers free shipping to military addresses, but if you're ordering some anyway it probably makes sense for you to just order extra. (better price per ounce)

Anyway, get me your address and I'll kick in a few sticks.
  • Options
    For that matter, if you call up heartfelt and let them know what its for, they might even cut you a deal... Probably worth a try.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thats a damn good idea
  • Options
    That is a good idea, I may give that a try once im home. I will send out a PM with the addy in the next few days.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any advice for some good (but inexpensive) bundled cigars? I need to see what I can get to send over here beyond what I can get donated. Thanks.
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    You mean that you haven't been able to get enough donated? C'mon guys lets get together and send out a nice package to the guys out serving the country!

I'm sure most of ya are sitting on some extra cigars on hand that you can spare...
  • Options
    I'm still donating some, but if you're gonna buy some I'd probably go with the Primeros. They are a buck a stick in bundles of 50. I have one of the Dominican Primeros on my humi, I can go smoke it and report back if you like :-)
  • Options
    I can now recommend the Dominican Primeros with confidence. It isn't the prettiest thing to look at, but I had absolutely zero construction/burn problems and the flavor was decent. I think its an especially good hot weather smoke, since its not overpowering. I just enjoyed it in 92 degree (realfeel 101) weather with a glass of iced tea.
  • Options
    Yeah, the Primeros are good, we have those here. I was thinking of getting something different for variety.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I'm gonna say it again Sancho Panza, I beleive a bundle is 40 or 50....ah hell just send me an address and I'll get some to you guys
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks Mark. Sorry if I missed the recommendation. The net out here has been iffy lately. I will be PMing everyone over the next couple of days. Thanks again.
  • Options
    PMs for Everyone
    Thanks for the help, y'all.
  • Options
    So I got quite a few cigars from several of y'all. Thanks for all the help and donations. I will be shipping them next week right before I leave to go back.

Other than that my R&R has ben great. I spent 5 days in Cancun with the wife. All you can eat and drink was nice. I smoked a few cigars down there with some difficulty. It was so humid and windy it was hard to get an even burn and to keep them lit. But the smokes were enough considering I was on the beach and not in the desert.