Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor Shopping

I am looking for a new Humi in the $100-$150 range... I'd like for it to hold at LEAST 100 sticks and probably more along the lins of 150...
I know this was discussed before... a few of you have the Lucky 7, but I am looking for something in black to match my bar...
any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I have the Lucky 7 and I love it. Its a dark cherry but not close to black. Tone of room for anyone else looking for a standup humi.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I guess color isn't all THAT important...
    I am looking at the Palermo 150 count... Anyone have this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Palermo-Cigar-Glass-Drawer-Humidor/dp/B000H681MG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1266283242&sr=8-2
  • Options
    Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    I have a Savoy Madagascar humidor that I really like. They make a ebony version of the large and xtra large that should hold about 100+/- sticks and thats something that fits the criteria your looking for. I think the craftsmanship is great and they cost about $130-150 most places. Savoy is a (branch?) of Ashton, information here http://www.ashtoncigar.com/Savoy-Humidors_Main.jsp This is not a sales site, just ashton's site, so I hope its OK to post here.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Looks like a nice humidor!

So I recently purchased this humidor from "Gadget Bestbuy" on ebay. I was recommended by a couple guys here. Here's the humi: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280457525773

I wanted a humidor that was large and looked decent. One day when I can afford to do so, I'll buy a really nice humidor. My purpose was storage - it looks a whole lot nicer than a coolidor and isn't much more expensive.

So the humidor is as you would expect for a $70 humidor - nothing spectacular as far as overall quality, but it does look good and it seasoned well and is holding humidity very well so far. I've only had it a week, but with a pound of beads it is doing very well and is currently full of cigars. For me, it really allows me to organize my cigars much better due to the large size. Overall, I am happy with it. Also, the seller was excellent to work with. The sent me the humidor on time - it was damaged by UPS in the mail, they sent UPS to me to pick the damaged one up, and sent me a replacement immediately. I was very impressed with their service.
  • Options
    Oh, and I'm not sure you're aware, but a 150 count humidor does NOT hold 150 cigars these days. That count is based on corona sized cigars and I'm going to throw a wild guess out there that you don't have all corona sized cigars. It will likely hold 75-100.
  • Options
    Absolutely true. I think mine has about 90 max or so mixed sizes....and I have removed the shelf. I guess it wouldn't really fit his critera then. sorry, still a nice black humidor though.....
  • Options
    That's a nice looking humi... I know that a 150 humi holds far fewer... I have 2 50's which are maxed out at about 45 a piece... I might have to look into that Ashton...
  • Options
    Stryker you have a PM
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Oh, and I'm not sure you're aware, but a 150 count humidor does NOT hold 150 cigars these days. That count is based on corona sized cigars and I'm going to throw a wild guess out there that you don't have all corona sized cigars. It will likely hold 75-100.
    TatuajeVI - you ahve a PM as well...
  • Options
    Back at ya.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have the palermo 150. Funny, someone on another thread just mentioned this same humi and I responded. It's a decent humi. Doesn't hold 150, more like 100. Plus, you'll need some extra humidification than what it comes with. Chuck the disks and get some dishes for beads. I keep two small dishes full of beads on each tray/drawer and stagger them left to right from top to bottom just to ensure even distribution of humidification. It doesn't hold humidity as well as top sealing humis but it does the trick and looks really nice.
  • Options
    PM'd back
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Looks like a nice humidor!

So I recently purchased this humidor from "Gadget Bestbuy" on ebay. I was recommended by a couple guys here. Here's the humi: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280457525773

I wanted a humidor that was large and looked decent. One day when I can afford to do so, I'll buy a really nice humidor. My purpose was storage - it looks a whole lot nicer than a coolidor and isn't much more expensive.

