Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Survival Guns

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
My dad and I are planning to go on a wilderness trip and would like to try and live off the land so we are looking at survival guns. I have an AR-7 Henry and my dad is looking into a M6 springfield. Does anyone have any thoughts on the M6?

We will be in the Boundary waters of MN and will spend a lot of our time fishing and hunting but we will be bringing MRE's just incase.

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Can't comment on it myself, since I've only drooled over them, never owned, but if you go here: http://forums.1911forum.com/, the guys there can help out a lot more; plenty of survival types and gun collectors there who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    If I was to own only one gun and was expected to live from it I would look for a 2 in 1. .22/ .410, .223/20 gauge, or I even think they have a .270/12 gauge. My $.02. Thank god I get more than one!
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    My advise is the m6 ................... its a great shooter. But i'd look for something in the 30.06 ......you can get a wide array of ammo that you can buy ...... remington has a great assortment of ammo in the standard core lokt ammo ..... you can get all the way down to 55 grain accelerator for small game and some good ole 165 or 180 and you can take pretty much anything down .............. i have a savage 111f ultra lite ......... she's a shooter and 30.06 is such an all around dependable and durable round ........ i have a friend that has dropped a 800 pound moose in maine with a single shot at 105 yards ..... and taken a few black bears with the same gun as well ............ i just think for what you are looking to do it would be the perfect choice anything in an 06 that is
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    How important is size, weight to you? Those rifles will be lighter, but for game you could be taking with a .22 I'd personally go with a Ruger 10/22 in a rock solid, inexpensive, accurate .22. I'd stay away from an M6. They are cool looking, but the squeeze trigger is horrible, which really hurts accuracy.

If rapid shots are not a concern, the NEF Handi Rifle can be had in whatever format you want, and with multiple barrels for different purposes, if you want to go after larger game or birds (centerfire rifle or shotgun respectively)

Sounds like fun. I am jealous.
  • Options
    kingjk729:
    My advise is the m6 ................... its a great shooter and the nicest thing is the wide array of 30.06 ammo that you can buy ...... remington has a great assortment of ammo in the standard core lokt ammo ..... you can get all the way down to 55 grain accelerator for small game and some good ole 165 or 180 and you can take pretty much anything down .............. i have a savage 111f ultra lite ......... she's a shooter and 30.06 is such an all around dependable and durable round ........ i have a friend that has dropped a 800 pound moose in maine with a single shot at 105 yards ..... and taken a few black bears with the same gun as well ............ i just think for what you are looking to do it would be the perfect choice
    Uh, the M6 is a .22/.410 OU survival gun. I believe you are thinking M1A, which is .308, not 30.06 ;-)
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Yeah i realized that and fixed my post
  • Options
    One2gofst:
    How important is size, weight to you? Those rifles will be lighter, but for game you could be taking with a .22 I'd personally go with a Ruger 10/22 in a rock solid, inexpensive, accurate .22. I'd stay away from an M6. They are cool looking, but the squeeze trigger is horrible, which really hurts accuracy.

If rapid shots are not a concern, the NEF Handi Rifle can be had in whatever format you want, and with multiple barrels for different purposes, if you want to go after larger game or birds (centerfire rifle or shotgun respectively)

Sounds like fun. I am jealous.

Weight and size will be a pretty big deal because in the BWCA no motors are allowed so we need to pack everything in and out. Lakes are separated by long portages where we need to carry our canoe and packs to the next lake where we can start paddling again. I would like to have something I can fit in a backpack so something that easily tears down is a big plus.

My dad has a 10/22 but was planning on converting that to a .17 to make a superb target gun.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If weight is a concern, why not just go with a .45 and a few hollowpoints in addition to the rifles?
  • Options
    xmacro:
    If weight is a concern, why not just go with a .45 and a few hollowpoints in addition to the rifles?

We are primarily looking for small game so I'm not sure if a .45 would serve much purpose. We do have a .22 mag revolver that we could bring but range might be an issue.
  • Options
    Of the two I'd go for the AR-7, but make sure it works reliably and you can use the rifle effectively with the trigger before you use it.