Home Cigar 101
Options

Traveling With Cigars

I'm going on a couple of trips by plane this month and wondered what's the best way to bring cigars, I don't have a travel humidor , but I'm looking into getting one. I was thinking of using a ziploc bag and some water pilllows, but wonder about crushing the cigars. Anyone have any good tips for traveling with cigars ?

Comments

• Options
    I usually put them in the ziplock bag that they send cigars in from cigar.com, with one of their humidity packs. If you'll only be gone for a few days at a time though, a ziplock bag alone will suffice. I've never had them crushed, just make sure they're in carry-on.
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    I went to Punta Cana last year and put my cigars in a small tupperware container. They survived the trip, but I have since bought a 15 stick Herf-a-dor. I take it with me everywhere I go. I usually bring a few extra stick with me in case I meet someone else who enjoys cigars so we can light one up together. I like the Herf-a-dor because its padded and has a small foam humidity pad I rarely leave home without it
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I travel extensively for work. The with bought me a Xikar herf-a-dor a while back, I absolutely love it. I don't know what I did before I had it. I highly recommend picking one up.

A funny side note though whenever I have left it in my bag that I checked I have to pry it open with a screw driver. I guess the non pressurized luggage compartment sucks the seal tight on it.
  • Options
    Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    I do a lot of traveling and always take or bring back cigars with me. I have several different types of travel humidors depending on how many i bring back or take. I like the "herf-a-dor" (cigar.com has, but they come with different names depending on where you get em, its the same thing) as the cigars are held firmly. One of the biggest problems when traveling with cigars is them rolling around in the suitcase/backpack etc. and the wrappers getting busted up, which is what happens in a ziplock alone. I mean if you pack em like the cigar.com etc does during shipping its fine, but it impractical to take one out to smoke, put 2 you find at a B&M in, everyday etc. I would suggest spending the $20-30 on a travel case so your handmade cigars don't go to waste. For short excursions I save the metal tubes of cigars I smoked and throw new one in. You can throw em in a backpack for a hike or whateveas.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I agree with getting a herf-a-dor. If you look around you can find good deals on a combo with sticks and the herf-a-dor that make both parts a value. The way I look at it, the relatively low price of herf-a-dors is a small price to pay when the sticks you are traveling with are probably worth more than the container. Basically, if the sticks got damaged ONE TIME in a bag or tupperware, it would be more of a loss than investing in a herf-a-dor that you can use forever.

One thing. if your herf-a-dor has a built in humidity disk ignore it or tear it out, like I did with mine. For a few days or so, the seal is so good that you don't need any extra humidification. If you are gonna be out for more than a weak, a bead tube or humidipak is the best way to go, IMO.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Herfador deals are cheap and if you look around you can find buy one get ones right now. I have 2 and they are great. They give you great peace of mind.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I just traveled to Jamaica and back . I put them in a ccom bag with some water pillows and kept them on my person...or my wife's person
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I also would recommend one of those herf a dores. I have 2 actually, a 5 count and and 15 count. And they work great. I even had the 5 count humi get swamped in a boat and my cigars were fine. (and it floats) :)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I also would recommend one of those herf a dores. I have 2 actually, a 5 count and and 15 count. And they work great. I even had the 5 count humi get swamped in a boat and my cigars were fine. (and it floats) :)
    I wondered if it would float thats cool.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Stryker, the herfador is the way to go. I do the same thing he does for local trips, save the metal tubes and put your smoke in that and take it with you. Keep in mind, if you fly and do not put them in your carryon, someone WILL inspect your luggage and probably won't be too careful how they handle your smokes!
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for the info, looks like like I'll be buying a travel humidor of some sort.
  • Options
    Sounds like I need to go out and get myself a herfador.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    YankeeMan:
    I agree with Stryker, the herfador is the way to go. I do the same thing he does for local trips, save the metal tubes and put your smoke in that and take it with you. Keep in mind, if you fly and do not put them in your carryon, someone WILL inspect your luggage and probably won't be too careful how they handle your smokes!

I had mine in my carry on. When they looked through my stuff I told them to be careful that i had cigars. And as I was there watching them search I made sure of it.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    Krieg:
    Some people just cant drive boats! It was refreshing though. Last time that knucklehead drives my boat !
  • Options
    Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    Im heading to Jamaica in april and i think its time to invest in a herf a dor as well, im already thinking about which sticks to take.
  • Options
    Joel H.:
    Im heading to Jamaica in april and i think its time to invest in a herf a dor as well, im already thinking about which sticks to take.
    I love that feeling when you are about to go on vacation and can't stop thinking about which cigars too take. I think it's fun as hell...or maybe I'm just a weirdo.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    michaelharveymichaelharvey Posts: 201 ✭✭
    I enjoy picking out the cigars for travel too....its the traveling back and going through customs that annoys the piss out of me.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info, I bought a herf-a-dor while on my trip this weekend in Phoenix. Great B&M I found, PM me if you want the name.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Krieg:
    I wondered if it would float thats cool.
    My best friend for life, NOW, no im kidding we have been best friends forever just bought me a 5 count herf-a-dor for christmas. Its the best present I have ever received in my life they are priceless...
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I definitely need to get a travel-dor.
  • Options
    Dumb question...but here goes...can I bring matches with me on the plane? I will be traveling to Iowa in a week and just want to make sure I have everything ready to go. I will no be checking a bag and have a 10 ct travler. Should I just hope the hotel has some matches?
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    Dumb question...but here goes...can I bring matches with me on the plane? I will be traveling to Iowa in a week and just want to make sure I have everything ready to go. I will no be checking a bag and have a 10 ct travler. Should I just hope the hotel has some matches?
    I would check the TSA's website...then if you find it that u can...print it out because that won't mean they won't try to take them from you...like cigar cutters.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    txjayhawk:
    I would check the TSA's website...then if you find it that u can...print it out because that won't mean they won't try to take them from you...like cigar cutters.
    Thanks man...kinda worried about bringing my $1.50 punch also. Its a cheap o, but that sucker has been through hell and back!
  • Options
    txjayhawk:

Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage.

source:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Hope it helps!
  • Options
    Crusader1545:
    txjayhawk:
    Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage. source: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm Hope it helps!
    thanx...Ill bet I dont even get a chance to smoke while I am on the road...
  • Options
    Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    maybe a bit off the subject, but i prefer to use a torch when lighting, usually enjoy a cigar outside thats why, so when Im traveling something like this works real good (see link below) You can take it on a plane with out the lighter in it, and pick up a standard bic when you get there (they sell the same one world wide for under a buck) shove it in and you have a easy travel torch. Just thought Id share. http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8868/
  • Options
    Stryker808:
    maybe a bit off the subject, but i prefer to use a torch when lighting, usually enjoy a cigar outside thats why, so when Im traveling something like this works real good (see link below) You can take it on a plane with out the lighter in it, and pick up a standard bic when you get there (they sell the same one world wide for under a buck) shove it in and you have a easy travel torch. Just thought Id share. http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8868/
    that is pretty awesome! may have to look in to getting one!