Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

jsnake's Reviews

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am going to start putting everything in this thread and keep it going. I have a new review I would like for you to read and leave a comment on. Check it out at www.thecigarnut.com and let me know what you think. It is a review of a new B&M, d*luxe Lounge and Cigar Deck, here in Kansas City that is incredible. You can also check them out at www.dluxelounge.com

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to post this back when I did it. Since this review they completed a nice walk-in humidor.

I enjoyed doing my first guest review so much that I asked David to let me participate some more on his website. I thought we would change things up some and throw in an occasional review of cigar related businesses in our various communities. David and I happen to live on the opposite sides of Missouri. He is in St. Louis and I am in Kansas City. Many readers of this website are located throughout the country and have great places located by them. I want to show you what is in my back yard and I hope what follows will be cigar shop related reviews submitted by more guests and David. Of course the cigar reviews will continue on a regular basis. Perhaps this might lead to a contest in the near future! If you come through Kansas City during your travels in life I want you to know of our outstanding cigar community right here in the Midwest.

Name: d*luxe Lounge & Cigar Deck
    Historic Downtown
    Parkville, Missouri 64152
    Telephone Number: 816-741-1400
    Hours of Operation: Open daily 4pm - 1am
    Sat 11am – 1am
    Sun 4pm - 1am

d*luxe Lounge & Cigar Deck is located next to the Missouri River in the beautiful historic downtown area of Parkville, Missouri. The historic downtown area of Parkville, Missouri is a fantastic mix of shops, boutiques, restaurants, spas, bed and breakfast, and other businesses. The area is a mix of 1800's through 1900's architecture and features cobblestone walkways. It is truly a one of a kind place in all of Kansas City.

d*luxe Lounge & Cigar Deck is an upscale business featuring food, drinks, and cigars. The building features a nice outdoor deck that surrounds 67 feet of the business. From the deck you have a wonderful view of the riverfront park, historic downtown Parkville, and the Missouri River. When you walk in the front door you first notice the warm and welcoming atmosphere. The bar sits in front of you and features every alcoholic beverage you could dream of on display. Tables and chairs surround the tiled bar area. No matter where you sit in this area you can see one of the three flat screen televisions and see out onto the cigar deck. The next thing you notice is the large humidor cabinet featuring exceptional cigars and accessories. Behind the humidor cabinet is the lounge area. Step up onto the carpet and you will find leather sofas covered in pillows. The lounge is very relaxing, inviting, and has an ambiance that makes you want to stay all night. Menus cover the food, drinks, and cigars that are available. You can order it all right from the comfort of your seat.

Food: The food created by their chef is something that I would expect to see in the fanciest restaurants of New York City, Miami, or San Francisco. Usually when you see food as fancy as this you think small portions and high prices. The portions here far exceed what you would expect for the price. They have subtle menu changes daily so you can expect some exciting variations.

Drinks: d*luxe has so many varieties I just can't list them all and get into all the details without making a two page review. You can get a great idea from their website. Some highlights are they feature 40 varieties of Scotch. Chimay Beer created since 1862 by Cistercian Trappist monks of Chimay, Belgium is available and has such a unique origin.

Cigars: They have something for everyone and feature some great cigars. Stradivarius, Partagas Benji Master Series, Xikar, Punch, Cohiba, Oliva, Nub, and Rocky Patel to name a few. If you need to pick up a lighter or cutter they have a great accessory selection too.

d*luxe Lounge and Cigar Deck has been open for 8 weeks now and is being newly discovered by people everyday. Smoking is currently restricted to the outdoor deck area. They are working with the city on having an indoor cigar smoking lounge in the basement area. For private events cigar smoking is allowed inside the lounge. They are in the process of building their walk-in humidor in the basement area to provide customers with a larger cigar selection. The basement also features a small wine cellar that has a door from one of the banks robbed by Jesse James. They have a business center in the basement for entrepreneurs to use free of charge while visiting.

