Home Cigar 101

Long Time, First Time

gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
Hello all. Long time troller, first time posting new guy here with a question that may seem a little silly... WHERE in a humidor do you like to put your humidification device, whatever that may be? I am currently using the crystal jars in my humidors, and am wondering if differences in placement would make any difference in effectiveness of humidification? Thanks in advance folks, I appreciate the help!

Comments

• MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Welcome from Kansas city as well. I am sure that others with more knowledge then I wil reply shortly.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Welcome! The location doesn't matter much actually - humid air rises since it's lighter than unhumidified air, but if you leave your humidor closed for a few hours, it spreads out all over the humidor. That said, my placement differs depending on which device it is. With the humidity beads, I always put it on the lid; with a cigar oasis, I put it on the bottom - but those are just my preferences, and it's mostly for my own aesthetic reasons
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    As long as it's got enough room around it to breathe, anywhere should be fine.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I put mine on the bottom but I don't think it matters too much.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    MESKC, PM to you
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    In my larger humidor, I have a half pound of beads on the bottom and a half pound of beads on the top shelf. Probably unnecessary, but I like to have both areas covered.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More Kansas City guys!! Welcome boys. I am going to the grand opening of Outlaw Cigar Co tomorrow. Either of you guys going?

As far as the topic is concerned in my large humi I have cigar savor gel humidifiers in the top and beads with humi-care in the bottom. I adjust how much moisture I use in he cigar savor humidifiers to keep it just right. In smaller humis I just place it in the bottom.
    Wish I was going to outlaw. Wife has family coming over and has already said I have to be there. I was just at the location the other day. Nice location. It is a little drive form up north were I live.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome from the Florida Chapter of the BOTL
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I currently am using 4 or 5 makeshift humi-tubes (empty tubos filled with heartfelt beads), and they're spread throughout my humi.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Just like MESKC, I want to go to Outlaws Grand Opening tomorrow, but it doesnt look good - family commitments are probably gonna keep me away from the party. Have you been to any of Outlaw's shindigs? Just found out about them recently (I know!), and it seems like they have a party of some sort going on every few weeks.
    Thanks for all the feedback fellas! Much appreciated, and good to know there is somewhere I can go for the straight sh*t when I have questions. Viva la BOTL!
    You KC guys need to get in touch with me so we can meet up. d*luxe Lounge & Cigar Deck in Parkville is a great place to hang out at if you haven't been there. I live in Grain Valley so I frequent The Cigar Merchant in Blue Springs. I had never been to Outlaw until I started working as a cigar rep. I went to the first event at the new store and all I can say is WOW. In KC we have so many great places:

Outlaw Cigar Co - 2 Locations
    Diebel's Sportsmens Gallery - 2 Locations
    d&luxe Lounge & Cigar Deck
    The Cigar Mechant
    The Cigar Room
    Cigar & Tabac
    just to name a few.
    We will need to find a time to meet up. I have not been any fo thier events at outlaw. Always wanted to but never have. I have been to Diebel's and outlaw but none of the other places. Since I live up north I may have to check out D&luxe lounge.
    Ive been to The Cigar Merchant a couple times, nice store with an excellent selection! Usually hit The Cigar Room in Lee's Summit (very close to my office) at least once a month - Cassie is an absolute sweetheart. Let me run an idea by you... what do you think about setting up a KC area "Ccom BOTL herf"? Maybe post it on the message boards so everyone within a decent driving distance to the city would know about it, set the date far enough ahead so those who would have to travel would be able to plan and/or budget for it could make it? Might be a cool way to meet some of the people behind the screen names!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Right now since it's winter, I had to combine all my humis into my cabinet and use one device filled w/ beads on the bottom, and then one of the top. Works out quite well.

"Long ashes my friends."

What part of the country are you in Krieg? I think its about time I can clean about the reason behind my post - Ive got one of my three humidors that is just kicking my @ss lately. I have increased my humidification in the humidor by adding water pillows, and charging the sponge, in addition to the humidification crystals I normally use... no help. Checked the seal using the dollar bill test, and that seems fine also. After finding out here that where you place the humidification doesnt matter a whole lot, Im at a loss. Only thing I can figure at this point is that I may have screwed up the seasoning process. Any ideas from anyone?
    gdsim1:
    Ive been to The Cigar Merchant a couple times, nice store with an excellent selection! Usually hit The Cigar Room in Lee's Summit (very close to my office) at least once a month - Cassie is an absolute sweetheart. Let me run an idea by you... what do you think about setting up a KC area "Ccom BOTL herf"? Maybe post it on the message boards so everyone within a decent driving distance to the city would know about it, set the date far enough ahead so those who would have to travel would be able to plan and/or budget for it could make it? Might be a cool way to meet some of the people behind the screen names!
    Great idea. Set up a thread and I am in.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. When I was a noob, I was having major humidification issues with my humi, but after posting on here for a while and asking the seasoned vets some questions, I've gotten my humi well regulated. I use a bag of beads off to one side and a few beads in the top humidisc. Keeps me perfect at 70/70.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..