Home General Discussion
Options

Black mold problem please help!

I recently opened my humidor and found black mold growing in my humidifier.

I've had my humidor for about 3yrs now and have never had a problem. It holds about 75 cigars, uses a digital hygrometer, and a rectangle gel humidifier (similar to the one you can purchase here).

I immediately removed the humidifier and inspected my humidor and cigars for mold but found nothing on them. What should I do now?

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Get rid of the humidifier, and get some beads in there; if you have any Ccom humidity pillows lying around, you can use those in the meantime
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    wingertg:
    I recently opened my humidor and found black mold growing in my humidifier. I've had my humidor for about 3yrs now and have never had a problem. It holds about 75 cigars, uses a digital hygrometer, and a rectangle gel humidifier (similar to the one you can purchase here). I immediately removed the humidifier and inspected my humidor and cigars for mold but found nothing on them. What should I do now?
    You will need to remove any of the black which remains inside the humidor, as these are the mold spores and they will grow again unless they are removed or killed off.

I would suggest a light sanding of the affected areas and then several wipe downs (you don't want to get the wood too wet) using bleach water at about 10% strength. Wipe the inside of the humi but do not let the wood soak up too much water at a time and let it dry out completely before re-wiping it again. You want to make sure you kill the spores or they will just grow right back.

What type of Hygrometer are you using? I would also do a salt test on my hygro if I were you, because this one let you down.

If your sticks had the cello's on them inside the humi, I would remove the cello's just in case. You will need a tupperware or some other like container to hold your sticks until you repair your humi, or get a new one. Work slow, don't try to use too much water at a time and be thorough or you will be doing this all over again sometime soon. Good luck, keep us posted.
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Oooh Ohh! I get to be the one to say it this time....

Send me your cigars for proper inspection. I'm trained on that sort of thing....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    I would suggest a light sanding of the affected areas and then several wipe downs (you don't want to get the wood too wet) using bleach water at about 10% strength.
    I'd have to disagree with the use of bleach in any concentration. White vinegar would be an effective, and far less caustic, approach. I'd recommend a mix of 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water and soak the humidifier in this, then allow it to completely air dry...for the sake of thoroughness, you may want to repeat the soaking once more and again allow it to completely air dry. The vinegar will kill any mold and evaporate without leaving a lingering odor. It may be wise also to remove the cigars and lightly wipe down the interior of the humidor with the mix as well, you never know where the mold spores might be.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    black mold is tough I'm in construction and the approch I take is distroy and rebuild but I get paid to do that to. Black mold is tough and bleach and vinager may help the do not actually kill the spores. you can try those methods because the alt. is death to the cigars and box. take pic and post if u can like to see how bad it is.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    If black mold is in the humidor, I think you may be screwed. Youc an try sanding the wood, but your best bet is to play it safe and buy anothe rhumidor. Also, keep thsose cigar seperate from any new purchases. Spores could already be forming on the cigars and you may be beyond help.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, do not use bleach in your Humidor. If you need to use Bleach, you need a new Humidor. I've been there.. If the Mold is just in the Humidifier there is some chance you might be OK but chuck the Humidifier. (As Alex said, "Your sticks may be infected" unfortunately so I would seperate them and keep an eye on them. Let 'em get down to 65% in a chilly environment (under 68 if poss) for a few days and then put your sticks in ziplocks w/ water pillows or a Boveda pack while you season your new Humi.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    While 10% bleach mey be considered as extreme by some here, it will not ruin the wood of the humi if it was applied as I decribed by wiping. The bleach will disapate and after a day or two there will be NO smell at all.

The new humidor is likely the best approach but, well... you know.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    While 10% bleach mey be considered as extreme by some here, it will not ruin the wood of the humi if it was applied as I decribed by wiping. The bleach will disapate and after a day or two there will be NO smell at all.

The new humidor is likely the best approach but, well... you know.
    10% Bleach solution is a hospital grade disinfectant and mildewcide. It works very well. I wouldn't be that concerned about the wood but I feel strongly that there would be a lingering of the chlorine bleach. The only way to get rid of that is repeated clear water rinsing. So much so that the rinsing most likely would damage the wood. (IMHO).
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I second the recommendation of the vinegar solution.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. I have since separated the cigars into zip locks with Ccom pillows. My humi is chilling open and I don't see any mold growing in it.

I've been told bleach, alcohol, and vinegar are all good ways to wipe down the inside. Though I must admit vinegar sounds a little less extreme. I will try to get some pics up soon to give you all a better look, and keep you posted.

Good thing I have some extra cedar laying around for a new humi :)
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Toss it...buy a new one from C.com and start out using beads and a small puck. Put the 50/50 solution in the puck. It is anti-fungal. I try to place something in each of my storage containers--humidors. cooleridors or thermadors, that has the 50/50 solution in it. I really don't believe I would ever use any of my devices that showed any signs of mold. My stiks are too precious.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    wingertg:
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. I have since separated the cigars into zip locks with Ccom pillows. My humi is chilling open and I don't see any mold growing in it. I've been told bleach, alcohol, and vinegar are all good ways to wipe down the inside. Though I must admit vinegar sounds a little less extreme. I will try to get some pics up soon to give you all a better look, and keep you posted. Good thing I have some extra cedar laying around for a new humi :)
    Ditch the humi - new ccom humi's cost about $10-$20, and it just ain't worth the risk - which would you rather have to spend - $10 for a new humi, or repeating this nightmare again? Get some heartfelt beads, or some of the same beads at half the price from here: http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL and you won't get mold (or at least drastically decrease the risk)