The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. They treat you like you own the place and provide an experience that you can't find anywhere else. They will host your special events and feature a live DJ occasionally. Expect to watch a cigar roller create his own cigars every Friday night.

The lounge sofa area fills up quickly every night so make a reservation for that special occasion or celebration. This is a unique one of a kind gem in the Kansas City Metro area and is a place you must visit. When I first visited I thought this is a place I would expect to see in New York, Miami, New Orleans, or Las Vegas. Kansas City finally has an upscale cigar lounge that accepts you as you are and has prices for anyone's budget.
  • Options
    DIRTY RAT

Size: 5 X 44
    Shape: Corona
    Wrapper: Stalk-cut Sungrown Connecticut Valley Habano
    Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina
    Filler: 5 tobaccos from Honduras and Nicaragua
    Price: N/A

Behind the Stick:
    I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time. I had just met Drew Estate President Steve Saka at a cigar event of all places. He was telling me about some of the various brands made by Drew Estate including the Liga Privada series that started as a cigar made for his personal enjoyment. After talking for some time I gifted a cigar to him that I wanted him to try. In return he gave me a few Liga Privada No. 9’s and the infamous Dirty Rat. I probably looked like a kid catching Santa putting presents under the Christmas tree when I saw that Dirty Rat moving my way. There was no mention of a review but since I have done a few here I had big plans for this stick. Mr. Saka explained that because this cigar uses 5 fillers in a small ring gauge it is difficult to produce. He said they might not see production but that could change in the future. Needless to say I feel very honored to have been gifted this cigar. Thank you very much to Steve Saka. If you get the chance to meet him he is a great guy.

Construction:
    The cigar feels great in the hand for a smaller sized cigar. The wrapper is oily, toothy, and a nice dark color. The cigar sat in my humidor for about a month and had that nice slight give and bounce back after being squeezed. Of course the big thing that stands out is the pigtail. It really adds character to the cigar and looks great.

Flavor:
    The pre-light draw brought about flavors of cedar, spice, and sweet tobacco. Now when I say sweet tobacco do not start thinking infused tobaccos. These are not sweet or flavored. When I lit this cigar up I was immediately taken by the pepper which usually overwhelms my pallet. Not the case with this cigar though. I notice the amount of smoke I am getting from this small cigar is fantastic. The spiciness dissipates somewhat and I start getting a coffee taste that seemed to stay throughout the entire cigar. The aroma from the cigar was unique and reminded me of when I was a young boy and being around my uncle when he smoked. We shared the same birthday and he would always give me an empty cigar box which was the greatest thing in the world to me. This cigar brought back a lot of memories. This cigar kept me on my toes and guessing which makes for a great smoke. The flavor profile kept changing and giving me hints of dark chocolate, cedar, cinnamon, spice and a subtle sweet tobacco. All the while that coffee flavor was there but not always the dominating flavor. I kept a good ash going to about 2 inches and it was holding on tightly.

As I get into the final 1/3 of the cigar I notice it has gained strength and the nicotine really seems to kick in and hammer you. I would say it started off as more of a medium and that was what I expected it to finish as. This cigar packs a surprise at the end though. I had just eaten lunch before smoking and still had to lie down after I was finished. Make fun if you want but until you have one you have no idea. The draw was perfect and it burned like expected from start to finish.

Overall:
    I really loved this cigar and all that it offered. I want more of them and am on my knees begging for these to see production. I can’t thank Steve enough for this cigar and the honor of getting to smoke one. I want all of my friends to get the chance to experience this cigar also. Mostly I want to see your face at the end when it sneaks up and drop kicks you. This is a quality made cigar with great tobaccos and enough flavor to keep you interested to the nub. I have been hearing rumors we might see these. You all say your prayers tonight and maybe we will!

