Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Baseball Fans

So... I am a complete baseball dork... love the game... and I love playing Fantasy baseball...

Has there ever been a Ccom Fantasy Baseball League?

If we can get 12 guys who are interested we can get a league going. W could even put together a prize pool of sticks or Ccom gift cert for the winner... Say every player pitches in $20, for example... we could figure all that out later, but it could be a pretty decent prize for the winner

I could set it up on yahoo or something, just to keep it easy... We can figure out scoring systems and all that later... I figured a standard 5x5 league would be the easiest

Let me know if you are interested... this is a season long commitment so only sign-up if you are truly interested... Obviously, I'm in...

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about that. It might put me in a position where I would have to root against the Yankees!
  • Options
    I am in. I too am a baseball fanattic to a fault my wife tells me.... I would love to get up a fantasy baseball league where we could talk baseball and cigars in the same forums, life wouldnt be much better.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    YankeeMan:
    I'm not sure about that. It might put me in a position where I would have to root against the Yankees!
    Yeah.. I NEVER draft any dodgers... but I'd have to break that rule for Matt Kemp...

So that's three... I'm pretty confident that Yankee will come around...
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I live in Pittsburgh...so baseball fan? Not so much. This is the year we start to turn things around though, I swear.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    I would like to see the rules and settings prior to a full commitment, but other than that im 99% in!
  • Options
    Luko:
    I live in Pittsburgh...so baseball fan? Not so much. This is the year we start to turn things around though, I swear.
    17 years straight with losing seasons! The pirates would be a decent team if they didnt trade everyone away thats worth anything. Oh, and GO BRAVES!
  • Options
    JZ:
    I would like to see the rules and settings prior to a full commitment, but other than that im 99% in!
    I figured we'd keep it pretty standard. I was thinking 5x5 Head to Head... With a setting like this, I though head to head would be a little more fun... live online draft through yahoo or ESPN (I have no preference)...
    Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P (5 bench spots) : 23 man roster

Scoring: AVG, R, HR, RBI, SB, K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP

12 to 14 teams would be best... I figured we could get a pot together and break it down: Champ 60%, Second place 30%, Third place 10%

but this is all up for discussion
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    My wife and I are pretty big ball fans.

Yankee, once you do it you will find that its really not that hard to root against the Yanks...
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:

Yankee, once you do it you will find that its really not that hard to root against the Yanks...
    That is so cruel!!!
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. I've been doing fantasy football for years and have always wanted to try baseball.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    I'm in. I've been doing fantasy football for years and have always wanted to try baseball.
    Nice! Makin a little progress here...

So far we have: Me, d_nowell, JZ, lilwing88, YankeeMan (maybe)

4-5 guys... we need another 7-8...

Once we get the 12 guys we can get the specifics squared away...
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I'd be in
  • Options
    Luko:
    Pittsburgh has a great young team, should be a lot better this year and I hate saying that being the Cubs fan I am...
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    Goldy:

That is so cruel!!!

When I was traveling in Asia people would ask me where I was from and I would tell them I was from the US. Instantly they would say something to the effect of, "You from US, GO YANKEES!". For some reason the world loves the yankees.

I really only root against the Yanks when they are playing the mighty twins.
  • Options
    d_nowell:
    Luko:
    Pittsburgh has a great young team, should be a lot better this year and I hate saying that being the Cubs fan I am...
    Never be ashamed to say you love the Cubs!! Now the White Sox....... well that's just embarrassing.

By the way, what does the marquee on your avatar say?
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    JZ:
    I figured we'd keep it pretty standard. I was thinking 5x5 Head to Head... With a setting like this, I though head to head would be a little more fun... live online draft through yahoo or ESPN (I have no preference)...
    Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P (5 bench spots) : 23 man roster

12 to 14 teams would be best... I figured we could get a pot together and break it down: Champ 60%, Second place 30%, Third place 10%

so how are you doing the prize? is it going to be cigars? Cash? or what....if it's cigars, do we just send them to you?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    robbyras:
    JZ:

so how are you doing the prize? is it going to be cigars? Cash? or what....if it's cigars, do we just send them to you?
    We could do either Cash gift cert or sitcks... i have no preference... If we do cash we could pool it together and the winners could get ccom gift certs...
  • Options
    Oh I am not ashamed at all I love my Cubbies..... It says 2003 N.L. Central Champions
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Count me in---I would prefer just winners for first and second, but the majority rules.
  • Options
    I like first and second place prizes as well. I prefer yahoo over the others and have tried them all. 23 players is a lot for a league with 12 to 14 teams. It's going to take some serious research on players.
  • Options
    d_nowell:
    Oh I am not ashamed at all I love my Cubbies..... It says 2003 N.L. Central Champions
    My bad....... I thought you were insinuating that we always seem to say "This is their year." ( Which we do.........so sad)

I'm looking forward to Spring Training. I think pitchers and catchers report soon......
  • Options
    JZ:
    I like first and second place prizes as well. I prefer yahoo over the others and have tried them all. 23 players is a lot for a league with 12 to 14 teams. It's going to take some serious research on players.
    9 offense and 9 pitching + 5 bench... I'm in a 14 team league with 25 man rosters... talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel...
  • Options
    ok... so here is where we stand... So far we have: Me, d_nowell, JZ, lilwing88, YankeeMan, kingjk729, Vulchor, Kreig (maybe???)
    7-8 guys... we need another 4-5 more...

