Home Ratings & Reviews

5 Vegas Gold Robusto

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
The perfect Monday afternoon smoke...
I have about 30 of these resting for my wedding and I thought I'd fire one up, since I'd never had one... I'm not anywhere near being ready to review a smoke, but here are my thoughts... my musings, if you will...

the flavor started out harsh, but I tend to think that most cigars start that way (which probably reflects my lighting ability)... about a half inch in it got really nice... smooth flavors, almost creamy... clean draw... the smoke felt thick in my mouth, which I enjoy... tight draws leave the smoke feeling thin to me, for obvious reasons I guess...burn was perfect...the flavors really seemed to elevate in the second half... it never got strong by any means, but much more flavorful on the home stretch...
I've found that I enjoy the oily wrappers and this was lacking, but I wasn't expecting it so no real lose there...

overall, I was pleased... not blown away, but very happy with it... it's perfect for what it is... a nice smoke on a Monday afternoon..

my overall rating would be in the high 80's... probably an 88... as far as mild smokes go, it's on of the best I've had

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Lighting a cigar properly will allow you to enjoy the first half inch of the cigar, rob. Kuzi had a post up a long while back that I now follow for lighting. The difference in the beginning of the cigar is amazing. Here's kinda how it goes:

1. Torch the foot gently, don't touch the flame to the foot or light the cigar on fire, you'll see it change to a darker color. Then let it rest for about a minute.
    2. Torch it again, this time until it starts to light a bit. Set it down again for another minute or so.
    3. Torch it again, this time lighting it completely, making sure the wrapper gets lit evenly and the foot it glowing nicely. Set it down for 45 seconds to a minute. If it's lit at this point, just start smoking. If it's not lit quite yet, repeat step 3 again, rest for 45 seconds to a minute and start smoking.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    TatuajeVI:
    Lighting a cigar properly will allow you to enjoy the first half inch of the cigar, rob. Kuzi had a post up a long while back that I now follow for lighting. The difference in the beginning of the cigar is amazing. Here's kinda how it goes:

1. Torch the foot gently, don't touch the flame to the foot or light the cigar on fire, you'll see it change to a darker color. Then let it rest for about a minute.
    2. Torch it again, this time until it starts to light a bit. Set it down again for another minute or so.
    3. Torch it again, this time lighting it completely, making sure the wrapper gets lit evenly and the foot it glowing nicely. Set it down for 45 seconds to a minute. If it's lit at this point, just start smoking. If it's not lit quite yet, repeat step 3 again, rest for 45 seconds to a minute and start smoking.
    so the lighting process doesn't require a drag?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    robbyras:
    TatuajeVI:

so the lighting process doesn't require a drag?
    Nope. It shouldn't - the idea (I think) is to treat lighting a cigar like you just took a big, long drag off it and you don't want it to get too hot. You would let it rest for a minute before smoking again. If the wrapper is lit and the foot is lit properly, you shouldn't need to drag on it while the flame is on.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    There are 100 ways to light a cigar, all are a difference of opinion. Try out several methods and determine for yourself what you like best. When possible I toast the foot indirectly for about 1 min, take a draw and check for an even light. Good to go. When it's windy I use a torch and light it quickly. I notice a difference but it's not huge - enough that I toast slowly when possible, that's it. Yes if you really nuke the hell out of it with a lot of direct flame for more than 5 seconds or so you will char the tobacco and impart a lot of nasty flavors.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I admit that I need to perfect my lighting ritual. I use a torch to toast and then a match to light. It's a challenge making sure the torch doesn't char the foot.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Man, I just realized I've been toasting all wrong. No wonder my smokes all seem bitter for the first eighth of an inch, or so. I'm just so damned impatient to take time and light it properly.

Hi. I'm Marty, and I'm a lightaholic......

I hear admission is the first step in recovery......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Man, I just realized I've been toasting all wrong. No wonder my smokes all seem bitter for the first eighth of an inch, or so. I'm just so damned impatient to take time and light it properly.

Hi. I'm Marty, and I'm a lightaholic......

I hear admission is the first step in recovery......
    Also probably why I've never caught aromas so many people smell while they're toasting. I only smell burning.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    TatuajeVI:

Works like a charm... fired up a CAO Brazilian today using this method... lightyears ahead of what I was doing...
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    yea the first part of a cigar is usually my favorite ... i love that first puff - i feel the aromas and taste is hightened at the beginning