Home Cigar 101
Options

Glass top Humidors?

can someone advise me if the glass top humidors function as reliably as the traditional ones.
I am thinking that the glass tops may cause some changes in temp. inturn fluctuating the humidity level.

what about the exposure to light, could it affect the cigars?

Comments

• Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    this is a good question anyone got anything?
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Augusto:

can someone advise me if the glass top humidors function as reliably as the traditional ones.
    I am thinking that the glass tops may cause some changes in temp. inturn fluctuating the humidity level.

what about the exposure to light, could it affect the cigars?

I prefer glasstops bc you don't have to open them to check RH and temp but there are some issues especially if its not quality. You don't want to put any humi in direct sunlight for temp reasons but its especially true for glass tops. Other than that I don't notice too much fluctuation.
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    thanks for that insight maduro
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there is no reason that a glass top humidor would be any worse than an all wood one. but like maddy said, keep it out of the sun. Heck thats good advice for ANY humidor.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    there is no reason that a glass top humidor would be any worse than an all wood one. but like maddy said, keep it out of the sun. Heck thats good advice for ANY humidor.
    I need another large desktop and it will be a glasstop so that I can look at my cigars all the time. I think they are great, for that reason alone. MMMMMM cigars !
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    I need another large desktop and it will be a glasstop so that I can look at my cigars all the time. I think they are great, for that reason alone. MMMMMM cigars !
    that would make me want to smoke even more
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    If RP's MM is a double-maduro cigar, then "MMMMMM cigars" must be, like, sextuple-maduro.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    If RP's MM is a double-maduro cigar, then "MMMMMM cigars" must be, like, sextuple-maduro.
    That's way, way too much maduro.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    Is there such a thing?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    Is there such a thing?
    No, I suppose not. I'd buy a sextuple maduro if one came out.
  • Options
    I just bought one so this thread was very good to find. Here is a picture of the one that is on the way.

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    Leave it to Rocky Patel, huh?
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    Leave it to Rocky Patel, huh?
    You better smoke that one sitting down !! Leave it to Rocky he can get it done.
  • Options
    LCarLCar Posts: 57

While we are on the subject of humidors...my humidor is crap. By crap I mean that it will not pass the dollar bill test or the drop test. Err...uhh, I mean the lid drop test. (hahaha no wonder why his humi is all messed up, he's dropping the thing!)  I bought it because it was cheap at the time when I first started smoking cigars and didn't know much about them. I have been able to painstakingly maintain the proper humidity, but it is getting to be a pain in my ***.

So my question is this: What kind (brand or otherwise) of humidor is good and reliable, and not crazy expensive? I mean, I know that humis are expensive, but I know that you all have more experience with humis, and would know a good bang for the buck if it was out there. I mean, I know that it needs to have a tight seal, and should be spanish cedar, but there are so many sites out there claiming to have good humidors, that I'm hoping someone can just "point" to one and say..."that one is good, I've had no trouble with it," etc. I'm hoping to find something between the 75-100ct size. I've seen the threads about buying a cooler or a tuppador, but I too, would succumb to the "empty" look it would have and I would end up with way more cigars than I could smoke in a reasonable amout of time, hahaha.

• Options
    LCar

check your PMs
  • Options
    LCar.. Check your pm I hope this helps you out.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    dtrdwngs:
    I just bought one so this thread was very good to find. Here is a picture of the one that is on the way.
    Ask rusirius about pictures of things you've ordered!
  • Options
    LCarLCar Posts: 57
    Thank you to all who answered my questions. Much appreciated.