Home Cigar 101
Options

Gurkha sampler humidor

Okay...just one more newb question for the day (hopefully).  When a sampler comes out to you in a humidor (a la Gurkha Grand Slam), is it usually pre-seasoned?  I'm guessing this one is not, as it came with one of the standard black humidifer discs and had no water pillow inside.  But I thought someone might be able to tell me for sure...

Thanks - Dan

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I would make the assumption that it is not and season it.
  • Options
    dan7876dan7876 Posts: 47
    Gotcha, thanks!
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    I have one of those coming on this order. How is the quality?
  • Options
    dan7876dan7876 Posts: 47

Far as I can tell, I'm guessing you'll be pleased with the quality.  When shutting the humi it literally sucks it closed with a little whoosh.

• Options
    dan7876:

Far as I can tell, I'm guessing you'll be pleased with the quality.  When shutting the humi it literally sucks it closed with a little whoosh.

Thats a good sign!
  • Options
    I ordered one of the Grand Slams almost a month ago. I also assumed it was not a seasoned humidor and moved the sticks into my main humidor. I have since seasoned up the Gurkha hummie and it seems to be working fine as a secondary. I've moved a bunch of Regents into it that I had sitting in my main humidor. That way I don't have to disturb everything I have aging in the big boy just for an evening Regent.
  • Options
    I can't wait to get mine in the mail!!!!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Assuming it's not seasoned is the safest policy, but really, if it comes with cigars in it, then it's been in humidified storage (or certainly should have been), and therefore probably is pretty close to right. It'll probably have lost some RH during shipping, but I'd think not terribly much.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Assuming it's not seasoned is the safest policy, but really, if it comes with cigars in it, then it's been in humidified storage (or certainly should have been), and therefore probably is pretty close to right. It'll probably have lost some RH during shipping, but I'd think not terribly much.
    id be careful but since its from cigar.com they probaly are on top of it. I mean, these guys may even love cigars more than me.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    id be careful but since its from cigar.com they probaly are on top of it. I mean, these guys may even love cigars more than me.
    Kuzi, Is that even possible ?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    As with many things in life, erring on the side of caution will seldom do you wrong.
  • Options
    I got mine the other day great smokes!!!! and the humidor smells sexy! It's cool Lookin to!
  • Options
    wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    how much you guys spending for it?
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    The humidors are not stored in a humidified environment. Season it per standard seasoning techniques before you use it.
  • Options
    Capt:
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    The humidors are not stored in a humidified environment. Season it per standard seasoning techniques before you use it.
    Capt .. I think they're talking about the manufacturer humidors that are preloaded with cigars. These would have to be in humidified storage unless you're saying the cigars sat unhumidified as well.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Not necessarily... They may store the humidors separate from the cigars.. the cigars will come in their usual boxes of 20 or whatever. When someone places an order for the Gurkha humidor sampler special, they would load up a box with those cigars and ship the package. Just like most of the other samplers they offer (like the 90-rated sampler) -- I'm sure they just pluck those sticks out of their individual boxes and bag them up.
  • Options
    I guess thats possible, good call duty.
  • Options
    wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    ok. So how much is the gurkah sampler and the humi?
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263