Jacob Krell
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    read this just now on cigarnut. well written and I seriously want one now. NOW!!!!
  • Options
    Size: 52 X 6 1/8
    Wrapper: Honduras Criollo 98
    Binder: Honduras Criollo 98 – Indonesia Embetunada
    Filler: Honduras, Nicaragua
    Price: Around $7 to $9

Behind The Stick: Tempus is Latin for time. I can’t say it any better and this is taken directly from the Alec Bradley website “Time is one of the most important factors when creating a great cigar; Time for the tobaccos to mature in the fields; for perfect fermentation, aging time, and time for the rich tobacco flavors to meld into one. In our industry and in our lives, time is the one component that is always in demand. Alec Bradley Tempus is created to enjoy most of what we have least….TIME”. What a great statement that we as cigar smokers should all appreciate. There is nothing better than to spend valuable time smoking a great cigar.

Construction: The wrapper is flawless with a nice dark reddish/brown oily wrapper and is one of the toothiest wrappers I have seen. The Tempus features a triple cap which was done well. I rested this cigar for a few months in my humidor and when I picked it up it felt very hard. When I squeezed there was no give and the cigar was solid. The tobaccos seemed to be rolled very tightly. I thought for sure there would be issues later on because of this but I was wrong. The cigar has a large band that really stands out and a foot band.

Flavor: The cigar starts off with a great draw and tons of smoke. I get an initial cocoa flavor, some spice, and nutty flavor. As I was smoking this cigar on my deck my wife was drawn to the aroma of the cigar which she said she really enjoyed. I told her to go ahead and try it. I would only ever share a cigar with my wife and do not share with anyone else. My wife said it reminded her of Mexican food. WHAT? I have no idea what she meant but I did tell her I was going to share that with everyone. She just giggled and said she couldn’t explain it. She did enjoy the cigar and snuck in a few more puffs periodically. About half way into the cigar I started picking up flavors of cedar, a slight sweetness, and hints of coffee. The cigar smoked very smoothly and had a great after taste. I was expecting issues with the draw or burn because the cigar felt very hard but I did not experience any negative issues. The ash held and was very solid. When I reached the 2 ½ inch mark it took some effort to knock the ash off. This cigar burned very slowly and I smoked it to a tiny nub without any excessive heat or harshness.

Overall: The Alec Bradley Tempus has been out for awhile now and we all know the extremely high ratings it received. I have never been much on ratings in magazines. I do read them and enjoy trying the higher rated cigars but have found many lower rated cigars that I like more. For me it boils down to I either like it or I don’t. If I like a cigar I can put it in some sort of order to compare it with others that I like but I do not assign a number rating or point value. I can’t be a judge of whether or not it deserved the rating someone else gave it. We all have different likes and dislikes with anything in life and especially in our hobby. They look good, smoke good, taste great, and are on target on the price for what I expect. I didn’t hear the choirs of heaven sing and it wasn’t so amazingly good that it brought tears of joy to my eyes. However, this cigar was a great experience for me and Tempus (Time) is right on the mark – Smoke time of 2 hours. I liked this cigar and I wouldn’t mind having a few of them sitting in my humidor ready to spend some time with me.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

i just got one from the sniper! I was looking forward too it, now that I read this review Im anxious to try it!

Must let cigar rest
    must let cigar rest
    Very Tempting!

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:

i just got one from the sniper! I was looking forward too it, now that I read this review Im anxious to try it!

Must let cigar rest
    must let cigar rest
    Very Tempting!

I just smoked and am writing the review on the AB Prensado. I liked the Tempus but I loved the Prensado. Smoked a Prensado 2 days in a row for an accurate review. I need a box.
  • Options
    Size: 50 X 5
    Wrapper: Corojo dos mil seis (Corojo 2006)
    Binder: Nicaraguan Jalapa
    Filler: Honduras, Nicaragua
    Price: $9.25

Behind The Stick:
    Ok, I know my last review was of the Alec Bradley Tempus. Some of you may wonder what gives with another AB review. Well, I have a nice little Alec Bradley giveaway I can’t wait to send to one of our readers who comments on this review. Details will be at the end of the review. Today I am presenting to you the Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto. Prensado comes in five vitollas: Corona Gorda, Robusto, Churchill, Gran Toro, and Torpedo. The wrapper was grown in late 2006 and was fermented and aged through mid 2008. Alec Bradley spent 6 months working on the blend for this cigar. Prensado is Alec Bradley’s most full bodied cigar to date and their first traditional pressed line of cigars.

