Home Non Cigar Related
Options

UN evidence counters Israel's account of Gaza war

Last update - 10:54 02/02/2010
Report: UN evidence counters Israel's account of Gaza war
By Haaret Service

Remains of aircraft bomb disproves army's claims that tank shells detroyed flour mill, The Guardian says.

Israel's account of its conduct during the Gaza war was challenged on Monday after evidence emerged apparently contradicting one of the army's key findings, The Guardian reported.

Israel last week submitted a 46-page response to a highly critical United Nations inquiry by South African judge Richard Goldstone, which accused both Israel and Hamas of "grave breaches" of the fourth Geneva Convention.

In the report, Israel claimed its forces abided by international law throughout the war last year and denied targeting the al-Badr flour mill in northern Gaza, which was severely damaged during the IDF's three-week offensive.

But the UN mine action team, which handles ordnance disposal in Gaza, maintains that the remains of a 500-pound Mk82 aircraft-dropped bomb were found in the ruins of the mill last January.

This evidence directly contradicts the Israeli report, which challenged allegations that the building was deliberately targeted and specifically stated there was no evidence of an air strike, The Guardian said.

Goldstone used the account of the air strike as a sign that Israel's attack on the mill was not mere collateral damage, but precisely targeted and a possible war crime.

Although no one died in the attack on what was the only operational mill in Gaza, the incident received particular criticism from Goldstone, who concluded that the bombing was "intentional and precise" and was "carried out for the purpose of denying sustenance to the civilian population".

He added that the attacks violated the fourth Geneva Convention and customary international law, and may constitute a war crime.

The Israeli report admitted the building had been hit by tank shells but said it was a "legitimate military target" because there were Hamas fighters "in the vicinity of the flour mill". It said the mill was "not a pre-planned target" and specifically denied it was hit by an air strike.

"The military advocate general did not find any evidence to support the assertion that the mill was attacked from the air using precise munitions, as alleged in the human rights council fact-finding report," it said. The military advocate general "found no reason" to order a criminal investigation.

But the Guardian claims to have visited the mill days after the war last year, finding on the first floor of the building what appeared to be the remains of an aircraft-dropped bomb.

The UN mine action team said it identified an aircraft-dropped bomb at the mill on 25 January last year and removed it on 11 February. "Item located was the front half of a Mk82 aircraft bomb with 273M fuse," the team reported.

"The remains of the bomb were found on an upper floor in a narrow walkway between burnt-out machinery and an outside wall." The bomb was made safe by a technical field manager and removed

Comments

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The Israeli's really tick you off don't they? I am certain the UN team was totally unbiased. Probably the same guys that are cranking out the Global Warming Data. LOL. Sorry Laker, I had to do it, just to easy.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    The Israeli's really tick you off don't they? I am certain the UN team was totally unbiased. Probably the same guys that are cranking out the Global Warming Data. LOL. Sorry Laker, I had to do it, just to easy.
    Must be the same people. No way is all that toxic stuff damaging the climate.... BTW laker, this Israeli thing will keep on kicking. It's such a quagmire over there.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I hope someday America kicks the UN outta NYC, and the country as well.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    fla-gypsy:
    Must be the same people. No way is all that toxic stuff damaging the climate.... BTW laker, this Israeli thing will keep on kicking. It's such a quagmire over there.
    Actually lately things seem to be evolving in a little different manner. I think Israel figures that their international reputation has taken such a hit since the latest incursion, that they themselves are talking about the costs of continueing the occupation are beggining to outweigh the benefits of coming to terms with the Palestinians.

As we all know, they have been close before, but always manage to find a way to break off serious peace negotiations. Having 2/3 of all Israeli's outside of the Settlements in favor of peace is also to be considered.

BTW fla-gypsy, it was the same UN team which also found Hamas in violations of human rights, and that they had targetted innocent civilians. I got your point tho, any UN team which find the Israeli's wrong in anything they do against the Palestinains MUST be biased. The same tired arguements made by Israel, when they use White Phosphorus shells against innocent Palestinian CIVILIANS. Oh wait... I'm sorry. It has already been clearly established that there is no such thing as an innocent Palestinian. As soon as they are born they are potential terrorists and have no human rights. I forgot.

I can take your shot at me as you are right it WAS easy. As easy as doing nothing about either issue has been for the world so far anyway.