Home Cigar 101
Options

Newbie looking for suggestions.

Hello all!  I just picked up this delicious new hobby after a friend gave me a box of cigars from the Philippines.  I did enjoy them, but now that I've tried a few other cigars, I don't think I'll ever smoke them again.  The cigar I've enjoyed the most thus far was a Butera Royal Vintage.  It had a really creamy flavor.  I've tried other cigars that had been described as creamy, but I haven't found any that have been nearly as creamy as the Buteras.  I've tried the following cigars:

CAO Gold, Cu Avana CT, Montecristo White, Sol Cubano CT, Gurkha Park Aves, Montecristo Classic.  Also have some Rocky Edge Lites on the way.

Anyhow, I'm trying to find a lower priced option to the Royal Vintage Buteras which run me 12 bucks a stick at a local cigar shop.  If you've tried these cigars and know of any alternative cigars with a similar creamy flavor, I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks In Advance.  

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yup, those Buteras are nice cigars. Hard to find, anymore, though. The Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real is similar.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I recall bauza is pretty creamy...worth a try. Hell, just about everything is worth a try...I like spicy/peppery sticks, you should try some of those too.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Perdomo ESV '91 Connecticut.
    Cusano 18 Double Connecticut
    Ashton Classic
    Montesino
    Oliva Connecticut Reserve
    Arturo Fuente
    Avo - Not creamy so much as delicious

Well, those are some.
  • Options
    mkski23mkski23 Posts: 12
    I do enjoy other cigars for their flavors.  I don't like the barnyard hay flavor that I got from the Gurkha Park Aves.  Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be on the lookout for those.
  • Options
    You should give the cigar.com purple label a try. The best & creamiest connecticut cigar I ever had was a Rocky Patel CT, but I had my first purple label last night and it was very similar. I think they're under $2/stick right now if you buy a box, or $2.50 for singles.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    My favorite mild is the Camacho Connie. Very smooth. I also like the Oliva Connies. You should definitely try a cigar with a habano wrapper. A little stronger than a Connie, but most are very creamy and smooth. Cain Habano is a good one.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    mkski23, give a Montecristo White a shot, I think you will love it. Gurkha Titan II's are very delicious as well, but high $$$ enough that I save them for special occasions.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    urbino:
    Yup, those Buteras are nice cigars. Hard to find, anymore, though. The Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real is similar.

Ive never had a Buteras but +1 on the RYJ Reserva Real being creamy!

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    You should give the cigar.com purple label a try. The best & creamiest connecticut cigar I ever had was a Rocky Patel CT, but I had my first purple label last night and it was very similar. I think they're under $2/stick right now if you buy a box, or $2.50 for singles.
    Definitely agree with this. Two of my favorites as far as mild/creamy connecticuts go.
  • Options

Thanks for all the feedback!!  Just received the purple label today and the RnJ Reserva Real.  I will try every creamy cigar suggested on this thread and try to give my own feedback. I've already filled my new 25-50ct humidor...thank you daily deal!

• Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    haha yea those daily deals will get you! the purple label is fantastic I hope you'll enjoy it, very nice cream and nutty taste
  • Options

So far... I have tried the RnJ Reserva Real, Purple Label, Ashton classics, and I've got the RP Connies on the way.  I've also tried the Fonseca 50-50s.  So far, great suggestions everyone.  I would've hated having to throw away money on experimental cigars.  The RnJ Reserva Real was nice!  Nice construction, burn, and the taste was smooth, creamy and sweet throughout.  Purple Label was similar in taste and for the price... I'm gonna have to buy a box to have as an everydayer... had some burn issues, and the ash did not hold more than half an inch, but the taste is all that matters to me.  The Fonseca's did not have the sweet taste to it, but the smoke was smooth and creamy, very enjoyable.  The Ashtons tought me what a complex smoke was like.  All great smokes, and will buy again!  Thanks again!