Construction:
    The wrapper is reddish/brown and slightly oily. Some small veins can be seen throughout the wrapper. The Prensado was firm with a slight give when squeezed and somewhat softer at the foot which I find to be normal in most box pressed cigars. The triple cap is well done and looks perfect. Prensado features an oversized band that looks great and makes it stand out. I do not know if my photographs will reveal this but when you look at the foot you notice the different colors of the filler tobaccos mixed together.

Flavor:
    The cigar has a sweet tobacco and cedar aroma before lighting. The first 1/3 of the cigar is very smooth with a hint of cocoa and some spice. The burn started a little off but self corrected. The ash is white and grey striped and held for 1 ½ inches before I knocked it off which took some effort. After knocking the ash off I noticed the cigar had a nice cone burn going. 2/3 in the cigar had some serious pepper flavor picking up. I experienced a woody, sweet, cedar taste with a hint of coffee flavor. The final 3/3 of the cigar was very smooth with a hint of spiciness. The flavor finished off with a very nice cedar and cocoa flavors. After a rough start the cigar burned perfectly to the nub.

Overall:
    I really enjoyed the Alec Bradley Tempus and we all know the high ratings it received. The Alec Bradley Prensado also received a high rating yet came in right below the Tempus. While I really enjoyed both cigars I would definitely place the Prensado above the Tempus in my personal opinion. I loved this cigar from start to finish. I found it to have the flavors that I enjoy plus the complexity and fullness to keep you guessing. Just when you think you have the flavors figured out here comes a change. This cigar has so much going on and is a fantastic smoke. I can’t wait to add a box of these to my humidor. If you haven’t tried one yet I highly recommend that you try one soon. For more information on this cigar and others available from Alec Bradley please visit www.alecbradley.com.

Contest: Up for grabs is a wonderful Alec Bradley prize package. You have no idea how hard it is for me to part with some of these sticks. All you have to do to enter is leave a comment. The prize pack includes an Alec Bradley Hendrix lighter, AB Prensado Robusto 50X5, AB Tempus Terra Nova 50X5, AB Family Blend 50X5 ½ “UR1”, and an AB Special Blend 50X7 1/4 . A random winner will be chosen from all comments received.

If you guys want to enter please visit www.thecigarnut.com and leave a comment!
  • Options
    Size: 6.25 X 54
    Wrapper: Ecuadoran Habano
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican
    Price: $7 to $9 range

Behind The Stick:
    There seems to be much debate on what is behind the naming of this cigar. Some say it was named after Kung-Fu movies because it is a powerful cigar that will beat the crap out of your palate. Some say Litto Gomez loves martial arts films. Others say it is how we bend the air when we smoke and Litto Gomez envisioned this while smoking. In an interview with Cigar Aficionado Litto Gomez says, “I think when we smoke we’re bending the air. That’s what I think when I’m smoking. The names are all related to warriors and epic characters.” So maybe everyone has it a little right. Either way it is a cool name for a cigar. I really like these new directions cigar companies are going with branding and marketing. It keeps things exciting. Telling someone you are smoking an Air Bender sounds cool to me. So will this cigar land a hard kick to my face hole?

Construction:
    The Air Bender’s wrapper is a shimmering medium brown with plenty of oils. It really did kind of shimmer in the light of the hot afternoon sun. The traditional LFD cigar band wraps gently around the flawless and small veined wrapper. An inspection of this cigar revealed perfection. Whoever is rolling these things should be praised for the high quality work they are doing. This cigar is so solid I would bet you could beat someone with it and not damage it. Recently I have notice higher end cigars seem to be rolled very tightly. I used to base part of my judgment on how well a cigar was going to smoke by the squeeze test. I liked that slight give and bounce back when the cigar is squeezed between my fingers. Lately everything I have smoked is rock solid and surprisingly they smoke extremely well. So much for my squeeze test I guess. I have mentioned in past reviews of how a cigar at that time might have the best construction I have ever seen. The Air Bender is truly the best constructed cigar I have ever held as of today. Pick one up and you will experience what I am talking about.

