Home Non Cigar Related
Options

When do you get to retire?

I calculated today that i can retire in 8426 days. I am suddenly feeling a little depressed. I think I need to figure out a way to make this number look a little smaller. Update to follow if I can reduce the number.

When do you get to retire?

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    The earliest I can retire and start collecting my pension is Feb 28, 2027....... I max out in 2029. This all can change if they re-negotiate a better contract with say, a 20 year max on pensions. I also have to factor in that I'll have pay out-of-pocket for health ins until I'm 60 which could push my retirement back to 2037.......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    lilwing88:
    The earliest I can retire and start collecting my pension is Feb 28, 2027....... I max out in 2029. This all can change if they re-negotiate a better contract with say, a 20 year max on pensions. I also have to factor in that I'll have pay out-of-pocket for health ins until I'm 60 which could push my retirement back to 2037.......

To get my 30 years in for my pension, I have to work to age 63. Does anyone know about upcomming time warp technologies?

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    currently i can retire at 62. if i can make a little more money i can spped that process up by 10 years. my investments are set up but the more i can put in equals the more interest that compunds and that makes more money which will spped things up
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    When I'm dead... honestly the system is so stacked against anyone coming in it's retarded.
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Approx. 6570 days. That's when I can retire and not take any hit on my pension. I could retire 730 days earlier at 58 but for every year early, they decrease my monthly amount by 18%.

• Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think I will ever retire. I've got a 3 year old, so that's at least 15 more years, which will make me about 45 when he's 18 but I will most likely still support him then with anything and everything possible. But hopefully he'll get rich before I do and then he can support me but I don't plan on it.

I'm not sure I would want to actually retire. I'll always be persuing something that will keep my mind busy and my hand occupied. As much as I love the idea of doing nothing all the time (Office Space), I don't think I could really do nothing it all the time.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Good Lord, I think Sunday's get too long, I'll never retire.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'll be able to retire on May 10th 2033... Gee thanks for making me realize how damn long I have! lol
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    I'll be able to retire on May 10th 2033... Gee thanks for making me realize how damn long I have! lol
    Quit yer whinin...I'm looking at 2040.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25 years and 5 months to go. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    jsnake:
    How do you plan retirement when you're unemployed Snake? My kids are 15 and 17, and really expensive. I can not even see that far ahead. Really, since most jobs don't provide retirement, It's up to investment performance. We all know how that is looking.
  • Options
    jacketsrule:
    jsnake:
    How do you plan retirement when you're unemployed Snake? My kids are 15 and 17, and really expensive. I can not even see that far ahead. Really, since most jobs don't provide retirement, It's up to investment performance. We all know how that is looking.
    I work for a railroad and do not pay into social security anymore. I pay into railroad retirement which pays much more then SS and my wife gets it too. To qualify you have to work so much during the year for the year to qualify towards retirement. I was furloughed (laid off) but actually got called back into work today. Not sure how long it will last but I am happy. If you are laid off so long without meeting their requirements your 30 years are paused until you go back to work. So far mine is still all consecutive.
  • Options
    martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    august 18, 2050...
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Well, it really depends on what the Democrats plan on doing w/ people retirement funds. The reason being is because the way SS is going to be bankrupt, the spending in Washington, Medicare..etc. Other countries will stop buying our treasury bonds. If that happens I think DC will turn to the American people and TRY to force us to finance the debt by taking our 401k, Pensions, IRA money. You might think I'm paranoid as hell...but I read ALOT of history and you know what...this kinda thing has already happened recently in Venezuela...in that the Government seized everyone's retirement accounts. So I am busy making my escape plan...so if everything goes to plan, I will retire around 2040 (that is if I get to keep my money).

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    jacketsrule:
    jsnake:
    I work for a railroad and do not pay into social security anymore. I pay into railroad retirement which pays much more then SS and my wife gets it too. To qualify you have to work so much during the year for the year to qualify towards retirement. I was furloughed (laid off) but actually got called back into work today. Not sure how long it will last but I am happy. If you are laid off so long without meeting their requirements your 30 years are paused until you go back to work. So far mine is still all consecutive.
    Wow, you don't have to pay into the SS scam? You had no idea how lucky you are!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    That is one of the incredible benefits of working for the railroad. We have the best insurance in the country too and it used to be free until our unions became weak and gave in to the company. The money and benefits are great.

