Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Getting a new pistol

I recently completed my concealed carry permit stuff and am now looking for my first semi auto pistol. I've been shooting since I was a kid but I just now have the money to get a handgun of my own. I've decided on a .40 and am trying to pick a gun now. If I had to decide today I'd get the sig p229. I like the safety and the feel, and have read about their reliability and accuracy. I first considered the glock 22, but I don't think I can overlook the lack of a full safety. Anyone here shoot a .40 and can give me their input I'd appreciate it. I haven't fully eliminated anything yet, so all comments are welcome. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    O, and while this will be a carry gun on trips, I work at a university, so I won't be carrying often, so size isn't important. Actually full size is preferred. I'll mostly just have this in the pickup on trips and take it to the range.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'd go with the Sig. They are awesome guns that are the most reliable thing on the market. If price is no object the Sig or a H and K would be my choice. Those are the best around. The Glock is a good gun too. The Dept I work for issues the .40 cal. Glocks. I may be getting a new pistol myself this week. Thinking about going for a 45 this time since I have a 380, a couple 9mm's, and a 40 cal.
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Out of all of my handguns my sig 9 is probably the most enjoyable to shoot. Everything is just so silky smooth. For a 40 I’ve got the Taurus PT 40, I’ve got no complaints with it. Plus it’s the stainless version with wood grips, nice looking piece.

I let my permit expire as I only used it when I traveled. I don’t know, a person has to think about the liability in carrying around a loaded gun.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I have a 1911, and haven't gotten the chance to get my hands on a sig yet, so I can't really help with any recommendation; but if you want a forum full of gun guys, go to http://forums.1911forum.com/ - yeah, it's a forum devoted to the 1911, but there's a lot of guys on there who own multiple types of guns (just be prepared to have the 1911 recommended a lot, in addition to sigs). The guys on the 1911forum can even help you pick a gun in a certain price range
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I am sure I will catch some flack for this but I love Taurus handguns. I have a 1911 and a 24/7 that I swear by. I have never had any issues with either gun. And for the price the 24/7 is a steal. Altho the Sig is a great gun too. I have not had the chance to shoot a Glock so I dont have an opinion on that one.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    It's a great choice. The 229 is my daily carry. With the .40, you can also convert to .357 Sig just by swapping the barrel. There's a reason why so many police departments and federal agencies carry it... not just price.

Another that's been getting some good reviews (but that I haven't added to the collection yet) is the Sig 250. It's an interchangeable system, you can swap frame and grip sizes, calibers, making it very flexible.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    First, I know I will catch heat from the Sig fans out there, but I would recommend something else. If you just want something to shoot at targets, the Sig is a fine gun. However, the bore axis on Sig handguns is pretty high. Add to that the very snappy recoil of the .40 and shot to shot times suffer compared to guns like Glock, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD or even a 1911 style. Since you are looking at a CCW piece, this is important, IMO

I would also, personally, go with 9mm or .45 before I would look at .40 or .357 Sig. I have witnessed any number of people who claim they can accurately shoot .40 as well as a 9mm or .45 in the same sized package. It has never been demonstrated with a shot time, IME. All service callibers perform very similarly on humans with modern JHP ammo. None of them are death rays and all of them benefit greatly from nearly simultaneous multiple hits. 9mm gives you the ability to have rapid, accurate shots and provides the largest payload in a given envelope. it is also the least expensive to shoot.

If your mind is made up, I know I won't sway you but at least gave you information so you can make an educated decision. Even if you go with .40 I'd suggest you look at the polymer framed pistols. The polymer frame helps with recoil a small bit and they are lighter than steel or even allow framed guns, which is a plus in a carry gun.

One last thing totally beyond what you were asking about, but have you thought about a revolver at all. I can carry almost everywhere I go on a daily basis. However some are NPEs where I really cannot afford to be made. A j-frame is easy to conceal and still provides an adequate round. It wouldn't be my first choice, but a gun on your person is better than a bigger gun home in the safe. I also prefer a revolver in a grappling scenario. It is harder to disarm, cannot be knocked out of battery and can be run even with someone grabbing the cylinder if the proper technique is used.