Flavor:
    Before I light the cigar I take time to enjoy the sweet and earthy tobacco aroma. The Air Bender starts off spicy with a toasty smoothness. The flavors were very bold but not too intense or overpowering. There is a nutty and woody flavor with a slight sweetness that lingers throughout the entire cigar. About 2 inches in I hit a sweet spot that combined with the other flavors reminded me of roasting marshmallows over a campfire. The draw was wonderful and the burn was perfect. I managed to get a 2 ½ inch ash that wouldn’t drop even when I gave an intentional bump over and over. The flavors are fantastic and the finish is so smooth.

Overall:
    While Litto Gomez says this is not a cigar for “sissies” I think I whopped its butt. At the end I wanted to pop the nub in my mouth and eat it. This cigar put up a great fight and got stronger the further we got into it. I do not give up easily though and in the end I was ready to take on any warriors from the same box he came from. Litto Gomez challenged me to smoke a Chisel Maduro on Twitter so maybe he will have his revenge on me yet. I have accepted the challenge and will keep you all posted as soon as I find one of these sticks. This is definitely a stick that is box worthy. I have smoked so many good cigars lately but I think this one ranks near the very top of my favorites. This cigar was a treat and to me the price is very affordable for what I experienced. This was my first time smoking an LFD Cigar and now I know why it is a favorite brand of many of my cigar loving friends. This is a must smoke if you haven’t had one yet!
  • Options
    If you are a cigar hobbyist, enthusiast, aficionado, or even a beginner chances are you have heard of the world’s leading cigar accessory company – Xikar. Xikar got their name from the word Sikar which originates as the Mayan word for cigar. Xikar is a Kansas City company that got its start in 1996 when Kurt Van Keppel and Scott Almsberger built the first silver anodized aluminum Xi teardrop cigar cutter in a garage. 14 years ago they took their new cutter all around the various tobacco shops in Kansas City trying to sell them. Humble beginnings that began to take off when they decided to take their product to RTDA Convention and Trade Show. Being a Kansas City native and cigar freak I am very proud to have such an amazing cigar company headquartered in my home town and in the heart of our country. I was lucky enough to be invited to visit the Xikar Headquarters and today I am bringing you a behind the scenes look into their operations.

I headed off to Xikar with their address loaded into my GPS. When I arrived at my destination I was thinking my GPS has failed me big time. Xikar’s Headquarters is off the beaten path and is not easily identifiable. I guess I was expected a huge building downtown with lots of glass, metal, and some flashiness. My mind set was Xikar had to be this huge corporation in a huge building. Their office building does not possess this flashiness but it is a very nice building that probably has some history behind it.

The first thing I noticed when I walked into the building is the wonderful aroma of cigar tobacco. I was greeted by Bob Moreno, Director of Marketing, who gave me a warm welcome and a HC Habano Colorado. We walked into a conference room where Monday morning meetings take place, a typical conference room you would expect to see at any business, very professional looking. We walked by a few offices and into a large open area that looks like the heart of the operations. Several offices line the back where customer service representatives conduct their excellent customer service. I got to see into a few more offices where the senior management of Xikar does their work right next to all the other employees. A second conference room looks like a cigar product war room. This conference room is covered in Xikar products, prototypes, concept art, displays, and it is just amazing, I could have spent all day in this room just looking at everything. One wall was lined with concept art and drawings of the new products Xikar has in the works. Sorry, no trade secrets will be given away here. I was very impressed and excited with everything Xikar is currently working on.

