Home Cigar 101
Options

Tar

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
I just finished a cigar, which had developed some tar at around the second 3rd. By the final third, the tar build-up was overwhelming and I had to toss it. I had cut the cigar but to no avail. My question is, was the tar a product of the cigar being in its sick period? Would additional aging prevent this from happening?

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Sick period?

I've never thought about more aging helping with tar buildup. Typically a cigar with a torpedo shaped head or one that is particularly oily. Also smoking too fast will cause it. I have this problem with a lot of Padrons.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    so was it seeping from the tip or just a lot of oily flavor on the palate
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Most of the cigars I've had tar problems with have also had a tight draw, my theory is that the restricted air flow causes the tar to be drawn toward the head. On some cigars there is likely nothing you can do about it, but with a torpedo I make sure and give a generous cut to allow adequate air flow.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    The worst tar gar I have had was a Serie R Torpedo. Other shapes I have tried in that same line dont seem to be as bad as the torpedo.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    Most of the cigars I've had tar problems with have also had a tight draw, my theory is that the restricted air flow causes the tar to be drawn toward the head. On some cigars there is likely nothing you can do about it, but with a torpedo I make sure and give a generous cut to allow adequate air flow.
    I agree...I seem to get less tar build up when the draw is a bit more free than tight. I too try to cut torpedos somewhat generously to allow for a better draw
  • Options
    So the cigar in question was a Man O War robusto. By the end of the 1st 1/3 and the beginning of the second 1/3, the tar was seeping at the head. The draw had a little bit of resistance, but it was by no means tight. The wrapper was really oily, so that plays into madurofan's theory.

I agree with the opinion that torpedos need a generous cut so that you don't end up with a tight draw and restricited air flow. I guess related to that, has anyone heard of a **** Cut? Apparently it was named after a salesman that worked for Atladis, who would cut torpedos at a 45 degree angle. His theory was that it provided a wider surface area which in turn improved the flavor.
  • Options
    I still wanna know what the sick period is ...
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I still wanna know what the sick period is ...
    I think the term applies more to ISOMs. ISOMs are known to have sick periods because the manufacturers rush their cigars to market to fullfil demand, so the sticks don't get a lot of age time after they've been rolled. I've heard that if you ever get an ISOM, you should either smoke it right away or let it rest for at least 6 months so the cigar can "finish" the aging that should have taken place at the factory.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Sorry to ask this...ISOMs...? Interesting thread, I just usually attribute the "tar build up" to a tight draw and smoking too quickly...???
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Min Ron Nee:
    CigarCyclopedia PDF

The “sick period” is marked by the unpleasant smell of ammonia when smelling the cigars. Nee notes that this is due to the continuing fermentation of the leaves once rolled into cigars and will go away as the cigars are ventilated. He believes that for most cigars, “the ammoniac smell will be over 90% gone in a few months, 95% to 99% gone by the end of the first year and practically all gone by the end of the second year.”
  • Options
    Hawk55:
    Sorry to ask this...ISOMs...? Interesting thread, I just usually attribute the "tar build up" to a tight draw and smoking too quickly...???
    I.sland S.ouh O.f M.iami
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Hawk55:

I just learned this one as well

ISOM = Island South Of Miami aka Cubans
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    damn Mike. You beat me to it ! I thought I was going to get the chance to feel needed for a minute
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    Min Ron Nee:
    CigarCyclopedia PDF

The “sick period” is marked by the unpleasant smell of ammonia when smelling the cigars. Nee notes that this is due to the continuing fermentation of the leaves once rolled into cigars and will go away as the cigars are ventilated. He believes that for most cigars, “the ammoniac smell will be over 90% gone in a few months, 95% to 99% gone by the end of the first year and practically all gone by the end of the second year.”
    That's it. Thanks for finding the link. In my case, there were no ammonia smells, but I wonder if this applies to tar build-up as well.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    nightmaremike31:
    Min Ron Nee:
    CigarCyclopedia PDF

That's it. Thanks for finding the link. In my case, there were no ammonia smells, but I wonder if this applies to tar build-up as well.
    I'm very familiar with that ESPECIALLY wiht ISOMs but never heard it called the Sick Perios ... thats cool.
  • Options
    The Cank:
    damn Mike. You beat me to it ! I thought I was going to get the chance to feel needed for a minute
    Sorry bro, you can have the next one, I swear.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    sightunseen:
    nightmaremike31:
    Min Ron Nee:
    CigarCyclopedia PDF

I'm very familiar with that ESPECIALLY wiht ISOMs but never heard it called the Sick Perios ... thats cool.
    I wish I owned Min Ron Nee's book An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars, but I can't seem to convince myself that $189.99 is a reasonable price for a book when I could spend that much money on cigars...
  • Options
    RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    so i know this thread is about a year old. But it has been happening to me lately i would say 3-4 of the last 10 i have smoked have had this happen. Usually it starts fairly early. The draw to begin with is usually fine and not tight. It will usually get tight as the tar seeps out since its restricting the air flow.

Is there a way i can avoide this happening there is much of a constant for these cigars except me. Some were from my humidors some i bought. Just trying to get some ideas to maybe avoid this from happening.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Me too! And I know it's not a tight draw because, as you said, the draw is fine. And it's not too hot on the light as I usually use matches and really try to not light too hot. And I smoke very slowly so the stick doesn't get too hot. And it's not my humi being too moist as its been around 62 all winter. I'm TOTALLY STUMPED!!!!! It's really annoying (tar) and ruins many a good stick. I wonder if it's a construction issue?
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    you could also try blowing back through the cigar...sometimes that will give a little bit more time before it's time to toss...

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    sightunseen:
    So the cigar in question was a Man O War robusto. By the end of the 1st 1/3 and the beginning of the second 1/3, the tar was seeping at the head. The draw had a little bit of resistance, but it was by no means tight. The wrapper was really oily, so that plays into madurofan's theory.

I agree with the opinion that torpedos need a generous cut so that you don't end up with a tight draw and restricited air flow. I guess related to that, has anyone heard of a **** Cut? Apparently it was named after a salesman that worked for Atladis, who would cut torpedos at a 45 degree angle. His theory was that it provided a wider surface area which in turn improved the flavor.

I believe Joe Dickman, the man the cut was named after, cut pajeros that way. Ive never seena **** cut on a torpedo. I myself use a V-cut on torpedos, I tried it once and absolutly love it!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    If I get tar buildup, I squeeze the end of the stick to purge out the tar. After it's out, i just wipe it off. Some sticks have more tar than others. I've never seen any rhyme or reason to it.