I like first and second place getting paid off as well... 70-30 split seems reasonable

so... 14 teams at $25 each give us a pot of $350... Camp gets $245, second gets $105... Do we want to do a ccom gift cert? you can do some pretty good damage with that amount...

I think $25 is a safe amount... not breaking the bank and it affords a pot worth playing for

We'll use yahoo on JZ's recommendation... I agree that it is the most user friendly...

I also think team names should just be our screen names so we can keep track of whats going on...

are they any specific rules that you guys want to employ? Waivers? Trade vetos?

Trades can get tricky since money is involved. I say every trade is up to vote. 2 days, if more than half vote against, then the deal is vetoed... just to keep it fair...

Am i missing anything?
  • Options
    robbyras:
    ok... so here is where we stand... So far we have: Me, d_nowell, JZ, lilwing88, YankeeMan, kingjk729, Vulchor, Kreig (maybe???)
    7-8 guys... we need another 4-5 more...

I like first and second place getting paid off as well... 70-30 split seems reasonable

so... 14 teams at $25 each give us a pot of $350... Camp gets $245, second gets $105... Do we want to do a ccom gift cert? you can do some pretty good damage with that amount...

I think $25 is a safe amount... not breaking the bank and it affords a pot worth playing for

We'll use yahoo on JZ's recommendation... I agree that it is the most user friendly...

I also think team names should just be our screen names so we can keep track of whats going on...

are they any specific rules that you guys want to employ? Waivers? Trade vetos?

Trades can get tricky since money is involved. I say every trade is up to vote. 2 days, if more than half vote against, then the deal is vetoed... just to keep it fair...

Am i missing anything?
    Is there a playoff bracket, if so how many teams in the playoffs? Also, I think its best for those playing to send in their money prior to the season starting. That way there is not big delay at the conclusion. That is only a suggestion though.
  • Options
    "Is there a playoff bracket, if so how many teams in the playoffs? Also, I think its best for those playing to send in their money prior to the season starting. That way there is not big delay at the conclusion. That is only a suggestion though. "

PLAYOFFS!?!?! yeah... there will be a playoff... top six teams makes sense... I believe yahoo will break it up into divisions since we are head to head, so each division winner will get a bye... I believe the other 4 teams will be the top 4 regardless of division, but I will have to check on that... I also think we should set it up so the championship isn't taking place on the last week of the season... the only real question is, should the championship be one week or two?

I agree about the money... with that being said, all players should be on The List, which I believe we all are so far. Since I will be the "commish" of the league, I'll handle the money, unless someone else wants to... Paypal or checks work. I'm sure everyone is good for it, but we should probably get the $ squared away prior to the draft or prior to the season...

Should there be a 3rd place prize so that playoff game means something? Maybe the team who comes in last (or loses and comes in 4th) sends the 3rd place team 4-5 sticks... something like that...
  • Options
    I definitely say send in money as soon as we get the league together so there will be no delays. As far as rules, I say lets just keep it simple you can get into some complicated stuff. I am looking forward to this already.
  • Options
    d_nowell:
    I definitely say send in money as soon as we get the league together so there will be no delays. As far as rules, I say lets just keep it simple you can get into some complicated stuff. I am looking forward to this already.
    agreed... let's keep it simple...and lets get 6 more people... we won't draft until mid March
  • Options
    just a friendly Monday bump to keep this going.... Still need 6 people...
  • Options
    This is a bump and a suggestion..... Don't know if this was mentioned before, but how will trades and add/drops be handled? I was thinking of a one stick per transaction fee that goes into a pot for the 1st place winner. Just a thought
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    This is a bump and a suggestion..... Don't know if this was mentioned before, but how will trades and add/drops be handled? I was thinking of a one stick per transaction fee that goes into a pot for the 1st place winner. Just a thought
    Trades will be up for league vote. 2 day voting period. If half of the league thinks it's unfair, it will get vetoed.
    For adds/drops there is a 1 day waiver period on anyone dropped. Other than that, it's open season.
    Throughout a full season, a team can generate a LOT of transactions, so a stick per might be harsh. Here is my counter thought, because I think there should be some sort transaction accountability...
    How about a transaction cap of 30 for example. Each team has 30 free transactions... after that, there is a fee of some sort...Maybe a stick for every move over the 30? The 30 would include trades as well.
    Still need a few folks... when we get to 12 I will start a new thread called Ccom Fantasy Baseball League 2010 and have all the info there...