Home General Discussion
Options

Body

What does that mean, when they say medium to full body? I think I remember reading somewhere that it's how heavy the smoke is on your pallet, and has nothing to do with taste. is this true?

Comments

• Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Rolow:
    What does that mean, when they say medium to full body? I think I remember reading somewhere that it's how heavy the smoke is on your pallet, and has nothing to do with taste. is this true?

There really isn't a wrong answer here, body is very subjective.. but most people describe body as the amount of strength in the cigar and what the strength of the flavors are. I'm sure a lot of people on the forum will put in their 2 cents as well.. hope I helped! :)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    illinoisgolf99:
    Rolow:
    There really isn't a wrong answer here, body is very subjective.. but most people describe body as the amount of strength in the cigar and what the strength of the flavors are. I'm sure a lot of people on the forum will put in their 2 cents as well.. hope I helped! :)
    this is a great start to this.

taste is what you actually taste. body is what you feel.

it is very hard to describe what "body" is in a cigar.
    the best way i can describe it is to do a comparison.
    smoke an ashton classic double magnum (6x 50) after a light lunch. the next day after a light lunch smoke a La Flor Dominicana Double ligero Maduro 6 x 60
    now how you feel after each one?

THAT is the difference between body and flavor. (both are full flavored but the LFD is full bodied)
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lol well geez Kuzi...don't hurt the poor guy..

On a serious note, Kuzi summed it up. In my experience, body is the effect of the nicotine in your system - a full-bodied stick will give you a solid head-spin if you're not used to it, and could make you sick if you smoke on said light lunch (not recommended, imo).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Hays:
    Lol well geez Kuzi...don't hurt the poor guy...
    Yeah, really. LFD double Ligero after a light lunch would have me in bed the rest of the day! I had one last week and was really glad I had a large dinner beforehand.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    lOVE THE HEAD SPIN :)
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Kudos to Kuzi...you are always SPOT ON...bro.
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    This whole time I thought saying medium to full body was just a nice way to tell someone they are fat...geeze...
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    All of the above are correct. Weight of smoke, strength, and nicotine level. As you go up a plant to the higher primings you get more nicotine in the leaf and you also get more flavor and more strength. This is why many folks tend to confuse body and flavor because they are often found together. For me, body is always something you feel and flavor is always something you taste.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Alex,

You have been alot more active on the forums lately! Thank you! Keep it up! We all appreciate your input and answers.

• Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Alex,

You have been alot more active on the forums lately! Thank you! Keep it up! We all appreciate your input and answers.

+1
  • Options
    RolowRolow Posts: 3
    Well I don't inhale my cigars. So I don't care about nicotine. I do however prefer the heavier smoke on my pallet though. Thank you all for your responses. HAPPY SMOKING!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rolow:
    Well I don't inhale my cigars. So I don't care about nicotine. I do however prefer the heavier smoke on my pallet though. Thank you all for your responses. HAPPY SMOKING!
    even if you dont inhale (and you are not supposed to) nicotine does get in your system through your cheeks and gums. its a very small amount, but its there.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It also gets into your saliva - every time you swallow your spit while smoking, you're taking in nicotine. Try it - smoke a cigar and spit every other draw; then smoke a cigar and swallow every other draw. You'll notice the difference very quickly
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I've also noticed that retrohaling (exhaling smoke through the nose without first inhaling it) seems to help bring out the body in a cigar as well. I've caught myself on a few "mild" cigars retrohaling very frequenty and could definitely feel the impact more than on standard puffs.
  • Options
    RolowRolow Posts: 3
    Thank you for your input. I just bought a, Drew Estate:  La Vieja Habana,  from  one of the local smoke shops, can't wait to smoke it, but it's too windy right now, so I have to wait another day.  I hope it's good!