Home General Discussion
Options

My theory on box-pressed cigars.......

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
I've tried quite a few vitolas, gauges and brands of box-pressed. In my experience, bp cigars of any brand, tend to have a very loose draw. Anybody agree? Disagree?

The only explanation I can think of for this is that the fillers spread out and no matter how tightly packed the cigar is, you'll always have a loose draw. Is this the intention of bp cigars? Just from a purely physics based theory, I don't think a tight draw is possible with a bp.

After trying a few different bps, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a fan based on the draw issues. if anybody has had a bp with a tight draw, let me know so I can give it a try.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• Options

I actually really enjoy BP cigars.  I have actutlly found more tight draws on BP than loose draws myself.  Perhaps its the way we store them?  I usually have my box pressed on a tray near the top of my humi nearest the humidifier.  This might be causing mine to become too moist. 

I always have even burns on BP.

Just my .02

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I've had some 5 Vegas in the "55" BP vitola and they've all had firm draws. The Series A was pretty good in that size.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am not a fan of BP, I find them too loose as well.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I think they put less filler in to allow for the box press. Too much and it won't press into a smokable cigar.
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I have to agree while I have had a few box press that I liked they were loose. But I think the only reason that I liked them is they were a stick that I already knew I enjoyed so the flavors were still there but it had burn issues and draw issues.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've had some that were loose, and some that were tight. (Are we still talking about cigars?) But I have noticed if you get a similar size cigar in BP and in a round version, it is surprising how much difference there is in flavors. The bp smokes bring out more of the subtle flavors. It's more evident in some cigars than others.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I generally like BPs and have had varying draws from BP cigars. However, I have rarely had a BP that was so tight it takes away from the enjoyment, so that is a positive in my book.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Interesting, lil. I'm trying to remember my own experiences. As best I can recall, the only BP I've had that's consistently too loose is the 5 Vegas Classic 55. The other BPs I've smoked a lot of (that I can remember off the top of my head) would be Padrons, Sancho Panzas, and the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, all of which have had consistently good draws.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked many a BP stick, and as far as draw and burn goes, I love em. I can't recall a single BP stick that had what I would call a loose draw though - always found it firm and enjoyable. The feel of it, though, (box-pressed shape) kinda turns me off. All phallic references aside, I much more prefer a round vitola.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Hm, the only BP that I can think of that was tight was the Cask Strength II. Most of the ones I've had are a bit loose. I like box pressed sticks though.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the way box press cigars look. This is the only reason I don't smoke them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    I don't like the way box press cigars look.
    I don't like the way they feel...it's that whole square peg, round hole scenario.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    clearlysuspect:
    I don't like the way they feel...it's that whole square peg, round hole scenario.
    That too.
  • Options
    Fussypantses.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Box pressed cigars are rolled with 5% to 10% less filler, this ensures they will draw after being pressed. Interesting bit of cigar history, the first cigar Fuente made box pressed was the ashton vsg. Ashton requested it and they made the first 100,000 cigars in c. 1998. They made them like they would any other cigars but after putting them through thepress, immediately found that they would not draw and would need to use less filler. Not wanting to waste 100,000 cigars, ashton still bought them and sold them in the round shape. Today these cigars are highly sought after and called "Ashton VSG Rounds" You can still find them from time to time. We had some in the aging room last year.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    LowSpark:

I actually really enjoy BP cigars.  I have actutlly found more tight draws on BP than loose draws myself.  Perhaps its the way we store them?  I usually have my box pressed on a tray near the top of my humi nearest the humidifier.  This might be causing mine to become too moist. 

Just my .02

Ditto, most of the BP I have had are tighter than normal - Urby & Lassy, go nuts with this one.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    clearlysuspect:
    .. I, on the other hand do like the way they feel, both in hand and clamped between my teeth, just not the I press or wafe shape.. that is too far.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    LowSpark:

Just my .02

Ditto, most of the BP I have had are tighter than normal - Urby & Lassy, go nuts with this one.
    That's what happens when the box gets pressed. Things get tighter.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Box pressed cigars are rolled with 5% to 10% less filler, this ensures they will draw after being pressed. Interesting bit of cigar history, the first cigar Fuente made box pressed was the ashton vsg. Ashton requested it and they made the first 100,000 cigars in c. 1998. They made them like they would any other cigars but after putting them through thepress, immediately found that they would not draw and would need to use less filler. Not wanting to waste 100,000 cigars, ashton still bought them and sold them in the round shape. Today these cigars are highly sought after and called "Ashton VSG Rounds" You can still find them from time to time. We had some in the aging room last year.
    i had one. i smoked it. i feel that they are a great collectors piece, but as far as smoking goes, they are past their prime.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Wow. Pretty cool info. Thanks.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    I have always liked box pressed cigars. The Perdomo 2 have been favorites for over a decade. I was glad to see them available again.