Best of luck with whatever you go with.
  • Options
    One thing I forgot to add that I think is really important. Go to a range that rents a lot of different types of guns and shoot as many as you can. IMO, too many people go with what looks cool or was recommended by friends and "experts" when a trip or two to the range could have outfitted them with a weapon that fits THAT PERSON better. Take care
  • Options
    I still say the Sig is the way to go... I figure if it is good enough for the SEAL's, then it's good enough for a CCW. lol

Well I went to the gun show today and had a sweet new Glock G22 RTF2 .40 Cal. all picked out and was ready to buy it, when I decided since I already have a .40 cal. and a 9mm, and a .380, I would pick me up a good home defense shotgun. I have a Browning Citori over and under, but it's a hunting gun. I wanted something more compact and intimidating... soooooo I went with the Remington model 870 with the 2 round extension. 6 in the tube and 1 in the hole in all black with the composite stock. I'm pretty happy with my purchase!
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    I still say the Sig is the way to go... I figure if it is good enough for the SEAL's, then it's good enough for a CCW. lol

Well I went to the gun show today and had a sweet new Glock G22 RTF2 .40 Cal. all picked out and was ready to buy it, when I decided since I already have a .40 cal. and a 9mm, and a .380, I would pick me up a good home defense shotgun. I have a Browning Citori over and under, but it's a hunting gun. I wanted something more compact and intimidating... soooooo I went with the Remington model 870 with the 2 round extension. 6 in the tube and 1 in the hole in all black with the composite stock. I'm pretty happy with my purchase!
    1911, my friend; been in service for almost 100 years, and used by SWAT and police alike, along with a sizeable chunk of the military
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    I prefer the glock. I have a .40, .45 and a 9mm. They are very reliable even after taking a beating. I know there is no real safety mechanism, but when it hits the fan I rather let the lead start flying because I'm sure I would forget the safety.
  • Options
    Glocks do have a safety, btw. It is the bar on the trigger. You disengage it when you place your finger on the trigger, which you should never do without deciding to shoot what you are aiming at. If your Glock goes boom when you don't want it to, it is a software issue, not a hardware issue. Carry in a good holster and you'll never have anything to worry about.
  • Options
    I know about the safety on the trigger, I'm just worried (and have heard stories) about things like the holster strap getting caught in the trigger guard when you put it in. Things like that make me reconsider...
  • Options
    What holster strap?

Most people who talk about something getting caught in there while holstering and the gun "going off", if persued to the truth, usually turns out to be their finger was in the trigger guard when they went to reholster.

That said, an IWB holster does not need nor do most have any retention straps. IMO, for citizens, retention mechanisms are just not necessary and do more harm than good.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Glock .40 is a great gun. I'm more impressed with the Glock .10, though. It's the preferred choice for European Law Enforcement. Which might not mean much, but you almost NEVER hear about Europeans endorsing guns. So, that says a lot......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    I have the Glock 27 which is the compact 40 and I have never had one problem with it. I carry it in a IWB and I do admit, sometimes your mind will play tricks on you when your putting it in the holster and you have this image of blowing a chunk out of you ass due to it not having an external safety. But I still continue to carry it everyday.
  • Options
    If I get a glock it will probably be the 17. I like the idea of having a gun in a cheaper caliber, but after messing with several different manufacturers, I just can't find anything I like better than the P229R in .40.
  • Options
    nsezell:
    If I get a glock it will probably be the 17. I like the idea of having a gun in a cheaper caliber, but after messing with several different manufacturers, I just can't find anything I like better than the P229R in .40.
    If a cheaper caliber is your concern, you can always buy a conversion kit; they run between $400-$600, but allow you to shoot lower calibers

Plug for 1911 - 1911 has two safeties, one on the slide, and a grip safety, and was designed to be carried condition 1/cocked and locked. /end plug

If you're looking for a good IWB holster, I'd recommend Crossbreed Supertuck, Compt-Tac MTAC, or the Tucker "The Answer" - all very good holsters. Be sure to buy a good gun belt too; the entire rig is a system, and without a good stiff gun belt, the gun will sag and will be miserable to wear; a good belt makes all-day wear very easy
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    nsezell:
    If a cheaper caliber is your concern, you can always buy a conversion kit; they run between $400-$600, but allow you to shoot lower calibers

Plug for 1911 - 1911 has two safeties, one on the slide, and a grip safety, and was designed to be carried condition 1/cocked and locked. /end plug

If you're looking for a good IWB holster, I'd recommend Crossbreed Supertuck, Compt-Tac MTAC, or the Tucker "The Answer" - all very good holsters. Be sure to buy a good gun belt too; the entire rig is a system, and without a good stiff gun belt, the gun will sag and will be miserable to wear; a good belt makes all-day wear very easy
    Come on, fess up...you're a 1911 rep, right?
  • Options
    Nope, just a fan :D When I get some more money saved up, I plan on getting an SA Professional, and maybe an XD or Glock
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I picked up a Ruger Gp100 last month, pretty happy with it. I like what someone else said earlier in the thread...shoot a bunch and find what works for you. I've shot a bunch and liked them all for different reasons.
  • Options
    Luko:
    I picked up a Ruger Gp100 last month, pretty happy with it. I like what someone else said earlier in the thread...shoot a bunch and find what works for you. I've shot a bunch and liked them all for different reasons.
    Yep me too. I shoot alot. I've never shot a gun that I didnt like. I just like to shoot no matter what the gun is or the caliber. I've always said that I dont understand why people spend so much money for therapy, all they need to do is buy a cigar and a box of shells. Thats my therapy.
  • Options
    Doughty421:
    I've always said that I dont understand why people spend so much money for therapy, all they need to do is buy a cigar and a box of shells. Thats my therapy.
    damn right!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Weird I missed this thread. I'm an NRA pistol instructor and love gun talk! :)

