Home General Discussion
Options

fighting with my humidor

I have been struggling to keep my humi going. seasoned three times wipe down every wk and keeps drying out. even though my third hydrometer says its 67%, coolidor readings are simular but cigars look and feel much better. soft but not squishy. Humidor sticks are hard, bands are starting to get loose telling me I have an problem. just organized coolidor and humidor and placed humidor inside coolidor hoping it will see how life is suppose to be. Hoping for the best need to get my own design done this wk. Should hold 300 sticks.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    what is the humidification device?
    is the seal bad?
    did you calibrate all of your hygrometers? how do the "good" sticks burn?
    the cigars in my humidors are very firm but the bands are not loose.

wiping down the indise my actually be part of the problem. that much moisture that fast could warp the wood and ruin the seal. the slow way of seasoning the humidor is the best way.
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    This seems to be a universal winter time problem. Lots of posts here with the same descriptions. Here's what I do: 1) Fill humidor to no more than half capacity. I've got a 100 ct humi but I keep about 20 cigars in there during the winter. (don't smoke nearly as much in the winter months so that's not a problem). 2) Besides usual humidity maximizers, I drop in water pillows. The space I normally reserve for cigars, I keep the humipacks--got 10 in there right now! This is barely keeping the humidity at 60%, but I'll take it.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    checked calibration is fine box keeps drying out its a ccom burl 50ct its full with a hocky puck with gel inside from CI. shot of scotch. I cannot keep it humid inside hydromiter seems right but box must be cheep because i watch it dry out and cedar change colors (light wood not moist pink cedar as we all like to see) over a few wks. Good sticks burn well ones in humi are harsh! some of them wraps are showing signs of distress. I added a pillow and now its in coolidor with lots of pillows jell jars and shot glasses hope gars come back to life. lots of $ in there.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    cooch36:
    checked calibration is fine box keeps drying out its a ccom burl 50ct its full with a hocky puck with gel inside from CI. shot of scotch. I cannot keep it humid inside hydromiter seems right but box must be cheep because i watch it dry out and cedar change colors (light wood not moist pink cedar as we all like to see) over a few wks. Good sticks burn well ones in humi are harsh! some of them wraps are showing signs of distress. I added a pillow and now its in coolidor with lots of pillows jell jars and shot glasses hope gars come back to life. lots of $ in there.
    Put in as many pillows as you have and can fit into the humis.

Even a shallow container of diatilled water to slowly evaporate insside your humi if you need it.

Where is your humi? By a heat source,or a fan ? Find the most humid area of your house and keep the humi in there. Also, quit opening your humi to check the RH as every time you do... you are allowing that humid air to escape from the humi.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I put in so many pillows every mouse in my house will think they stayed at the holiday inn.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Buy a room humidifier it helps me out a ton.