Home Cigar 101
Options

"dryboxing"

I was talking to a buddy of mine, and he mentioned 'dryboxing' certain cigars. He told me he has a dry(unseasoned) humi that he throws certain smokes in for a couple of days before he smokes them. Has anyone heard of this? If so, do you recommend it? What kind of cigars are good like this?

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    There are some situations; mostly it's to loosen up a tight draw

http://tinyurl.com/yghcjfp

• Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    leemarshall337:
    Has anyone heard of this? If so, do you recommend it? What kind of cigars are good like this?
    Hi, My name is Cliff, and I'm a "dry boxer". Welcome to the group! lol.

I like the 5 Vegas Relic and other rich, oily cigars and I dry box them anywhere from a few hours to a day or 2 before smoking them. I don't do it because of any "plugging" or draw problems, but rather because those cigars are very oily and made with legero and they will simply smoke better at a lower RH than your other sticks.
    I have a small 20 count humi with no humidification device and it's perfect for this. Other cigars that I have dry boxed are the Romedeos Don Victor, JR Ultimate Maduro, Rocky Patel Sungrown.

I would not dry box anything in the "mild to medium" range, as they most likely would not benefit from it. Experiment with a stick once in a while and you may find a couple that will simply smoke better after being "dry boxed".

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I agree with what has been said. In fact, I find that all of my sticks with an oily wrapper will smoke better if dry boxed for a couple of days.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of this but never done it. I've left a few sticks out on the counter before smoking them because they seemed over-humidified. The Liga Privada always seemed to need some drying out time to me.
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I like to dry box maduros. Ive found you have less burn issues. I use an empty cigar box to dry box them in. Its hard sometimes to plan what your smoking in the next couple days especially when you change your mind like I do.
  • Options
    I have a cask that fits about 20 cigars, and I use that as a drybox sometimes. Honestly though, I haven't noticed a difference. We have high humidity where I live, so it doesn't really dry it out too much.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i never dry box. i just have my RH at 65% instead of 70% all the time.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Kuzi, I have the RH at 62-65.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I had an IT Maduro SF last night that had some burn issues. The stick was quite soft and I am attributing that to my 70% RH in my humi. This is a case where dryboxing would have helped.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    that super fuerte is even too oily for me at 62%. i think that may be the perfect candidate for dryboxing

on a side note, leemarshall, is the 337 in your name in reference to a VW?
  • Options
    so is dryboxing keeping a box completely unseasoned or keeping a box closer to 60%?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    I would prefer that, but I basically live in a jungle. I have to run the AC all day to keep the rh in the 70's. And that'sin the winter.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    leemarshall337:
    kuzi16:
    I would prefer that, but I basically live in a jungle. I have to run the AC all day to keep the rh in the 70's. And that'sin the winter.
    heartfelt beads will soak up humidity and bring it down to 65%.

you just have to dry them out now and then.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    teebone673:
    so is dryboxing keeping a box completely unseasoned or keeping a box closer to 60%?
    "dry boxing" is keeping a box unseasoned. You can use a simple cedar cigar box. It doesn't have to be a humidor, just make sure it's clean and it closes well. You don't want to leave a cigar out on the counter for any extended period of time. By keeping it in a box for a day before smoking it, you allow the outside of the cigar to start to dry out a little bit. An oily cigar won't comletely dry out in that time period, but it seems to allow the oils to blend better. Any Maduro cigar that you find burns uneven should burn better after a day of dry boxing.

The 5 Vegas Relic that i use as an example of a good choice to dry box is perfect for this. The rich tobacco and all those oils can cause burn issues, and the shape of the cigar makes it difficult to get an even light and burn. After a day in a dry box, it should burn much better and that will make for a better taste and smoke.

If you decide to dry box a cigar, and then you change your mind about smoking it, just put it back in the humi until next time. No harm done as far as I can tell, unless you do it every day.

• Options
    camgfs:
    teebone673:
    "dry boxing" is keeping a box unseasoned. You can use a simple cedar cigar box. It doesn't have to be a humidor, just make sure it's clean and it closes well. You don't want to leave a cigar out on the counter for any extended period of time. By keeping it in a box for a day before smoking it, you allow the outside of the cigar to start to dry out a little bit. An oily cigar won't comletely dry out in that time period, but it seems to allow the oils to blend better. Any Maduro cigar that you find burns uneven should burn better after a day of dry boxing.

The 5 Vegas Relic that i use as an example of a good choice to dry box is perfect for this. The rich tobacco and all those oils can cause burn issues, and the shape of the cigar makes it difficult to get an even light and burn. After a day in a dry box, it should burn much better and that will make for a better taste and smoke.

If you decide to dry box a cigar, and then you change your mind about smoking it, just put it back in the humi until next time. No harm done as far as I can tell, unless you do it every day.

Great explanation, man. Thanks!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro-bump
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    I'm with Kuzi, I have the RH at 62-65.

Same.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I've dryboxed cigars but it's just something temporary that really doesn't do a complete job...what's more important is to have your humidor at the RH that prevents one from making short cuts to get their cigars down to the proper RH. Even in a day or two you can't get a cigar completely down to the RH that you want...there will be spots in the cigar that will be dry and other areas still over humidified which is the reasoning behind "dryboxing"....to relieve a cigar of too much moisture.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Dryboxing an old Espinosa Murcielago and a Micallef A for tonight, don't usually bother since I run with 65% and even 62% Boveda packs, but I do find that it does help, especially when your ambient rH or temp is extreme.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will dry box new purchased cigars if I plan on smoking it that same day or two. Also pipe tobacco set out open in a room to dry it out is also good if it's too moist. I once put some in an empty cigar box to dry some slowly.

Love the digging up old threads.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!