Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Gurkha Park Avenue

denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
Someone PIF'd a Park Ave. to me and I was intrigued at how well this budget minded stick would hold up to the name. Well here's my impressions. This is my first review so don't expect wondrous adjectives.

The prelight had a minor sweet note with a perfect draw. On light up, the flavor was subdued, not overpowering but tasty. This reminded me of a ITC 10yr or Felipe Gregorio Icon. Mild but still flavorful. The construction was perfect. The ash held long, and made a thud when it hit the ground, literally. I never touched up the burn. This stick gave a ton of smoke and good flavor. I'm not a mild stick smoker and I really liked it a lot. All the good qualities you expect from a Gurkha without all the outlandish über rare tobaccos that sometimes don't blend just right on some of their sticks.

Comments

• Options
    Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Same here. very good smoke, good price point. I like these for breakfast.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Good job on the review Dennis. I think you hit it bang on. Mild stick with lots of good flavor without the exotic and sometimes unusual blend of multi country fillers.

I just recently sent one of these out in a little Gurkha sampler to one of the BOTL here. I don't think he has tried this one yet and should be pleasantly surprised by it, as he is not a big Gurkha fan. This one shows a lot of Gurkha's best attributes.
  • Options
    Thanks laker. yeah, I really enjoyed it. I bought a bunch of Gurkhas thru the sampler here and i found I only liked about half. the other half were just a little too distinct in ways that aren't always good. this is now my favorite connecticut wrapper stick out there. better than the RP in my opinion. you could hand this out to any smoker and they would like it.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Park Avenue and was surprised by it. I am a huge Gurkha fan anyways but with a cheap $2 stick you don't expect too much. For the price it could be an everyday cigar. Nice mini review.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I enjoyed the park Avenue for what it is. Being a very mild cigar, it has a place as a good morning cigar. I like the fact that it is just straightforward, none of the ridiculous marketing that comes with other Gurkha cigars, and the price is right, it's a no frills cigar for a no frills price.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I had my doubts about the Park Avenue when I first saw it. I didn't enjoy the Gurkha Sherpa, which was another budget Gurkha and I thought that the Park Avenue would follow in the same vein. I'm glad that I was proved wrong. The stick had superior construction and for a mild cigar had great flavor. And for the price, it's definitely a candidate as a "go-to" smoke.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Great review, spot on! I had the same results and it's one of a very few milds I really like!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The Park Avenue was a good value but a little tame for my tastes. Nicely made sticks.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I think I have had this cigar but can't remember, so either I didn't like it or it was too mild. Glad you liked it though, gurkha does have some good cigars.
  • Options
    yeah, I like the legend and the gold. the regent and grand envoy are just okay but this was like "wow, what a good connecticut". I 'm not a big connie fan so for me to like it is a big deal. you may want to try another that's rested a while.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    yeah, I like the legend and the gold. the regent and grand envoy are just okay but this was like "wow, what a good connecticut". I 'm not a big connie fan so for me to like it is a big deal. you may want to try another that's rested a while.
    I wasn't a fan of the regent and grand envoy either. I do like the legend. Have you had the Turk? It's a pretty good creamy smoke. I would say I like it more than the 5 vegas gold if you've had that.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

I had one that was gifted to me. I wasnt thrilled with it. I found it mild without much flavor. Then after about the 1st inch and a half the wrapper split and there was no flavor after that point and I put it down about 1/2 way. I would try it again, but not buy it. So far, Im not too thrilled with Ghurka. Ive had a few of their cigars and almost every one has had some sort of flavor/construction problem.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    dennisking:
    I wasn't a fan of the regent and grand envoy either. I do like the legend. Have you had the Turk? It's a pretty good creamy smoke. I would say I like it more than the 5 vegas gold if you've had that.
    I usually stay away from the Connie wrapped stuff just because of the overall experience but I guess I need to try the Turk. I trust your judgement...
    If I woulda had your number, I would've called you today. I was at Buffalo Wild Wings at Pioneer Square and then we went to Rock Bottom ...mmmmm Beer....
  • Options
    This is quickly becoming a favorite for me.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    [I wasn't a fan of the regent and grand envoy either. I do like the legend. Have you had the Turk? It's a pretty good creamy smoke. I would say I like it more than the 5 vegas gold if you've had that.
    I will say that for someone who hates Gurkha, I liked the Turk. The quote in my signature is what J0zer said about the Turk.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I just smoked one that was sent to me in a bomb thanks to jsnake and wow...what a surprise! I usually enjoy milds but I'm not a Gurkha fan. I've had so much bad luck with them and I'm happy to say that this stick really is an asset to the Gurkha line. Excellent cigar!
  • Options
    BStayer:
    I just smoked one that was sent to me in a bomb thanks to jsnake and wow...what a surprise! I usually enjoy milds but I'm not a Gurkha fan. I've had so much bad luck with them and I'm happy to say that this stick really is an asset to the Gurkha line. Excellent cigar!
    I would rather pay twice the MSRP for a Park Ave. than half price for most other Gurkhas
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    dennisking:
    BStayer:
    I would rather pay twice the MSRP for a Park Ave. than half price for most other Gurkhas
    LOL!! Very well said!
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I had the Churchill yesterday and it was good smoke. A nice nutty flavor with tons of smoke, and a great draw. I think the name and label are silly, but the price is right. Good stick, I like this one.
  • Options
    I think the name is indicitave of what it is though. A high quality stick that one would expect to pay considerably more for. Okay, maybe call it the Park Ave. Outlet Store Edition or something Surprise [:O]
    I wonder who the blender and maker are for this stick
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    It's an AJ Fernandez stick.