Home Non Cigar Related
Options

iPod File Transfer Size Limit?

Besides it usual purpose, I've been using my iPod for a couple years as a portable storage device. For some reason though, I can't transfer media to it if the file size is over, say, 4 or 5 Gb. I have almost 21 Gb free memory on the iPod. Does anyone know how to remedy the problem? I haven't found anyway to allow larger file transfers even if that were the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Try not using itunes... Try sharepod or something like that.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Maybe it is due to the formatting system used, I know fat32 limits file sizes to I think 2gb not sure if that's the limit imposed or if it's larger. If it is the formatting system, I don't know that you could change it without it affecting to way the ipod functions. I'm no expert, so take it with a grain of salt....maybe someone more knowledgeable will weigh in.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Maybe it is due to the formatting system used, I know fat32 limits file sizes to I think 2gb not sure if that's the limit imposed or if it's larger. If it is the formatting system, I don't know that you could change it without it affecting to way the ipod functions. I'm no expert, so take it with a grain of salt....maybe someone more knowledgeable will weigh in.
    Yeah, I think you hit it right on the nose here. After doing some research, most ipod drives come preformatted as Fat32 fort multiOS compatibility. This File system has a maximum file size limitation of 2Gb. I would need to reformat as NTFS to use larger file sizes on it. I'm not reformatting it because it'll probably screw up other features. I was going to save the company a few bucks but now I'll need them to buy a large capacity flash drive. Technology is such a pain in the ass some times.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    j0zer is right, its a file system limitation. I seriously doubt you could format an ipod to ntfs and have it still function as an ipod. what the hell are you trying to copy that is over 4 gigs???? are these mp3s? theres a good program called mp3 trim that will let you split the files.
  • Options
    We have hi-res GIS aerial images that I need to extract, and some of them are over 2Gb in size. I also have to copy over some safety films to our service center servers, and each are in 720p, so a few of them are 8Gb in size. Copying anything over 100Mb over the network makes the admins lose their minds. I was just going to save my company a few bones by doing it on the iPod, but now it looks as if they need to purchase some portable memory. I spoke to SanDisk and Kingston and they both said their hi-capacity USB flash drives can be reformatted to NTFS.