Home Cigar 101

Cigar Oasis XL anyone ?

I was thinking about getting this for my 300 cnt humi. Just to make things easy. My question is .. Does anyone have one in a 300 cnt humi ? Does it work well ? What are your likes or dislikes about it ? How the hell does the cord slip in between the lid ? especially in between the hinges ??? This one is kinda throwing me off because there still has to be a plug on the end and no way is that fitting between the hinges of the lid.

Comments

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    It ain't worth it Brett. I'm sure you're probably pretty disappointed with your experience with the coolerdor, and have probably lost faith in beads, but I've had only a half-pound in my 300ct humi since October and it's held a rock steady 68%. I'd try the beads again, especially since you already have two pounds, before investing in the Oasis.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I have an oasis and I'll tell you I am happy with it. The cord is actually really flat so you just close your lid on top of it. I haven't had any major problems with it.

but I will name 2 problems: first is the actual cost of the device (it ain't cheap) and second, it eats up some of your storage.

FYI I do use beads as well. I think the beads are great but if you really want to take things to the "next level" try using beads with the oasis. I'm quite satisfied with my setup.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I think the Oasis XL might be overkill for a 300CT humi. I would think about getting one of those if I had a really nice cabinet humidor. Other than that, I stick to my beads and have been very pleased. Just got to recharge them quite a bit in the winter.

"Long ashes my friends."

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I think the Oasis XL might be overkill for a 300CT humi. I would think about getting one of those if I had a really nice cabinet humidor. Other than that, I stick to my beads and have been very pleased. Just got to recharge them quite a bit in the winter.
    No actually a XL would not be overkill for a 300 count. One XL wouldn't be enough for a cabinet. I use a Oasis XL in my roughly 300 count wineador. I, like Bass, use a combination of beads and the oasis. I've tried every bead you can imagine, 65%, 70 % heartfelts, the 65% heartfelt sheets and the Kitty Litter beads. None have come close to the oasis in keeping the RH up IMO.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with Maduro. I have a 300 count and the Oasis XL is perfect. The cord is not really a cord, its nearly a flat electric wire and will not cause you to lose seal. So long as you refill as needed, its the best thing that ever happened to my cigars (aside from me smoking them).
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Hey cank you got all those beads from the mini fridge man ......... quarter of the beads you got is all the humidification that you are gonna need .... dont even mess with anything electric .... look at what happened last time .... just my .02 cents
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oust fan with beads would be my recommendation. If you want to unload a pound of those beads Brett let me know.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I've got a 250 ct but usually store about 100. I've been using an Oasis XL for about 2 years with good results.
    Not trying to bash anyone here just pointing this out. The only people I ever see bashing the Cigar Oasis are those who haven't tried it or those who have tried some cheaper imitation of it.

If there is someone here who has actually used one themselves and does not recommend it please step forward.
    If your argument against it is cost you are sorely mistaken. A pound of beads will cost you roughly $40 shipped. I spent $65 shipped on my Oasis. Given I got a good deal but you can buy them all day long for $100 shipped. Beads don't last forever, typically after about a year mine are so broken up and yellow they have to be thrown away. IME and from what I've heard plenty of other people say it would take a minimum of a pound, possibly more, to properly humidify a 300 count. So $40 a year for beads or $100 and my Oasis has been running fine for 3 years.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I do have a ton of beads ( thats what I got in it now and it may work out ok. ) It just takes up so much room... I HATE having a Tupperware dish with some beads in it taking up 1/3 of the room in the bottom. Plus I think it looks tacky. They look better in the mesh bag but then they don't emit enough humidity. Im gonna stick with the beads for now and see how they work out or if I can figure out a way to make then take up less room.
    thanks for the responses.

Jake you can for sure take a pound of these things off of my hands !
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Not trying to bash anyone here just pointing this out. The only people I ever see bashing the Cigar Oasis are those who haven't tried it or those who have tried some cheaper imitation of it.