Back in the open area in the middle of their headquarters I heard a machine running which I was told was putting custom logos onto cigar cutters. A couple of guys were busy putting together Xikar’s limited edition USA Flag Gift Packs. Kurt Van Keppel’s father is even involved and claims to be the janitor. He was sweeping the floor! Truth be told Mr. Van Keppel says he does it all and enjoys working at Xikar. Rumor is he is the first one in the office every morning. He took me to a work area where a handful of cutters are on the table to be repaired. Lighters were on another work area right around the corner. Xikar carefully logs all returned items when they receive them, repairing lighters and cutters here, and defects are then noted in their logs. Xikar takes these defects seriously and works with the parts manufacturers to address and fix these issues. Less than 2% of Xikar products are returned but if a product cannot be repaired it is replaced – simple as that. Store returned items are usually checked over to ensure proper function and placed in a box to be sent to the US Troops. Xikar packs and sends off a full box of cigar accessories to the troops at least once a month. The amount that they donate varies month to month.

I sat down with Vice-President,Scott Almsberger and Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Jerry Dear. I saw several prototypes and new items Xikar has in the works, unfortunately I wasn’t able to take pictures at their request because they are not ready to reveal these new products. With Mr. Almsberger’s permission I can tell you this much, Xikar has several Mayan themed products coming out and they all look incredible but one of them blew me away and I can’t wait for them to announce the release for it. It is like nothing you have ever seen in a cutter. There is a 64 ring gauge cutter in the works, an ultra thin cutter, a few camo wrapped cutters, and a new lighter featuring 2 sizes of punch cutters built in and the ability to customize the lighter. When I say camo wrapped cutters you need to use your imagination and think outside the box of military camo. You can also look forward to a 6X60 cigar and rumor has it next year we may see something in a maduro. Product packaging is going from blue to black with a schematic of a cutter covering it. Mr. Almsberger took me through the beginning of a concept to its inception. The process from start to finish is a great amount of work as he showed me the file of one of their cutters. It seems they are constantly striving for perfection and not only working on new products but improving existing products.

Xikar doesn’t just produce high quality cigar cutters; they also have knives, lighters, containers, cases, travel humidors, pens, money clips, wallets, and cigars. The highly rated HC Series cigars are blended by Jesus Fuego and manufactured by Nestor Palcencia. Right now there are three cigars – Connecticut Shade, Habano Colorado, and Criollo. I have only smoked the Habano Colorado and it was an excellent cigar. Check back here for a review of all three very soon! It is going to be a special review and 100% Xikar – cigar, cutter, and lighter.

Earlier I said I imagined Xikar to be this huge corporation when it is actually a small company with that welcoming small business atmosphere. The entire staff made me feel like I was at home and part of the Xikar team. While everyone was busy working you couldn’t help but noticed they all seemed happy to be there. There was much preparation to do for the upcoming IPCPR show in New Orleans and with that and other business items I am sure much stress. You couldn’t feel the stress in the air though. With all the work they had to do it meant a lot to me that they would take the time to show me around and talk with me. I imagine this may be why their headquarters is off the beaten path. Can you imagine if every cigar loving fool spotted their building and decided to stop in for a visit? Xikar cares about their customers so much I imagine they would take time with each person and never get their work done.

After 2 hours that went by way too fast I did not want leave. I am wondering if they might need a Vice President of Product Testing and Consumption. Xikar – The Best Thing To Happen To Cigars Since Fire. Xikar For Life. Xikar not only guarantees their products for life but that same guarantee promises them you will be their customer for life. Please visit them at www.xikar.com.

