Home General Discussion
Options

Well, there went the cigar fund...

I'm engaged to my girlfriend of 7 years!!

Last Friday was our 7 year anniversary so I surprised her with a trip to NYC (which we have done twice in the past). Within two hours of being in the city I couldn't wait any longer, because of that ring burning a whole in my pocket, and I asked her if she would marry me. Over the tears and constant hugging she did say yes. I meant to post this earlier to let you guys know but work has been keeping me busy and tired. After 7 years we are probably at our best together. With most other things in my life being a little unsure, it is great to have her to keep me grounded. I'm sure you happily married guys will agree.

So I just thought I would let my fellow BOTL's know since everyone here as always been nothing but kind. I still have no idea when we will be married, but I couldn't hold off any longer!! It's a good thing I am already loaded up on cigars because I don't think I'll be buying any anytime soon....haha.

Here is a picture of us at one of her formals back in college

And this is from my brothers wedding

Comments

• Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the engagement .......... its always nice to propose somewhere exiciting .... i know when i asked for my wifes hand it was in sonoma valley at Kendall Jackson vineyards in there beautiful gardens they have at this amazing chateau ............ and we live in buffalo NY .......... Congrats Brother
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Congrats! We've been married for 4 years and it gets better everyday!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    congrats to you.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Congrats brother. Smoke something great! I'll smoke something for you tonight!
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    congrats man. where in NYC did you ask her? (i used to live there)
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Congrats.! Married my High School Sweetheart. 20 years now. (Holy Crap!)
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome brother! Congratulations! I was already planning a fine cigar tonight, but I'll smoke it in your honor!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    congrats Big Moose...looks like you picked a winner. Enjoy your celebratory smoke!
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    Congrats Hugemoose

I will be heading down the same road again soon.

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats and great pic! Best wishes for you both.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Congrats man! I, too, will be smoking a cigar in your honor tonight brother!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Good on you HugeMoose ! Congratulations to both of you.

I have been married to the same beautiful girl for 25 years in May. We lived together for 5 years prior to marrying as well. Good to know who you are with before you get married. Hope ther's many happy years together for you brother.

I just spent my 2000th post for this occassion too HugeMoose, which i will follow up today with a special stick for the two of you.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    congratulations, thats awesome. I have been married for 6 years, and every day is better than the next
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! My wife and I will be married for 10 years in Dec, and it has been great. If you remember that marriage isn't 50/50, but 100/100, you will be ok.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Congrats! My wife and I have number 9 coming up this St. Patrick's day. We were together 7 years before we tied the knot as well. I'll fire one up in your honor tonight.

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Congratulations, Moose.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Congrats man!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations there Moose, ( after seeing your picture you don't look as big as I expected ) Best wishes to you both.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Congrats!!!
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    kaspera79:
    Congratulations there Moose, ( after seeing your picture you don't look as big as I expected ) Best wishes to you both.
    Hahaha....that made me laugh out loud! Moose was a nickname I had since my birth since I weighed a lot and my head was so large I did a little damage on the way out.

NYHC, I actually proposed to her in the Central Park Zoo. She works at the Philly Zoo and animals are such a large part of her life I thought it was fitting. And it was in front of the penguins which mate for life ;-)

Thanks for the best wishes everybody. I am really excited about it! I still can't quite figure out why she loves me....but I won't argue!! I really haven't pulled out a great stick for this but I guess I will tonight!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Well, I'll be the first to say it... It's not too late - get out now while you can!!! One vag for the rest of your life - way to work it through!

j/k. Been married about two years now to a wonderful girl, and we've got a baby girl on the way this spring. Congrats to the two of you! Smoke something wonderful!
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Well, I'll be the first to say it... It's not too late - get out now while you can!!! One vag for the rest of your life - way to work it through!

j/k. Been married about two years now to a wonderful girl, and we've got a baby girl on the way this spring. Congrats to the two of you! Smoke something wonderful!
    Haha nice. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about that. And last night I did enjoy a MX2 that Alien gifted to me. Near perfect in my book. It was just what I looking for!!! Oh, and the cigar was good too.....
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    Congrates Hugemoose!
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Congrats dude!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Hugemoose:
    kaspera79:
    Hahaha....that made me laugh out loud! Moose was a nickname I had since my birth since I weighed a lot and my head was so large I did a little damage on the way out.

NYHC, I actually proposed to her in the Central Park Zoo. She works at the Philly Zoo and animals are such a large part of her life I thought it was fitting. And it was in front of the penguins which mate for life ;-)

Thanks for the best wishes everybody. I am really excited about it! I still can't quite figure out why she loves me....but I won't argue!! I really haven't pulled out a great stick for this but I guess I will tonight!
    Uh oh, this thing is jinxed...Don't you see the problem of someone in Philadelphia being proposed to in front of Penguins???
  • Options
    congrats buddy. may you and your soon to be wifey have a happy life together.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Always good to hear about someone getting married, congrats!

Check your pm's.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Good for you guys ! Congrats !
  • Options
    Luko:
    Hugemoose:
    kaspera79:

Uh oh, this thing is jinxed...Don't you see the problem of someone in Philadelphia being proposed to in front of Penguins???
    Haha oops. Good thing we aren't big sports fans! We were always the band geeks/choir kids so sports doesn't really run in our blood.

And thanks for all the kind words guys. I wish we could get married tomorrow, but I know it will be a while off. We are both still trying to get on our feet career wise but I simply couldn't wait any longer! The other underlying purpose to asking know was to make my grandfather happy. It is his greatest joy to see his family happy. Of course I want to marry her, but having real proof of that just really makes my grandfather ecstatic. And knowing that he may not be around for much longer I always wanted him to know that I'll follow in his foot steps.

The day I told him we were engaged he said to me, "When you find that one girl that makes you happy you hang on to her and never leave her side. Because, when she's not there you are going to wish she was. I know because I had that one and I miss her every day." He loved my grandmother faithfully for 59 years of marriage until she passed away. I simply hope I can be that kind of man later in life. And damn, does it feel good to have a wonderful woman beside you!
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I don't see why the cigar fund has to be decreased. Joint checking accounts man! split everything 50-50 is what marriage is all about! You bought her that giant stone, she can chip back in on a few hand-rolled stogies. Congrats!