Home General Discussion
Options

What (Expensive) Cigars should I try.

KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
My Birthday was this week. My family is great! They want to get me things I like but, they know I don't like them picking out cigars for me (I inevitably get,.... well.... y'know). This year, they gave me $$$ for sticks. The only condition is that I get something I wouldn't normally get myself i.e. really (unusally) expensive cigars.... I need all your expertise in helping me decide what cigars I should try. I have approx. $100.00 to spend on some super premums. I'm thinking singles (in case that wasn't clear). This is an opportunity for me to broaden my horizons a little. I realize that I very well may like some of my current smokes better than some of these; dare I say, "Overpriced" cigars. But, part of me just wants to at least try an Opus X and some of the others. I just have no experiance with buying these types of sticks. The other questions I have is, whats the deal w/ "Coffins"? Why would I want one? Opus X? GOF? Ashton? Padron? , etc.?, etc.?, etc.? Thanks in advance for all the help. I can't wait to go shopping!!! (Oh my God! I just sounded like my wife!)

Comments

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Fuente Anejo and Opus X are both always good. A lot of peeps like the Padron 45.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I agree with those, the anejo is definitely something I'd like to try as well... God of Fire is something I've heard pretty good things about. Also the Graycliff Double Espresso sounds interesting..
  • Options
    Please recommend what vitola is generally best as well. Thanks again guys.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Opus X. Can't recommend a specific vitola but a lot of people love the Power Ranger. Also, the Anejo. I love the Torpedo #55 but a lot of people love the #77 Shark. Also, a Padron 1964 and 1926 are good choices. Fuente God of Fire Carlito and Don Carlos are good ones to try too. If you can get your hands on a Don Carlos 30th Anniv. Also, don't forget about the Ashton ESG. I'm not a fan but a lot of people like this cigar. There are only three sizes out now with a 4th coming out this year. There are more but these are at the top of my list. OH, if you can get a Hemingway Maduro in either Signature or Classic those are good too.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cohiba; God of Fire; Opux X; Davidoff; Monte Cristo and an Ashton VSG would be my picks.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    lets see here....

OpusX does well in the Perfecxion No. 4. generally speaking i think they do well in the smaller rings. but thats just me.

La Aurora Sumatra (emerald tube) is great.

La Flor Dominicana Mysterio Maduro

Davidoff Millennium Series in the lonsdale vitola

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    God Of Fire by Carlito, MMMMmmm

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero

Camacho Triple Ligero. Can't go wrong with any of them.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    All suggestions above are great, I would also add the 100 Anos lancero if you can find one. They are fantastic cigars. Also the El Triunfador lancero from Pete Johnson of Tatuaje is a great cigar too.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    How expensive is "expensive," KCW? I mean, things like the Ashton VSG, Padron 1964 or 1926, and Fuente Don Carlos are terrific expensive cigars. So are several of the others that have already been mentioned. But then there's expensive. That'd be special editions like the Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario, Perdomo Edicion de Silvio, and things like the OpusX, GoF, or most any Davidoff.

I know of no advantage to a coffin.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:

protection.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Davidoffs are the epitomy of expensive. If you like a medium bodied smoke with a heavy leathery flavor they are THE way to go. I don't enjoy that leathery flavor as much although its been more appealing to me than it used to be. The Winston Churchill is made by Davidoff and IMHO is an excellent smoke. It has everything that makes Davidoff great but doesn't have that heavy leather. If you prefer a fuller body look up the Tatuje Cojonu series. The 2003 is my favorite but the 06 is pretty tasty as well its just a torpedo. I haven't had the 09 yet but I understand its great.
  • Options
    urbino:
    How expensive is "expensive," KCW? I mean, things like the Ashton VSG, Padron 1964 or 1926, and Fuente Don Carlos are terrific expensive cigars. So are several of the others that have already been mentioned. But then there's expensive. That'd be special editions like the Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario, Perdomo Edicion de Silvio, and things like the OpusX, GoF, or most any Davidoff.

I guess I would say $30.00 and above I would consider expensive for a single cigar. Guys these are great. Maduro. Thank you. Thats exactly the type of input I'm looking for. I feel like a "Giddy Schoolgirl".
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Just reading the suggestions for that "expensive and special" smoke has my eyes open wide and my mouth watering...makes me want to rush out and fire one up...BTW, it just may be warm enuf today to do just that. But these are all good suggestions...lately for me, I have been leaning toward the Ashton VSG & ESG.... The ESG hard to find and expensive...God of Fire is a lovely and tasty stik , as are the OpusX. But if I had to narrow it down to one I think it would be the GOF...either the robusto or double robusto...
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    urbino:

