Home General Discussion
Options

For Everyone

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I'm pretty sure that would be breaking the law!
    And if we helped you, we would be breaking the law also....
    Good luck on your quest and welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    dude seriously, ask a different question for your first post....one thats not illegal
  • Options
    I purchased all of my cubans from www.atf.gov great group of guys at that company and they will even come out to your house to inspect your collection!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    if one wants a product that is illegal in the states, one must go to where they aren't illegal and purchase them, but to posses them is also illegal so you must smoke them where you bought them.
    on a different note, this is not the place for that question and I'm pretty sure that there aren't any internet retailers that ship contraband into the states and get away with it.
  • Options
    LMAO best answer yet, Ive been on there website and there prices look real reasonable.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    dennisking pretty much nailed it - you can buy cubans and smoke them outside the US and you're not breaking any laws; but once you try to bring them onto US soil or into US waters, then the ATF might be knocking on your door. Any attempt to have an overseas retailer ship them to you and circumvent customs would be considered smuggling
  • Options
    So im guessing there was a question about cubans...the OP just says "thanks". LOL.

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    xmacro:
    dennisking pretty much nailed it - you can buy cubans and smoke them outside the US and you're not breaking any laws; but once you try to bring them onto US soil or into US waters, then the ATF might be knocking on your door. Any attempt to have an overseas retailer ship them to you and circumvent customs would be considered smuggling

Actually, it is illegal (against US law) for a US citizen to buy or smoke cuban cigars anywhere in the world. It is unenforceable, but still illegal.
  • Options
    One2gofst:
    xmacro:

Actually, it is illegal (against US law) for a US citizen to buy or smoke cuban cigars anywhere in the world. It is unenforceable, but still illegal.
    Yeah I was just going to mention this as well. Not trying to argue semantics, or say what is right or wrong, but the law is No after embargo cubans anywhere for any US citizen.
  • Options
    Hey there is a cigar shop that sells legal cubans down in orlando right? I think a pre embargo cohiba goes for like 200-300 If I remember right!! Maybe someone can remember the name so we can send him over there.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    I think that the biggest concern would be customs. Typically speaking, they don't get too upset if you try to bring a few back. If they find them, they will be destroyed and that is typically the end of it. I seriously doubt the ATF has time to kick someones door in because they have a cuban or two. I have a buddy of mine that is a customs agent, he said if you try to bring in several boxes then you would have a problem. If you visit a country where they are legal, I would suggest going to cigar aficianado to find out the reputable cuban dealers so that you dont fall victim to counterfeit.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    letsgowithbob:
    Hey there is a cigar shop that sells legal cubans down in orlando right? I think a pre embargo cohiba goes for like 200-300 If I remember right!! Maybe someone can remember the name so we can send him over there.

I believe it's called Corona Cigar Company. Never been there but have seen a few discuss that place here.

I don't think ATF, Customs, FBI, CIA or PDQ are going to mobilize the troops unless you're truly smuggling appreciable quantities. I've brought back plenty from Bermuda, Jamaica and Mexico. ...umm, I mean I know a guy that did that. He's wild, a scofflaw i tell ya. Not me. No sir occiffer.

Of course the ones from Mexico were fake, so it really didn't matter! lol
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    From what little I know about Law Enforcement ;-), I think that the average Joe going to Mexico and smuggling back a box of ISOM Cohibas for his own use is not going to have ATF kicking down the door.

However, seeking out a shipment of even one stick that violates a trade embargo and having said stick shipped through U.S. Customs would definitely involve an effort by Federal Law Enforcement to arrest your dumba**. Not only is it an easy arrest, it is also a revenue generator for the Fed. The violator would not likely face any jail time, but the fines imposed would have his head spinning for years.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:

I don't think this is quite accurate. The way I read the law, it is illegal for any American citizen to possess a Cuban cigar no matter where in the world he might be. So, if it's legal for France, for example, to sell Cuban cigars and you're sitting at a lovely outdoor cafe in Paris smoking (or even possessing) a Cuban cigar, you're breaking American law - assuming you're an American citizen, that is.

But I'll point out something that I think was first pointed out to me by Krieg - why would a person bother with taking the risk for a Cuban cigar when there are literally thousands of non-Cubans out there that are as good or better and they're LEGAL!! IMHO, the only thing Cuban cigars have going for them is the "Forbidden Fruit" syndrome. It's human nature - if you can't have something then that's just what you want.

Marty

• Options
    michaelharveymichaelharvey Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Just throughing this out there....im curently in iraq and...well to get cubans is no big deal ive smoked quite a few.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    From what little I know about Law Enforcement ;-), I think that the average Joe going to Mexico and smuggling back a box of ISOM Cohibas for his own use is not going to have ATF kicking down the door.

And, in my earlier history of cigar-smoking, I personally walked back across the border at Algodones, Mexico back into Arizona with my shirt pocket stuffed full of purported Cubans and the customs agent doing the processing never even looked at them. There are two points to be made here; first - the vast majority of what you're told are Cuban cigars while you're in Mexico are bogus! And secondly, if they had been real Cubans, the customs man would have done something about it.

Marty

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    lilwing88:

And, in my earlier history of cigar-smoking, I personally walked back across the border at Algodones, Mexico back into Arizona with my shirt pocket stuffed full of purported Cubans and the customs agent doing the processing never even looked at them. There are two points to be made here; first - the vast majority of what you're told are Cuban cigars while you're in Mexico are bogus! And secondly, if they had been real Cubans, the customs man would have done something about it.

Marty

True. True. I've never done it, personally. But I know a few people who have "smuggled" REAL Cohibas and La Aromas. They had no problems and weren't even searched. Probably because it was just a few sticks. I'm sure a few boxes will catch any customs agent's eye.

I wouldn't condone any of it. And Like Krieg pointed out. It's not really worth it due to all the legal cigars out there that are better and more affordable.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    michaelharvey:
    Just throughing this out there....im curently in iraq and...well to get cubans is no big deal ive smoked quite a few.
    I was in Iraq a couple years ago. All the "cubans" there were fake. At least, the ones I saw. Oh, and they weren't humidified, lol. gross.
  • Options
    I was visiting a friend in Washington state a couple years ago and we made a day trip to Vancouver, BC. Crossing back into the USA we were asked if we had purchased anything in Canada, and my buddy says, "Well, we certainly didn't bring any Cuban cigars back with us and put them in the glove compartment." The border guy cracked up and told us to be on our way. Pretty funny at the time. (We only had four Cubans so I doubt we would have been in much trouble if we had been called on it).
  • Options
    In hindsight, we should have just sent him to the camacho pre embargos..lol...always forget about those