Home General Discussion
Options

Gurkha confusion

Is it just me or does anybody else have a hard time figuring out what type of gurkha their stick is from the band? Whenever I get a sampler with a Gurkha in it I have no idea what type it is, whether it be a regent or a legend.. anybody have any clue as to figure out which kind of gurkha the cigar is if the band gives no indication?

Comments

• Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Let us know what sampler you bought and we can fill you in. Or if you can show us a pic should be able the help you out.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I have the same issue but as my knowledge gets better I am able to get most of them by the band but not always, take for instance the legend has the same band as a few others and it is confusing as when I smoke one that I really like I have no idea which exact one it was since my humi has about every kind of Gurkha made in it
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    illinoisgolf99:
    Is it just me or does anybody else have a hard time figuring out what type of gurkha their stick is from the band? Whenever I get a sampler with a Gurkha in it I have no idea what type it is, whether it be a regent or a legend.. anybody have any clue as to figure out which kind of gurkha the cigar is if the band gives no indication?
    usually you can go online and find out. the bands almost always have the same picture but in different colors. thats a big help. i use cigar.com for a visual reference all the time.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    lol. I have the same problem with Gurkha and Camacho. Drives me f-ing crazy. But poking around online is a good way to figure it out. That, and smoking a lot of cigars and learning from staring at the band and repeating the blend while you're smoking it. :)
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have that problem but as I got more and more into Gurkha I started figuring it all out. I can tell by the band and/or size now on all of them. I used Ccom and other references to learn.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I've started to check ccom for the bands and its getting a bit easier, found a couple legends hiding in my humi!
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    illinoisgolf99:
    I've started to check ccom for the bands and its getting a bit easier, found a couple legends hiding in my humi!
    Careful. My "Beauty" had a Legend Band on it (w/a black band below it saying "Beauty")..
  • Options
    Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Especially when they came out with the new maduro "beauty". I thought the whole point was the beauty and the beast, conn and maduro respectively. What they hell was that? I sent an email to Gurka via there web site, but of course they didn't respond. I had posted about this a while ago. http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/52005.aspx As a follow up i smoked them side by side, and I swear its the same thing with different labels.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Save yourself some trouble and trade your gurkha's in for something better, like Swisher Sweets.
  • Options
    hahahah wasnt expecting that response... sounds like youve got some pretty stong feelings about gurkhas
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    With the exception of the Beast and the Turk, I can not say that I've had good experiences. Especially with the price point.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    Save yourself some trouble and trade your gurkha's in for something better, like Swisher Sweets.
    Hey beta,Try the new version of the Black Dragon- Dragon Fire. I got this one from Laker and it was a great find. He will have to give us the exact name so I can buy more, since the label is a little confusing. This maduro with a shaggy foot was a robusto, I had it today and it was fantastic. It will change your mind about Gurkha or I will personally refund the price you paid for it. I have never made that offer before, but that is how much I liked it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    It will change your mind about Gurkha or I will personally refund the price you paid for it.
    Ok Kas, I'll try the HMR, quit hammering me. Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    betasynn:
    With the exception of the Beast and the Turk, I can not say that I've had good experiences. Especially with the price point.
    Thats what I am Talking about, I have lbeen given 4 different ones and i have had three and they arent my faves and they are HIGH ... I have two HUGE Salamone Shaggys Resting...... praying..... i have an assasin resting ..... im praying......... LOL
  • Options
    Doing inventory and found I had 2 legends and a few regents.. there are two I'm not sure of though. They both have the same band, but one has a maduro wrapper and the other has I wanna say a cameroon one with one of those thin cedar linings to preserve the cigar on the foot.. the band has the gurkha guy with a redish orange background.. the gurkha letters are gold with the same red background.. any ideas? they're both 7 x 54 I believe, if that helps
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    arrrrrgh i keep tryin to posts pics of the bands but its not working!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    illinoisgolf99:
    Hmmm. Your markup looks fine. You must have the wrong url. Or you don't have the image publicly visible.
  • Options
    how do I make the image publicly visible? Im using photobucket if that makes a difference
  • Options
    imagePhotobucket " border="0" />
  • Options
    ah there we go!
  • Options
    I through in the fuente and padron to identify as well, no clue what they are
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The three on the right end look like Regents. The Padron looks like a standard Padron.