Thank you to everyone at Xikar who made my visit special. I didn’t name you all but you all made a lasting impression on me. Special thanks to Mr. Kurt Van Keppel for being so accessible to your customers and for giving me this privilege of visiting.
  • Options
    Behind The Stick:

I was chatting with Guillermo L
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    jsnake:
    Behind The Stick:

I was chatting with Guillermo L
  • Options
    Illusione ~2~

Size: 5.25 X 52
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Rosado Oscuro Corojo
    Binder: Nicaragaun
    Filler: Nicaragaun
    Price: $8 to $9 range

Behind the Stick:

I picked up this Illusione ~2~ at Just For Him in Springfield, Missouri which offers a fantastic selection of Illusione Cigars. Dion Giolito says, “The concept behind illusione cigars is relative to Faith in God and our constant struggle between good and evil.” He created the brand to recreate a specific taste profile from years past before the Sandinistas took over Nicaragua. It seems that Dion has put his heart and soul right into these cigars. Every number in the illusion cigar line has a certain meaning. “~2~ And Crowned of Thorns No explanation here is really needed. 2 is the son of God doing battle against evil, the enlightened one, the soul-saver, all forgiving.” This is a cigar brand made by a man who has passion and purpose behind what he is doing. Please visit www.illusionecigars.com to learn more.

Construction:

The illusione ~2~ is a short torpedo shaped cigar. The wrappers is a light chocolate color with reddish tint, slightly rough texture, and veiny. The rough texture seems fitting with the branding and concept behind the cigars. The cigar features a superb triple cap, spicy chocolate pre-light aroma, solidly packed tobaccos, and no give when squeezed. Pre-light draw reminded me of cinnamon.

The Flavor:

Spicy, spicy, spicy! The illusione ~2~ starts off with peppery with a slightly sweet spiciness that grabs your attention. The burn was perfect, draw was just right, the smoke was plentiful, with a brilliant white ash. The spiciness seemed to pick up and peek about 2/3rds in and then slowly subsided at an even pace to the end. I experienced an array of flavors including coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted nuts. There is an underlying sweetness and a hint of cinnamon throughout. The ash appeared to be holding solid at 1 ½ inches.

Overall:

This is the first and only illusione Cigar I have ever smoked and it was everything I expected and more. I seriously can’t wait to try the other blends from illusione. Since these are made in small batch quantities they are sometimes hard to find. The illusione ~2~ is definitely box worthy and if you are lucky enough to find an unopened box I would recommend buying it fast. The price is fitting with what you get in this cigar. There is a story and sense of mystery or conspiracy behind these cigars. Dion created a unique brand and blended a fantastic cigar.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    jsnake:
    Illusione ~2~

Size: 5.25 X 52
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Rosado Oscuro Corojo
    Binder: Nicaragaun
    Filler: Nicaragaun
    Price: $8 to $9 range

Behind the Stick:

I picked up this Illusione ~2~ at Just For Him in Springfield, Missouri which offers a fantastic selection of Illusione Cigars. Dion Giolito says, “The concept behind illusione cigars is relative to Faith in God and our constant struggle between good and evil.” He created the brand to recreate a specific taste profile from years past before the Sandinistas took over Nicaragua. It seems that Dion has put his heart and soul right into these cigars. Every number in the illusion cigar line has a certain meaning. “~2~ And Crowned of Thorns No explanation here is really needed. 2 is the son of God doing battle against evil, the enlightened one, the soul-saver, all forgiving.” This is a cigar brand made by a man who has passion and purpose behind what he is doing. Please visit www.illusionecigars.com to learn more.

Construction:

The illusione ~2~ is a short torpedo shaped cigar. The wrappers is a light chocolate color with reddish tint, slightly rough texture, and veiny. The rough texture seems fitting with the branding and concept behind the cigars. The cigar features a superb triple cap, spicy chocolate pre-light aroma, solidly packed tobaccos, and no give when squeezed. Pre-light draw reminded me of cinnamon.

The Flavor:

Spicy, spicy, spicy! The illusione ~2~ starts off with peppery with a slightly sweet spiciness that grabs your attention. The burn was perfect, draw was just right, the smoke was plentiful, with a brilliant white ash. The spiciness seemed to pick up and peek about 2/3rds in and then slowly subsided at an even pace to the end. I experienced an array of flavors including coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted nuts. There is an underlying sweetness and a hint of cinnamon throughout. The ash appeared to be holding solid at 1 ½ inches.