So the humidor is as you would expect for a $70 humidor - nothing spectacular as far as overall quality, but it does look good and it seasoned well and is holding humidity very well so far. I've only had it a week, but with a pound of beads it is doing very well and is currently full of cigars. For me, it really allows me to organize my cigars much better due to the large size. Overall, I am happy with it. Also, the seller was excellent to work with. The sent me the humidor on time - it was damaged by UPS in the mail, they sent UPS to me to pick the damaged one up, and sent me a replacement immediately. I was very impressed with their service.
    I have had this humidor for about 8-9 months. Currently, I have 181 cigars in it, including boxes. It isn't going to win any beauty awards, but it does look better than a coolidor. Seal is fine, mine is holding steady around 66%.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I bought the Chelsea glasstop from Tampa Humidor and it works perfectly. Holds steady 67% with about 90 sticks in it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Alex Williams:
    I emailed the seller on this one. The top drawer doesn't open and the bottom two are for not for cigar storage. The cigars go from the top. I believe it has 2 trays... I like the drawer idea too, which is why I was looking at the Palermo...
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I have the palermo 150. Funny, someone on another thread just mentioned this same humi and I responded. It's a decent humi. Doesn't hold 150, more like 100. Plus, you'll need some extra humidification than what it comes with. Chuck the disks and get some dishes for beads. I keep two small dishes full of beads on each tray/drawer and stagger them left to right from top to bottom just to ensure even distribution of humidification. It doesn't hold humidity as well as top sealing humis but it does the trick and looks really nice.
    from one Rob to another... I was curious about the seal of the drawers...this one is still at the top of my list, basically for the drawers and the look...
  • Options
    robbyras:
    Alex Williams:
    I emailed the seller on this one. The top drawer doesn't open and the bottom two are for not for cigar storage. The cigars go from the top. I believe it has 2 trays... I like the drawer idea too, which is why I was looking at the Palermo...
    thats the stupidest damn thing i ever heard of!! im leanin towards the palermo now too.
  • Options
    Alex Williams:
    robbyras:
    Alex Williams:
    thats the stupidest damn thing i ever heard of!! im leanin towards the palermo now too.
    Yeah... i agree
    there is one that looks basically the same as that one, but the drawers are split so the bottom drawer is 2... in the description it says the drawers are faux... this si what prompted my email to the ebay folks... i would have been none too pleased had I ordered it
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Tat and Kreig - What kind of capacity are you getting out of that "400 count" I've been eyeballing it for sometime now. I have a budget of $350 dollars, but I could always buy that one and then put more money into smokes! What do you guys think of it?
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    from one Rob to another... I was curious about the seal of the drawers...this one is still at the top of my list, basically for the drawers and the look...

Like I said, it's a solid humi and I love the look of it. It'd look nice on a coffee table or end table where (only trusted) friends could admire and maybe paw through (with your permission of course) your stash. I actually bought it initially to keep my every day smokes and box purchases - mostly stuff I'd be willing to share. However, it's turned into more of a "stuff I haven't tried yet and some stuff I'd share" humidor. I think I paid $90 with shipping and have to say I don't regret it at all. Well worth the money, even if it does require a tad more attention than my other humis.

I'll send you a pm with some info on it.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    robbyras:

Like I said, it's a solid humi and I love the look of it. It'd look nice on a coffee table or end table where (only trusted) friends could admire and maybe paw through (with your permission of course) your stash. I actually bought it initially to keep my every day smokes and box purchases - mostly stuff I'd be willing to share. However, it's turned into more of a "stuff I haven't tried yet and some stuff I'd share" humidor. I think I paid $90 with shipping and have to say I don't regret it at all. Well worth the money, even if it does require a tad more attention than my other humis.

I'll send you a pm with some info on it.
    hey rob you mind if i get that pm as well? my small tax return is goin to a new humi and some good sticks!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ScottU:
    Tat and Kreig - What kind of capacity are you getting out of that "400 count" I've been eyeballing it for sometime now. I have a budget of $350 dollars, but I could always buy that one and then put more money into smokes! What do you guys think of it?
    For $350, you could easily talk to Waxing Moon and get a custom humi from him, built to your specifications
  • Options
    xmacro:
    ScottU:
    For $350, you could easily talk to Waxing Moon and get a custom humi from him, built to your specifications
    if i had that much to spend on it, i would DEFINATELY go to moon. his work is astounding and very very beautiful
  • Options
    Alex Williams:
    xmacro:
    ScottU:
    if i had that much to spend on it, i would DEFINATELY go to moon. his work is astounding and very very beautiful
    Yes... the Moon is the place to be... Just not sure I can get away with spending 3 bills on a humi... even though, oddly, the new Humi was the Fiance's idea... she wants me to get more smokes for the wedding and I need a place to store them... and to think I almost said "I don't think we need more smokes for the wedding"
  • Options
    Just in case anyone's interested: http://www.waxingmoonwood.com/home

• Options
    xmacro:
    Just in case anyone's interested: http://www.waxingmoonwood.com/home

Well boys... I am out of the market... I struck a deal with none other than WaxingMoon himself... If you are looking for a beautiful humi, give him a shout... He really worked to meet my needs AND budget... I splurged a little, but hey, that's what tax returns are for, right?
  • Options
    Yup; after a few conversations with him, my budgetary and cigar needs were met too. Great guy, very willing to work with anyone to get the price within their budgetary range and still have a beautiful humi. You better post pics when you get it!!