Home General Discussion
Options

Torpedos...

So I've been smoking some of my torps lately and each time I find i enjoy it less.
The tapered end feels awkward to draw on.
Am I doing something wrong? I'm still fresh at this.

Comments

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have a blunt end you can draw on.......
    i actually like a torp better for most sticks but that's just me
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I kind of agree but I don't enjoy them so much less that I will stop smoking them
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like torpedos the most. I just like the construction and the way the feel in my mouth. I tend to bite/chew the end of my cigars though so the torpedo end seems to handle that better.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Torps were my favorite when I first started smoking and it seems like most of the "good" sticks i am resting are torps... the main thing I DON'T like is that I can't use a punch on them... i LOVE the punch... i don't trust myself with the guillotine...
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    Torps were my favorite when I first started smoking and it seems like most of the "good" sticks i am resting are torps... the main thing I DON'T like is that I can't use a punch on them... i LOVE the punch... i don't trust myself with the guillotine...
    That is my only thing I do not like about torps also. I love using a punch. With a punch the wrapper never comes loose and I do not get bits of tobacco in my mouth.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I don't know if I am doing it the correct way or not, but I always cut down to about the same size that I would cut down to with a robusto, or a churchill. Is this the wrong way to do it?
  • Options
    I like torpedos. I think its a matter of prefference were you cut it as long as the draw isnt tight. I just snip till the draw feels right.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never really had a preference. As long as the taste is the same the vitola doesn't matter to me.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    I've never really had a preference. As long as the taste is the same the vitola doesn't matter to me.
    interesting thought.

the vitola does impact the taste to some extent. the question is:
    would a torp with a 50 ring taste the same a a toro with a 50 ring?

does the taper on the foot change the flavor?

time to do some heavy testing.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    For me, it all depends on the stick. There are a few that the torp seems to be the best vitola. For the most part, I prefer a robusto though.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Matt where the heck ya been dude?
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    I check in every once in awhile, but I haven't been posting. Life has picked up quite a bit lately with work and such.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Matt Marvel:
    stephen_hannibal:
    I check in every once in awhile, but I haven't been posting. Life has picked up quite a bit lately with work and such.

Dude that's a good thing right? Well anywho welcome back to the fold for however long ya stay.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Matt Marvel:
    stephen_hannibal:

Dude that's a good thing right? Well anywho welcome back to the fold for however long ya stay.
    Thanks man. The weather is picking up, and I'll be smoking a lot more, so I'll probably hang out around here more often. And yeah, it's definitely a good thing. More money means more smokes!!
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I used to really like torps but I now find myself shying away from them for some reason.
  • Options
    It takes a better roller to make torps, so I find you have less construction problems.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    In general, I think most torpedoes are made with too big a ring gauge. Maybe a big ring gauge is part of the definition of a torpedo -- I've never been able to get the formal size numbers to stay in my head -- but ISTM most would benefit from being a bit trimmer.

About the only cigar I can think of that I find is clearly best in its torpedo version is the 5 Vegas Classic.
  • Options
    urbino:
    In general, I think most torpedoes are made with too big a ring gauge.
    YES! i agree. the trend in the last 5-10 years has been to the larger rings. my personal trend is to the smaller rings.
    urbino:
    Maybe a big ring gauge is part of the definition of a torpedo
    maybe.... belicoso may be the small ring, shorter version of this. check that out.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    In general, I think most torpedoes are made with too big a ring gauge.
    YES! i agree. the trend in the last 5-10 years has been to the larger rings. my personal trend is to the smaller rings.
    Me, too. That RP Double Maduro lancero was revelation for me, what, about this time last year, I guess.
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    maybe.... belicoso may be the small ring, shorter version of this. check that out.
    Yeah, I wondered about that. I do like belicosos. But it still seems like there ought to be room in there somewhere for something belicoso in diameter, but torpedo in length.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    clearlysuspect:
    interesting thought.

the vitola does impact the taste to some extent. the question is:
    would a torp with a 50 ring taste the same a a toro with a 50 ring?

does the taper on the foot change the flavor?

time to do some heavy testing.
    I do understand the vitola impacts the taste. You were the one who taught me that. I suppose I should have said, "As long as I enjoy the taste the same then the vitola doesn't matter to me." I really don't think there is a difference in taste from a 50 ring Toro to a 50 ring Torpedo. I know the Padilla Habano didn't vary between them and I have never noticed a difference between the MoW Toro and Torpedo either, even given the slightly different ring gauge.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Urbs you were the first one to lead me towards a lancero and now if I can get one they are my preference. Coronas are a close second, I tend to shy away from anything larger than a 50 ring gauge now.

Back on topic though. I tend to not like torpedos because they channel the smoke into a smaller opening which IME leads to nicotine and tar build up. Nothing ruins a good cigar like tasting tar.
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    I used to really like torps as well but now i tend to stick with robusto sized sticks -- i tried a lancero one time but it had an extremely tight draw and did not enjoy it -- it was a joya de nicaragua antano and i felt like i was going to suck my teeth out to get any smoke out
  • Options
    Yeah, that's always off-putting, shamrocked. Give another one a try, sometime, though.

Part of the reason I like the smaller ring gauges, Maddy and Kuz, is purely practical. They're just more comfortable to smoke. Plus, when I'm smoking during the day and it's hard to see whether I've gotten a good, even light, the smaller the lighting area, the better. Of course, a figurado has that advantage, too.

But, anyway, yeah, torpedoes. The Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ is damn tasty in the torpedo vitola.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    There are some cigars I prefer in a torpedo, one would be the Padilla Signature 1932, I've had several other vitolas and none compare in terms of robustness of flavor and overall complexity. On the whole though, I don't prefer torpedos and would take just about any variety of parejo first. I'm one of those people who likes to try every size and see which one fits, this has led me to prefer robustos for some, lanceros for others, churchills, toros, coronas...you name the size, chances are I prefer it is one cigar or another.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I used to only smoke torpedos. Let me rephrase that, I used to only purchase torpedos. If someone gave my a rubusto, I'd suck it down. Now I treat them like every other size. . . what kind of mood am I in?
  • Options
    urbino:
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    Yeah, I wondered about that. I do like belicosos. But it still seems like there ought to be room in there somewhere for something belicoso in diameter, but torpedo in length.
    i know that OpusX petit lancero has a torpedo end to it. at 6.2 x 39 it may be what you are looking for.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    madurofan:
    Urbs you were the first one to lead me towards a lancero and now if I can get one they are my preference. Coronas are a close second, I tend to shy away from anything larger than a 50 ring gauge now.

Back on topic though. I tend to not like torpedos because they channel the smoke into a smaller opening which IME leads to nicotine and tar build up. Nothing ruins a good cigar like tasting tar.
    I actually had this happen with an Opus X torpedo and it did ruin the taste for me, for about 5 min. I luckily was able to recover and smoke the rest w/o any problems.
  • Options
    Thanks, kuz. I think I may actually have one of those, courtesy of somebody around here.