Home Cigar 101
Options

How much to cut off a torpedo?

Hello y'all!
This is my first post on here. I've been smoking the occasional cigar for a couple of months now. I have a torp. from my original sampler order sitting in my humidor. So I don't hack too much off, I figured it was a good idea to ask how much should I cut? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cut off 1/8 of an inch off then end
    draw
    if its tight, repeat until the draw is good.

this will probably leave a cut in the end of the cigar about this across:

|--------|

...if you started with a ring of 50 or 52
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    draw

|--------|

This is my method also. Start short and keep cutting until I get the draw I like
  • Options
    slt5103slt5103 Posts: 3
    Thanks guys! The info is much appreciated.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Oh... and welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    kuzi16:
    draw

|--------|

This is my method also. Start short and keep cutting until I get the draw I like
    I was going to sya something like that, kuzi beat me too it, all is well, tho because I probably learned it from him when I first asked a year ago. If its about cigars and you cant learn it on ccom, you dont need to know it:)
  • Options
    ChobaChoba Posts: 76
    Hey, got a related question as well BTOLs, my cutter is getting dull I think, it's "crunching" instead of the usual "snip" I just ordered a Xikar, heard they're good and comes with a life warranty. What are your thoughts and I hope it's good otherwise I'll have to keep shopping and try other ones. BTW had an Ambos Mundos tonight, and have to say, the slow creamy vanilla with nutty textures are decadent. Didn't think I would like a med-full body again. Thanks all.
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I love my Xikar, my roommate loves his as well. Great cut, very sharp, long lasting, and lifetime warranty. What more could you ask for?
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son bought me a Xikar for Christmas with my initials engraved. I love it and it cuts like a dream. I went to their site online to register it and they sent me a free leather case just for registering.

As to the original question about how much you cut off a torpedo... If you look down the middle and see daylight, you've cut off too much!
  • Options
    ChobaChoba Posts: 76
    Thanks and much appreciated!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Speaking of cutting a torpedo....Has anyone else been curious about smoking a torpedo backwards, ie lighting the tapered end and smoking from the foot? One of these days I want to try that and see if it works or if it will cause the cigar to unravel...my money is on the latter, but the only way to know is to do it. :)
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    j0z3r:
    Speaking of cutting a torpedo....Has anyone else been curious about smoking a torpedo backwards, ie lighting the tapered end and smoking from the foot? One of these days I want to try that and see if it works or if it will cause the cigar to unravel...my money is on the latter, but the only way to know is to do it. :)
    lol. I would vote on unraveling as well. maybe with a figurado it might work. cut both ends a bit and smoke it backwards. still would probably unravel.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm almost positive it would unravel given that the cigar is rolled from foot to head, I'd still be interested, in the name of science, to see if it would work. Just got to grab a torpedo I wouldn't mind losing after an inch. :)
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Some pectin or cigar glue on the head would hold it together . . . though it'd taste awful, it'd probably work
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Some pectin or cigar glue on the head would hold it together . . . though it'd taste awful, it'd probably work
    But once it burned past the pectin it would unravel again. The whole structural basis of the cigar is in the idea of burning in the direction of the roll, that way the wrapper maintains its hold as it burns. I sound like I'm trying to talk myself out of it now. haha
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Seems we have bit of a challenge. Assuming the thing held together, is there any reason the cigar wouldn't taste right due to the tobacco's being burned backwards than intended?
  • Options
    It might taste different, couldn't say how much though. One more reason to try this out.
  • Options
    Alright, another senseless experiment done for no other reason than to do it. And the results are about what I expected, once the burn line got past the cap the wrapper let loose and unraveled. It was really hard to get going too because of the taper. I'll stick to cutting my torpedos and smoking them from foot to head from now on. :)
  • Options
    YankeeMan:
    My son bought me a Xikar for Christmas with my initials engraved. I love it and it cuts like a dream. I went to their site online to register it and they sent me a free leather case just for registering.

As to the original question about how much you cut off a torpedo... If you look down the middle and see daylight, you've cut off too much!
    Just got one from my wife for my birthday, engraved as well(but with a message that would get me laughed off the forum).
  • Options
    leemarshall337:
    YankeeMan:

Just got one from my wife for my birthday, engraved as well(but with a message that would get me laughed off the forum).
    Uh oh, now you've got to tell us. :)
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    leemarshall337:
    YankeeMan:

To Late got to tell us now.......... hehehe
  • Options
    Sorry fellas. I think it's best I keep this one wrapped up tight.