Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor Question

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have two 200 count humidors, one for smoking out of and one for aging. I actually have a small third one for infused cigars, but that one is not giving me problems.

My problem is that the aging humi keeps a steady 65% using the conservabeads (sp?) and using the same amount of the same beads, the smoking one holds at a steady 60%. Both of these have digitial hygrometers. I first switched the hygrometers to see if that might have been the problem, but they both read 65% for the aging and 60% for the smoking.

I then tried switching the bags of beads. The same thing happened, the aging held at 65% and the smoking at 60%. I seasoned both humis the same when I got them. I know that 60% is not necessarily a bad thing, but I am losing what little mind I have. Does anyone have a suggestion, or should I just live with it?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You could try putting a Gel Crystal jar in the smoking humidor, that might help to bump up the RH.
  • Options
    Are they identical humidors, or are they different brands of 200 count humidors? Maybe the seal is better on one than on the other? I'd also recommend taking the hygrometer out of the humidor to see what the outside humidity is.
  • Options
    I would assume that you open and close the humidor used for smoking more often than the one you use for aging, which could contribute to the difference. The aging humidor could also have a better seal.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    fatt1974:
    I would assume that you open and close the humidor used for smoking more often than the one you use for aging, which could contribute to the difference. The aging humidor could also have a better seal.
    I could see that as a huge possibility, I've only opened my aging humi 3 times in the last 10 months and it's always spot on with my beads, and with my regular humis with a more frequent opening and closing I could definitely see how that would reduce the RH over a long period of time.

I like your brain fatt1974!!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's been so freakin' cold the last month or so, I haven't really been smoking much, so I don't think that is the problem. They are two different manufacturers and the smoking humi does seem to have a little looser seal. That might indeed be the problem. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    yep, probably a little looser seal. I have a shallow container of distilled water that sits next to my beads. Keeps em charged and holds the humidity quite well.