Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor Nightmare

I purchased a 100 ct humidor mid 08' that has never really been consistant with humidity. At first, I used PG with the standard humidifier and then white fuzz showed up. Never the less, I chalked it up to "fake" solution.

So I went to my local B&M (sorry Cigar.Com couldn't wait - this is an emergency!) and purchased the 150 cigar gel jar to stick in there instead. So I re-calibrated my digi hygro and stuck this jar in and by humidity didn't budge. It sits at a horrible 60% RH...

Two things:

1. Im thinking I need an additional jar or humidification source. Could I get a concurrence? 2. My cigars all have the same smell since this has been going on. Did they lose all their oils and are now ruined?

I must have pissed the cigar gods off because this has never happened before!

Please Help!

Comments

• Options
    If you have enough room, I'd recommend putting a shot glass or small tupperware container full of water into the humidor. If the humidity doesn't rise at all then maybe the seal is just too loose so it won't maintain humidity.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Gel jars aren't always enough. Add in another jar, or like the poster above said, a shot glass or two of distilled water. Then order yourself a pound of 70% beads - that'll take care of it, unless your humidor has a terrible seal, but that goes without saying.

oh, and 60% isn't horrible. its not like your cigars are going to explode - they'll be fine. I keep my humidors deliberately at 62-65%.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    65 is exactly what I like as well. Yeah I agree get some beads. you 'll be good to go after that
  • Options
    Just to update the post, I just performed a dollar bill test and met resistance or was unable to move the bill at all (checked all seams around entire top) so it seems as if the seal is ok...

In addition, I just ordered a couple of 1lb pouches of beads because after putting a class of water in the bottom of the humi - I got no increase...still weird right?
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Going back to the first post...When you first got the humidor, did you take time to season it before putting your sticks and humidification device in?

It's hard to believe that putting a glass of water would not increase the humidity. Maybe try to take out other humidification devices and keep the water in. In theory, the RH would have to go up without anything to regulate it.
  • Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Make sure that you aren't opening the humidor every hour as well. You will lose any gain that you created by putting the shot glass of water in there. Tried to leave it closed for a couple of days and then check it.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    Going back to the first post...When you first got the humidor, did you take time to season it before putting your sticks and humidification device in?

It's hard to believe that putting a glass of water would not increase the humidity. Maybe try to take out other humidification devices and keep the water in. In theory, the RH would have to go up without anything to regulate it.
    That was my first thought as soon as I saw "nightmare". It's by far the most important and easiest step to mess up with cigars. Click it-->Seasoning and Re-Season
  • Options
    bbc020:

I did season the humidor when I first purchased it. I totally agree with what you are saying - being that it is hard to believe that a class of water hasn't done jack or squat. I haven't opened it since I put that glass of water in and it STILL hasn't budged.

• Options
    mobyallan:
    bbc020:

I did season the humidor when I first purchased it. I totally agree with what you are saying - being that it is hard to believe that a class of water hasn't done jack or squat. I haven't opened it since I put that glass of water in and it STILL hasn't budged.

Is it a glass top humidor?
  • Options
    Ok. Sounds like I will re-season the humidor then. Off to the store to buy some distilled water...
  • Options
    yes. Glass top 100ct. I have the analog still in place but a digi in the bottom on top of a stack of sticks.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    mobyallan:
    bbc020:

Is it a glass top humidor?

Sorry Mike, forgot to quote ya - Yes. 100ct Glass Top. I still have the analog in place - but have the digital on a stack of sticks on the bottom.

• Options
    It's all good man, I bought a glass top humi once and the glass was loose and wouldn't hold a seal, just tossing out another possibility. It's sucks to lose the humidity battle.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    It's all good man, I bought a glass top humi once and the glass was loose and wouldn't hold a seal, just tossing out another possibility. It's sucks to lose the humidity battle.
    But you don't have to lose the war! Try using a cooler until you find a new humi. There are some good deals to be had if you look around.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    mobyallan:
    bbc020:

Thats becuase there isn't a lot of surface area in a shot glass. If I ever need to bump my humidity a bit I pour a shot glass of water on a saucer and place that in there which allows for a much quicker humi bump.
  • Options
    Goldy:
    mobyallan:
    bbc020:

Thats becuase there isn't a lot of surface area in a shot glass. If I ever need to bump my humidity a bit I pour a shot glass of water on a saucer and place that in there which allows for a much quicker humi bump.

Thanks goldy - I should have clarified earlier that I was using a plastic coctail cup (its shallow - shot glass is too tall for my humi). I see what you are saying though - unfortunately, I don't have the room. I;m going to be re-seasoning so I will def try the saucer.

• Options
    I have found that without an oasis it is hard to get your humidity much above 60% this time of year depending on where you live and what the RH of your house is... Don't fret 60% isnt terrible this time of year I try to keep my humi around 62-65% year round. You can spend the little extra for an oasis i guarantee a RH jump.