Home Cigar 101
Options

how much to cut? or maybe a dull cutter?

illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
Hey everyone this has been getting to me lately so I wanted to get some advice.. Every time I go out to smoke I cut the cap off about 1/8 of an inch or so with a double guilottine and either the wrapper will start to unravel or bits of tobacco stick to my tongue whenever I take a draw. Am I cutting too much or too little or is it just a dull cutter?

Comments

• Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Ever try a punch? I have to say I have never had a problem with my punch hurting any sticks. If I cut the cap off I get the same problem as you.....and I have a new cutter. Kinda each to there own I guess.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It sounds like you may be cutting off too much. With some cigars you have more room for error with cutting, but others don't allow for too much without having problems. What I'd suggest you do is try and cut half as much as you currently do, basically try and take a sliver off the cap that will a) maintain the integrity of the cap and b) allow a decent airway for the smoke. It takes practice to get a good cut technique down, but once you get good at it you don't encounter as many unraveling cigars. As firetruckguy mentioned, a punch also works very well, I like to use a larger ring gauge punch as this opens more of an airway thereby cutting down on tar build up.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    thanks for the advice guys, also I find myself not being able to cut through the first time, could that be because of a dull cutter?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Now that might be a dull cutter. There should be no problem making a clean cut in one quick movement. What kind of cutter do you own?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Easiest way I ever heard for measuring how much to cut - lay the guillotine flat on a table and open it up; then take the cigar, and holding it vertically, put the cigar into the guillotine hole - the amount it goes in is how much you should cut.

Otherwise, those bits of tobacco may be due to a bad cut, a dull cutter, or a cheap cigar. Cheaper cigars unravel easier (poor construction) and use "short filler", that is, they use little bits and flakes of tobacco inside, instead of whole leaves, which often comes out while you're smoking onto your teeth and lips.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I use this cutter, pretty fool proof
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I punch all of my cigar except torps. Never have an issue.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with xmacro. My son got me a Xikar cutter for Christmas and they recommend that method. I tried it and it seem pretty fool proof. It cuts of just enough and leaves the "collar" in tact. The Cuban Crafters cutter is pretty cool though.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I punch all of my cigar except torps. Never have an issue.
    thats funny, i just don't like the way a punched cigar feels in the mouth. i have a punch but it's usually a backup item. I will try punching a chisel next time though.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I used to hate cutting my cigars and punched everything. Course, my cutter was TERRIBLE. After picking up a Xicar, I rarely ever punch them anymore. My advice would be to grab a new cutter - a good one, with a nice warranty. :)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I use a V cutter on most sticks now. It seems that a full cut gives me too much draw sometimes. I need to invest in a good punch also.
  • Options
    gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    I would also suggest at least trying a punch... I like them so well I get a little miffed when Im smoking a torpedo and HAVE to use a cutter.