protection.
    And keeps the worms out for a while. Oh.... never mind, that wasn't what you meant.
  • Options
    KCW:
    I guess I would say $30.00 and above I would consider expensive for a single cigar.
    Gotcha. In that case, I'd suggest the Don Carlos and Perdomo special editions I mentioned, or the La Aurora kuzi mentioned.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    urbino:
    KCW:
    I guess I would say $30.00 and above I would consider expensive for a single cigar.
    Gotcha. In that case, I'd suggest the Don Carlos and Perdomo special editions I mentioned, or the La Aurora kuzi mentioned.
    I would add the GoF. My particular favorite is the Don Carlos Robusto but try both blends and decide for yourself. I actually have all the sizes and blends up till last year. Want to get a box of the Don Carlos Toro this year.
  • Options
    This is Fantastic! Thank you Gentleman (and Ladies if there are any here). Keep 'em comin if you got 'em. This will take me a little bit of time to get my final list together.
  • Options
    You know, I've still never smoked any of the super-premium Fuentes -- OpusX, GoF, Anejo. I've had a few of each for a year or more, courtesy of trades and bombs (and I've bought a few OpusX's, myself), but still haven't smoked one. Not sure why. It's kind of a gaping hole in my cigar experience.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    KCW:
    I would add the GoF. My particular favorite is the Don Carlos Robusto but try both blends and decide for yourself. I actually have all the sizes and blends up till last year. Want to get a box of the Don Carlos Toro this year.
    2nd on that~!!! GOF's are good. Also Ashton VSG's are good too, though not 30 bucks but still.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Also Ashton VSG's are good too, though not 30 bucks but still.
    That just means you can buy more of them to love, right?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Did I miss something, or did nobody mention the HMR? :)
  • Options
    Heh. I think you missed, " I have approx. $100.00 to spend on some super premums."
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That's never stopped anyone from pitching the HMR before. :)

100 bucks huh? Too bad, I was going to suggest the Cohiba Siglo VI Gran Reserva but that comes in at around $110-$120 per cigar. How sweet it would be to have bought a box of those to sit on for a year and then resell.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    In this order:

Arturo Fuente Edicion de Anniversario. - Amazing cigar. Same blend as Opus but with a lower priming wrapper which I think adds a more refined taste, plus you dont get the burn issues that plague the opusx. Very rare, very pricey but an excellent treat for the right occasion. We stock them online in all sizes but call in and we might be able to make you a better price.

Davidoff Millenium - Guys who like dark sumatra ecuador swear by this blend as do I. If you are buying something now to smoke right away, I might pass on this one, but if you are up for aging it for a year or two, this cigar is the ultimate.

Camacho Pre-Embargo - In fairness only a portion of the filler is the pre embargo cuban stuff, but you should buy the blend for a multitude of other reasons. Camacho is world renowned for their corojo wrapper. The wrapper on the Pre Embargo is made with their very first corojo crop grown back in 1998 which was also one of their best crop years and gave them their notoriety going into the late 90's. The wrapper blends perfectly with 5 year old corojo and criollo fillers grown in Jamastran that balance with the pre embargo filler. Very well rounded smoke and the 12 year old wrapper really makes the cigar IMHO.

Gurkha HMR - Hey if you want to tell your friends you smoked the worlds most expensive cigar, this is it.
  • Options
    urbino:
    You know, I've still never smoked any of the super-premium Fuentes -- OpusX, GoF, Anejo. I've had a few of each for a year or more, courtesy of trades and bombs (and I've bought a few OpusX's, myself), but still haven't smoked one. Not sure why. It's kind of a gaping hole in my cigar experience.
    Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ditto (except the "I've had a few of each for a year or more" part)
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    In this order:

Arturo Fuente Edicion de Anniversario. - Amazing cigar. Same blend as Opus but with a lower priming wrapper which I think adds a more refined taste, plus you dont get the burn issues that plague the opusx. Very rare, very pricey but an excellent treat for the right occasion. We stock them online in all sizes but call in and we might be able to make you a better price.

Davidoff Millenium - Guys who like dark sumatra ecuador swear by this blend as do I. If you are buying something now to smoke right away, I might pass on this one, but if you are up for aging it for a year or two, this cigar is the ultimate.

Camacho Pre-Embargo - In fairness only a portion of the filler is the pre embargo cuban stuff, but you should buy the blend for a multitude of other reasons. Camacho is world renowned for their corojo wrapper. The wrapper on the Pre Embargo is made with their very first corojo crop grown back in 1998 which was also one of their best crop years and gave them their notoriety going into the late 90's. The wrapper blends perfectly with 5 year old corojo and criollo fillers grown in Jamastran that balance with the pre embargo filler. Very well rounded smoke and the 12 year old wrapper really makes the cigar IMHO.

Gurkha HMR - Hey if you want to tell your friends you smoked the worlds most expensive cigar, this is it.
    I am bowing repeatedly right now. Thank you Alex. I will call. BTW. I am up for aging. Looking like it might cost a bit more tha n $100.00 for the singles I think I want to purchase though. These will be special.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Alex Svenson:
    In this order:

I thought that title belonged to the original Gurkha Black Dragon?
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭

I really liked the Camacho PE and Partagas Decada churchill
  • Options
    KCW:
    Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ditto (except the "I've had a few of each for a year or more" part)
    Get in on some of the trades and passes, and, before long, I bet you find yourself in possession of some.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I just bought 3 padron 1926 #1's and 5 Ashton ESG robustos. none were over 30 a stick, but they were'nt cheap either.. GOF's are good too. Gurkha Titans are right at 30, but over-priced imho...