Overall:

This is the first and only illusione Cigar I have ever smoked and it was everything I expected and more. I seriously can’t wait to try the other blends from illusione. Since these are made in small batch quantities they are sometimes hard to find. The illusione ~2~ is definitely box worthy and if you are lucky enough to find an unopened box I would recommend buying it fast. The price is fitting with what you get in this cigar. There is a story and sense of mystery or conspiracy behind these cigars. Dion created a unique brand and blended a fantastic cigar.
    i've had the cg4, the 88, and the 68 (i think those are the names). I know the cg4 and 68 are correct, and both were fantastic. The 68 is a petit corona size and was the best of the 3 in my opinion. I can't speak on the 88 because I've only had one and don't remember much about it.
  • Options
    The Bowery Robusto by Velvet Cigars

Size: 5.25 X 50 Box-pressed
    Wrapper: Habano Ecuadorian
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran
    Price: $195 for a box of 20

Behind The Stick:

Velvet Cigars Lounge of New York City is a family owned cigar lounge that has seen three generations at work. Affluence.org has named Velvet Cigars Lounge one of the top 5 cigar hang outs in the world. The good press and accolades do not stop there. They have created their own cigar lines that are named for locations in New York City’s East Village neighborhood. I am not one to run out and smoke what I would consider house blends so this is a new experience for me. Before you decide you agree with that statement and have no interest in reading on I ask that you do not make such a mistake. I was introduced to and became familiar with Velvet Cigars through Twitter.

Velvet Cigars Lounge of New York City provided samples of this cigar for review. Thank you!

Construction:

The Velvet Bowery cigars just look fantastic. I don’t know if the Velvet name was playing with my mind but I swear the wrapper has this very soft “velvety” feel to it. The wrapper is a rich dark brown with just a hint of oils and very small veins. The cigar features a triple cap that was perfect on my first sample and a little loose on my second. This however did not have any effect on smoking. When I squeezed the cigar it has a nice slight give. A closer inspection reveals no soft spots and the tobacco appears to be evenly rolled. The red, gold, and cream band is simple yet elegant. “Velvet” stands out on the front and “Bowery” is off set on the back.

Flavor:

Pre-light: The wrapper has a great rich chocolate aroma. The foot has a very crisp and unique chocolate and vanilla aroma. Based off the initial aromas I was really excited to light the cigar. I experienced a spicy tingle on my tongue and lips from the wrapper. The pre-light draw was of sweet chocolate.

1/3rd: The cigar was easy to light and had a very nice draw. The cigar starts off with a distinct and very nice vanilla and chocolate flavor with a slight spiciness. The cigar quickly transitioned into a nutty almond flavor.

2/3rd: The flavors of chocolate and coffee really come through and dominate through this portion of the cigar. The spiciness remains and I start to pick up a buttery flavor and a cinnamon finish.

Final 3rd: The sweet chocolate flavors continue and the coffee flavor develops a roasted flavor. There is some peppery finish also. The ash held well and was bright white and gray striped. The burn was razor sharp and impressive.

Overall:

I was a skeptic right from the start. I consider something like this to be a house blend and when I saw the price I thought a very expensive house blend. Put that aside and what you have is a very good cigar that was a solid medium to me. The flavors were wonderful and complex. I really enjoyed the vast array of flavors I experienced. Sometimes the flavor was distinct and other times vanilla, almond, chocolate, and coffee flavors seemed intertwined and teasing to the palate. I was caught off guard and really impressed by this cigar. Do not skip this because you might feel the same way I initially did. The Bowery is destined to be on my top cigar list for 2010. Velvet Cigars can be purchased online only at velvetcigars.com. Do yourself a favor and at least try one of their sampler packs. I personally plan on ordering some in the near future and have to thank Velvet for giving me the opportunity to smoke a cigar that I might have otherwise and regretfully missed out on.

More Info: www.velvetcigars.com / Facebook: Velvet Cigar Lounge / Twitter: @VelvetCigars
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Nice Reviews JSnake