If there is someone here who has actually used one themselves and does not recommend it please step forward.
    If your argument against it is cost you are sorely mistaken. A pound of beads will cost you roughly $40 shipped. I spent $65 shipped on my Oasis. Given I got a good deal but you can buy them all day long for $100 shipped. Beads don't last forever, typically after about a year mine are so broken up and yellow they have to be thrown away. IME and from what I've heard plenty of other people say it would take a minimum of a pound, possibly more, to properly humidify a 300 count. So $40 a year for beads or $100 and my Oasis has been running fine for 3 years.
    I've used the Cigar Oasis and would not buy one again. I had one unit running in my cooler and it just quit one day, just up and died. I have another one that is in a 300 ct humidor and it just doesn't work right, it doesn't maintain humidity properly, and this one is not operator failure.

Oh, and your pricing on beads is a bit off. If you buy from Heartfelt, then yes you do pay those prices, but if you buy the same beads from Bargainhumidors.com, you pay roughly half the price. I'd say about 3/4 pound is what it takes to humidify a 300 count properly, that's how much I'm using and it's holding steady.
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:

I've used the Cigar Oasis and would not buy one again. I had one unit running in my cooler and it just quit one day, just up and died. I have another one that is in a 300 ct humidor and it just doesn't work right, it doesn't maintain humidity properly, and this one is not operator failure.

Oh, and your pricing on beads is a bit off. If you buy from Heartfelt, then yes you do pay those prices, but if you buy the same beads from Bargainhumidors.com, you pay roughly half the price. I'd say about 3/4 pound is what it takes to humidify a 300 count properly, that's how much I'm using and it's holding steady.
    Damn it Joe. You would be the one to spoil my argument.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:

Damn it Joe. You would be the one to spoil my argument.
    Big Smile [:D]

Well, that's just my experience. Anomalies do happen, so I can't say my experience is indicative of the experience everyone will have. Suffice to say, I've found what works well for me and a Cigar Oasis doesn't fit in there.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I have the cigar oasis xl plus. I just bought it, and put it in the treasure dome humidor (roughly 250-300 count). I modified my humidor a bit, and set it up. The electrical wire is very slim, like a ribbon cable. One end of it plugs into your ac-dc adaptor, and the other end is a soldered ribbon cable. It will slide in a very small crack, basically if you can see air at all, it will go through it. I had to put mine in with the lid partially open. If it was all the way open it was too tight. I have only had it for about a month and a half, but it works out very well for me. I have two calibrated(salt test) digital hygrometers that I use to actually read humidity. The hygrometer on the cigar oasis does not give you an accurate reading. (common problem). I have my cigar oasis set on 65.4 and my actual humidity is 67. I love it. It turns on for about 3-5 seconds once every few hours. You can hear the little fan going, but it is pretty quiet. I read quite a bit about it online, and read quite a few reviews that said it would over humidify the cigars on the top tray, because it is blowing humidified air directly onto them. what I did was make a hole in the top tray directly above the xl, and then trim it out with some cedar. It makes a great place for robustos, and nubs. That way I feel like i didn't lose a lot of space. Like I said earlier I haven't had it for a whole heck of a long time, only a month and a half, so I have no idea about long term reliability, but to me it seems like a solid product. I went with the xlplus over the xl, because I didn't want to have to buy refill cartridges. When the foam internal to the water container goes bad in a few years, I plan on taking it out, and putting beads in there, we shall see. I recommend it, but like I said, I have only had it for a short while, hope this helps you out.
    Well two more days before I open the humi. We will see how the seasoning and the beads go.
  • I curently use on in my humidor that I sell cigars from. The power cord is thin and flat like a piece of paper that slides in with no problems or you can attach the provided battery pack it takes 6 double As but will last a month depending on how much you open the humi it keeps my humi with 170 cigars at a perfect level but have not tried it with 300. Although my humi is rated for 300 cigars so in terms of cubic feet it will be ok but in terms of stick count I don't know. Hope it helps and sorry for typos I'm on my iPhone.
    Crusader1545:
    I curently use on in my humidor that I sell cigars from. The power cord is thin and flat like a piece of paper that slides in with no problems or you can attach the provided battery pack it takes 6 double As but will last a month depending on how much you open the humi it keeps my humi with 170 cigars at a perfect level but have not tried it with 300. Although my humi is rated for 300 cigars so in terms of cubic feet it will be ok but in terms of stick count I don't know. Hope it helps and sorry for typos I'm on my iPhone.

