Home Cigar 101
Options

How tight can I pack 'em?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
So a question popped into my head that hopefully those who know more than me can help with - suppose my humidor is overflowing; assuming I don't crush them, but just kinda push them down a bit so they all fit, how tightly can I pack my cigars and still ensure proper humidification?

Comments

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I love this question, a true BOTL question. Bro it is time for another or bigger humidor. LOL
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have to use your foot, they're too tight!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Well, the problem is that my trays are a tad too small in their height - if I try to stack my cigars 2-sticks high, the tray above doesn't fully seat on its rest, but instead it rests on top of the cigars beneath; I'm not sure if this will affect the cigars or not
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    If you take your trays out, you'll find yourself with a smidgen of extra room. Beyond that, I personally would not 'squeeze' my sticks in. If they fit snugly, ok, but I wouldn't want any deformation in the wrappers..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    If they are still in their cellos, then you can stack them in such a manner that they will still have some spacing for air-flow. Notice the cello-wrapped cigars are 4 sided, and careful placement will allow you to fit more. Also, as stated, remove the trays, and order a bigger humidor - or smoke more often. I do both, lol..
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I'm there too. I can't fit another single stick in there. I got about 120 (larger ring) sticks. I just started re-seasoning my first 25ct humi. for more space.

Hey! I think this is my 200th post !!!! Yeah Me!
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Coolerdor time. I got mine at wally world for $19 (not sure exactly what size but it's pretty big) and it works great! Now it's running out of space though, might be time for cooler #2...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if the led does not close under its own weight, then there are too many.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I'm nothing like cabbie when it comes to woodworking skills, but I always modify things, and try to make them do what I want. If you have room at the top of the humi, and the problem is the trays aren't stacking, why not add some pieces of an old cigar box to the bottom (or top) of a tray. That way you would have a bit more room for the trays. It doesn't have to be a cigar box, but I imagine you have some laying around, or can get some from your B&M fairly easy. Just use some odor free glue, and voila you should be good to go till your bigger humi is purchased
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    letsgowithbob:
    I'm nothing like cabbie when it comes to woodworking skills, but I always modify things, and try to make them do what I want. If you have room at the top of the humi, and the problem is the trays aren't stacking, why not add some pieces of an old cigar box to the bottom (or top) of a tray. That way you would have a bit more room for the trays. It doesn't have to be a cigar box, but I imagine you have some laying around, or can get some from your B&M fairly easy. Just use some odor free glue, and voila you should be good to go till your bigger humi is purchased
    Odor free glue, huh? I was not aware such a substance existed. The things we come up with... I'm heading to my hobby show so I modify my own trays. Thanks!