One thing to consider with carry is weight, not simply size. I own a SIG 228 and LOVE shooting it, but I can't stand carrying it. It's much heavier than my Walther P99 or my Glock, and this is why I go to the Walther every day. Not to mention the ergonomics on the Walther are in my humble opinion the best of any handgun, period. Mag release, slide release, and grip are my favorite of any gun I've owned or shot.

A couple other things to consider: whatever pistol you decide to get, you'll train with it and will get much better with it. The arguments surrounding "this gun is more accurate than this one, blah blah blah" are crap - you'll get faster and more accurate the more you train with your pistol and that's what is important. Assuming the gun is a high-quality one.

Which brings me to my next point: Taurus. For those that posted saying they have one and love it - good for you. I really hope your pistol works well and you love it for the rest of your life. The bottom line is these pistols are cheap and are simply not made to the quality that you can buy for $100 more. Your life is worth paying a bit more for Glock, SIG, H&K, Walther, Smith&Wesson, Springfield, etc. In addition to the quality, the trigger on the 24/7 is down-right awful. Double taps with a mile-long trigger reset is incredibly difficult. I taught a private class with a student in January with a Taurus and gently explained to him what I meant, and then showed him the reset on my P99. Night and day difference and he understood immediately.

Find a pistol you love and shoot well, that is well made, and shoot the ever-living hell out of it. Train with a purpose - don't just fire off rounds for fun. Training IS fun and you'll improve with proper training.

Oh, and I don't remember who mentioned 9mm earlier - but yeah, I agree completely. Faster follow-up shots, greater accuracy. Use some Winchester Rangers and you'll be just as effective as a .40 cal. Do you own research on ammunition and you'll realize that the sad fact about hand gun calibers is they all suck at killing people.
  • Options
    My only concern with a 9mm round is wall penetration. I guess that can be taken care of with round selection, but it is a concern.
  • Options
    nsezell:
    My only concern with a 9mm round is wall penetration. I guess that can be taken care of with round selection, but it is a concern.
    My issue with a 9mm is that I've seen them bounce off the sloped windshield of a car. That is why I wouldn't carry any less than a .40 cal. The extra punch makes a hell of a difference.
  • Options
    All service caliber handguns are going to go right through sheetrock. If you really want something that is going to provide adequate power and not overpenetrate you should look at .223/5.56 carbines. Lightweight bullets in that caliber will penetrate much less in sheetrock than any reasonable load in a handgun or shotgun, yet will be effective under direct fire. The other benefit is that I have never met a person who could not handle the mild recoil of an Ar-15.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    nsezell:
    My issue with a 9mm is that I've seen them bounce off the sloped windshield of a car. That is why I wouldn't carry any less than a .40 cal. The extra punch makes a hell of a difference.
    This is much more an indictment of the round than the caliber. name something you want a round to do and the specific round can be designed, within reason.

Fact of the matter is, for a citizen utilizing a handgun. barrier penetration is far distant, in importance, to being able to put rapid shots on target.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Well by now Im sure you bought something but I am surprised no one mentioned the Springfield Armory XD 9mm or .40 . I have the 9mm sub compact and CC is exactly what it was intended for. I love this thing. Its accuracy for a 3 inch barrel is great. i would suggest this gun.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Do your own research on ammunition and you'll realize that the sad fact about hand gun calibers is they all suck at killing people.
    This. Years ago, I was talking with an NRA instructor who told me this little bit:

If the line below is the amount of power required to kill in a single shot:

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

This is the amount of power you can expect from a .45:

|------------------|

This is the amount you can expect from a 9mm:

|-------|

The simple fact is, a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45. That said, I never heard of anyone who wanted less firepower. The standard advice is to go with as much firepower as you can control; if 9mm is the most power you can accurately shoot, then use 9mm and don't listen to anyone who tells you to go higher. If you can handle a .45, then go with a .45.

Another factor often overlooked is weight and profile; glocks are lighter than an all-steel frame, but they're thicker due to being staggered rounds; steel guns are better at controlling recoil due to their weight, but they're also heavier (a good holster and belt, which'll cost you about $80 each, will erase this problem for carrying). Just read as much as you can, go to a bunch of gun forums and read and ask questions - most people on gun forums, much like Ccom, love to answer questions by newbies.