very nice ! I had to add more beads since I just put about 60 more sticks in my humi. Now the entire 1/3 of my humi is takin' up my a Tupperware dish with beads in them......As long as the oasis is smaller than the dish then I am going to switch !
  • The Cank:
    Crusader1545:
    I curently use on in my humidor that I sell cigars from. The power cord is thin and flat like a piece of paper that slides in with no problems or you can attach the provided battery pack it takes 6 double As but will last a month depending on how much you open the humi it keeps my humi with 170 cigars at a perfect level but have not tried it with 300. Although my humi is rated for 300 cigars so in terms of cubic feet it will be ok but in terms of stick count I don't know. Hope it helps and sorry for typos I'm on my iPhone.

very nice ! I had to add more beads since I just put about 60 more sticks in my humi. Now the entire 1/3 of my humi is takin' up my a Tupperware dish with beads in them......As long as the oasis is smaller than the dish then I am going to switch !

If you are online later tonight I will post some pictures of it inside my humidor at the store I get off at 3pm central time so by the time I get to the store and get some pictures on my phone I figure it will be around 4:30 pm when I post them.
  • I use a Hydra Unit (kind of an off brand version of the oasis, got it for $75). the only problems I have had with this guy is the extra fans are kind of cheap and crap out pretty quickly (once it gets a little warmer I will buy a slim line fan that can clip on to a shelf in there to help circulate). Anyways, I am using the Hydra Sm. It says that it is good for nearly 8 cubic feet. My cabinet is roughly 6.5 cubic feet. I am able to caibrate the unit using the same old salt test as you would normally. I have it set to make a horrid ringing/beeping sound when it is time to reload with distilled water. I have it set at 68.5. the hygrometer at the very top in probably the least humid area (in the opposite corner by the door) reads at a steady 64. I have about 500 or so cigars and do not have issues with any of them. The Hydra is pretty bad a$$ in my opinion....
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    A bit off-topic, but wasn't there a thread awhile ago, where a guy modified his cigar oasis? I think he added a large clear-plastic reservoir and filled it with beads

EDIT - not what I was thinking of, but this is kinda like it (bottom of page): http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/cigaroasis.htm
    Crusader1545:
    The Cank:
    Crusader1545:

If you are online later tonight I will post some pictures of it inside my humidor at the store I get off at 3pm central time so by the time I get to the store and get some pictures on my phone I figure it will be around 4:30 pm when I post them.

I will be at work but when I get home around 1 a.m. I akways get on the forum so if you have a chance to snap some pics that would be great ! shoot me a PM if you can
  • Well here is the set up.

The humi!

This is where the oasis holds the humi with all the sticks in it

This is the oasis inside my humi below the bottom rack.

pulled out view
  • This is the power strip coming out of the back doors.

Just showing how thin the power strip is

The power strip hangind from the back

Pulled out view of the front.

If you have anymore questions just let me know I posted these on the forum in case anyone else had some questions about the oasis PM sent.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this post today and was wondering if you picked up an Oasis yet; if not and you were wondering how it would work for you PM your address and I will send you out one (I have an extra). If you like it we can work something out, if you don't send it back to me. Like cigars to each there own, but a free sample is always nice.
    bandyt09:
    Just saw this post today and was wondering if you picked up an Oasis yet; if not and you were wondering how it would work for you PM your address and I will send you out one (I have an extra). If you like it we can work something out, if you don't send it back to me. Like cigars to each there own, but a free sample is always nice.

You are Awesome ! PM sent !
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM answered.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just traded for one of these what was practically new with an extra new reservoir. A friend was getting out of cigars and going straight pipes. Since my endtable humidor is stuffed I did not want to lose space so I decided to stick it in the coolidor. Easy set up. Easy to use. This thing works perfectly. Perfect temp and humidity rocking the coolidor. I am really happy with this unit and glad I finally got one. I have always used beads in the past but I like this better. My opinion is it is worth the small investment. Ribbon cable is perfect for the humidor or coolidor.