Home Cigar 101
Options

Using The Nose....

2»

Comments

• Options
    For whatever reason, it simply doesn't work for me. I take a puff, close my mouth, blow out through my nose, and nothing but air goes out. The smoke just remains in my mouth until I blow it out through my mouth.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, it's always been about the nose, but I do the"French inhale" method, draw smoke into the mouth, closing the throat in the back by tongue,let it drift/ push it out by closing the mouth and inhale through the nose gently, just enough to fill the nasal cavities without getting it into the lungs. Tried the blowing from mouth out through nose last night with pretty much the same results as Dennis King, lots of burning. Ya'll might try this, it's the only way I pick up the bread, nuts, coffee etc that are touted in the write-ups.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    I find it very surprising that no one has suggested to the newbie "nose-exhalers" to try the closed-mouth, breath out tactic WITHOUT smoke in their mouth first yet... It would save them a lot of painful trial and error at the very least.
    To a large extent you're right, here's the one thing I can think of to explain it. You can't see air, thus it's hard to judge whether you're doing it right or just exhaling air through the nose.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I wish I could use my nose, right now. Stoopid cold.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I have been slowly working on pushing some smoke out the nose. For a total noob I found the take a short puff and close the yap and exhale, it is about the right amount getting pushed out my nose. If I get to much, I open said yap and blow out the rest. I Have not found a huge advantage on picking out flavor yet, but Im working on it.
  • Options
    well, tried the blowing out through the nose thing again, still burns. I still get the best result pushing the smoke out the mouth and sniffing (lightly, carefully) in through the nose, and I know you're on the right track, after all, we learned in Anatomy & Physiology that something like 80% of what we experience as taste, is really about the smell. Still, just like the question "what's the best cigar", the best method for smoking will ultimately be an individual choice.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    I have been using my nose for a while now and it never really hurt but I really haven't picked up any flavors from doing it. Any tips?
  • Options
    asolomonasolomon Posts: 128
    I've tried this lol but I'm always congested, it seems. Seems like that would cause problems?
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Alex Williams:
    I have been using my nose for a while now and it never really hurt but I really haven't picked up any flavors from doing it. Any tips?

I used to have the same problem. I think mostly I was concentrating on getting the smoke to come out my nose - not the flavors. Then I developed a "chewing" method for the smoke. Imagine taking a big bite out of a sandwich with a normal sized draw in your mouth. Chew (without swallowing) and let some of the smoke come out your mouth, the rest comes out the nose. I think this also triggers a Pavolovian type response where your taste receptors fire up.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    So I was smoking with a friend yesterday and I'm always telling him about interesting threads on here because he doesn't browse the forums himself, but we both starting smoke the same time (maybe 2 months ago) and I brought up this thread - we spent the whole cigar trying to figure out a good way to do this, and I think we got one!!!!

When you draw off the cigar - hold the smoke in your mouth, then bring your tongue to the back of your mouth as if you're shoveling the smoke back. You have to try to keep your tongue against the sides of your mouth though. You essentially just create a tiny vacuum that pushes the smoke to the back of your mouth so you can breath it out your nose - nothing even close to inhaling in the mix :-D

It works really really well for him and I - so I thought I'd share. Someone try it and let me know whatcha think!
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    GadwinDuil:
    So I was smoking with a friend yesterday and I'm always telling him about interesting threads on here because he doesn't browse the forums himself, but we both starting smoke the same time (maybe 2 months ago) and I brought up this thread - we spent the whole cigar trying to figure out a good way to do this, and I think we got one!!!!

When you draw off the cigar - hold the smoke in your mouth, then bring your tongue to the back of your mouth as if you're shoveling the smoke back. You have to try to keep your tongue against the sides of your mouth though. You essentially just create a tiny vacuum that pushes the smoke to the back of your mouth so you can breath it out your nose - nothing even close to inhaling in the mix :-D

It works really really well for him and I - so I thought I'd share. Someone try it and let me know whatcha think!
    That's pretty much what I do tho a few times I have inhaled a few times by accident.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    ljl:
    Alex Williams:

I used to have the same problem. I think mostly I was concentrating on getting the smoke to come out my nose - not the flavors. Then I developed a "chewing" method for the smoke. Imagine taking a big bite out of a sandwich with a normal sized draw in your mouth. Chew (without swallowing) and let some of the smoke come out your mouth, the rest comes out the nose. I think this also triggers a Pavolovian type response where your taste receptors fire up.
    The only thing I would add here would be to allow the smoke to come out the nose slowly. If you are just trying to blow it out your nose you most likely won't taste anything and the sensations in your sinuses won't feel very good either. I try to slowly exhale the smoke thru my nose and find that I can "taste" much more subtle flavors then when just using the mouth. Also, try to only let a little out at a time. After a while you will have built up to half or more of the smoke from the nose, and those flavors will be right there, you won't have to look for them.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    ljl:
    Alex Williams:

The only thing I would add here would be to allow the smoke to come out the nose slowly. If you are just trying to blow it out your nose you most likely won't taste anything and the sensations in your sinuses won't feel very good either. I try to slowly exhale the smoke thru my nose and find that I can "taste" much more subtle flavors then when just using the mouth. Also, try to only let a little out at a time. After a while you will have built up to half or more of the smoke from the nose, and those flavors will be right there, you won't have to look for them.
    One might say your know a little too much about pushing stuff through your nose... just saying.. =p
  • Options
    I guess I'm just never going to get this. All my attempts at having the smoke come OUT of my nose are less than satisfactory, guess I'll stick to using my nose to lift the flavors out of the smoke I exhale, which has worked very well for me. But, then, when I wake up and smell the coffee, I don't get a mouthful and blow it out my nose, I sniff it from the cup. Matter of personal taste, I suppose.

• Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    The reasoning behind blowing smoke through the nose is that it is much easier to blow without inhaling than it is to sniff inward without inhaling.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Amos Umwhat:
    I guess I'm just never going to get this. All my attempts at having the smoke come OUT of my nose are less than satisfactory, guess I'll stick to using my nose to lift the flavors out of the smoke I exhale, which has worked very well for me. But, then, when I wake up and smell the coffee, I don't get a mouthful and blow it out my nose, I sniff it from the cup. Matter of personal taste, I suppose.
    try practicing by drawing a breath thru your mouth, close your mouth and exhale that breath out of your nose. The exact same use of muscles and motions are used as when you are blowing smoke out of your nose.

You can try it for practice and then just introduce the cigar and continue with the same motions. There is NO trick or anything more difficult then in thru the mouth out thru the nose.
  • Options
    DHawkDHawk Posts: 45
    I found it worked pretty easy for me just taking a mouth full of smoke, blowing out my mouth and before it's all gone shut my mouth and start blowing out the nose.
  • Options
    bocardsbocards Posts: 32
    I have had trouble doing this also....sometimes I can do it fine, sometimes not. I have no explanation why...I was waiting on something on this in an article in the magazine as I dont get here as much as I would like....GOOD POST ! and thanks for the responses !