You guys know I have had a rough time during my 5 years with this railroad job. They will be hiring like mad in the next few years though. They last time they had a huge hiring was in the 60's and 70's. Now all of these guys are on the way out the door and they will be very short handed in the next few years as these guys retire. If you are looking for work you might want to check out www.bnsf.com. The jobs change daily so keep checking until your area pops up. You can work in the yard and be home everyday or work the road a usually spend 1 night away from home at a time. There are so many jobs it is hard to tell you how it all works but you do not have to spend any time away from home if you don't want to. As the economy gets better and these guys retire things will really pick up and be good. Average pay is 72k a year and all you need is a high school diploma. I would say sometime this summer or towards the end of the year they may start hiring big time again. Many people still laid off and many won't return.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    jacketsrule:
    jsnake:
    And we were all so worried about you being unemployed.....
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Financially I will be able to retire in 8, I have 2 children that will keep me working because I want them educated here in Canada and not where I will retire (Dominican) so 17 years until my last is out of the house and I can lay on the beach......
  • Options
    jacketsrule:
    jsnake:
    jacketsrule:
    jsnake:
    And we were all so worried about you being unemployed.....
    Well, I can't pay my bills if I am not working. Retirement doesn't help me now.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    jsnake:
    jacketsrule:
    jsnake:
    Wow, you don't have to pay into the SS scam? You had no idea how lucky you are!
    I actually don't pay into that scam either working for the police dept. I pay into the Texas Municipal Retirement System and also pay into a long term medical spending account. Much better return than Social Security and I won't have to rely on the bankrupted Medicare system either.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    April 5, 2021, if things go well.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Luko:
    PuroFreak:
    Quit yer whinin...I'm looking at 2040.
    Same here and I've already got 9 years in.
  • Options
    Don't be in such a big hurry to retire...it's not what it's cracked up to be. After sitting around for about a year you get bored to death and then burned out on all those great hobbies you told yourself you'd enjoy. Next thing ya know you catch yourself looking at help wanted ads and come to the stark realization that at your age you'd be lucky to get hired as a Wal Mart greeter!
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    55 if I claim residence in Canada. Other than that somewhere between 60 and 65. Hopefully Ill never retire, just find something I really enjoy doing and figure out a way to get paid for it.
  • Options
    michaelharveymichaelharvey Posts: 201 ✭✭
    well...5840 more days is the soonest....im 23 right now...thats right do the math...39 years old....
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    How are you guys calculating this? Is it just age till 65 or are you factoring in economics?

I have a long way to go till I am 65, about 14235 days.
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    I'm in Goldy and Marty's wheelhouse... 14,500 days or so and about 40 years so 2050. Wow why are we doing this again... It's soo Depressing!!!
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    It would have been September 1st of this year but since they are sending me to further my education right now, it will be at least 5 yrs and 3 mos.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    jsnake:
    That is one of the incredible benefits of working for the railroad. We have the best insurance in the country too and it used to be free until our unions became weak and gave in to the company. The money and benefits are great. .
    You realize, of course, that since RR's are owned by the Gov't, the "company" is really the Gov't and taxpayer money is funding the RR's?
    Krieg:
    You might think I'm paranoid as hell...but I read ALOT of history and you know what...this kinda thing has already happened recently in Venezuela...in that the Government seized everyone's retirement accounts. So I am busy making my escape plan...so if everything goes to plan, I will retire around 2040 (that is if I get to keep my money).
    Not paranoid at all - Argentina did the same thing, and it's looking like the dems are getting desperate to scrounge up enough money to pay for their healthcare bill; their plan to tax the union health plans means they'd be taxing their base. When a party is willing to increase taxes on its own base voters, you know they're getting desperate for money

I'll be retiring sometime around 2040 hopefully

• Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    16 years & 44 days. The date will be 25th of March 2026 and it's a Wed. Not like I looked it up or anything like that.