Home Cigar 101
Options

cut or punch?

I was just wondering wat is better..a cut or a punch?

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Depends on preference; I like a double-bladed cutter personally. I heard tar can build up with a punch, but I've never used one, so I'm not sure if that's true or not
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Same here, I've never used anything else but a Double G. However, I would try a punch cutter if given a chance.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I have been using a punch lately. One advantage is I havent had a cigar unravel when punching and I smoke Gurkhas!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I carry both, a punch on my lighter and a Xikar multitool. If I punch and the draw is too tight, then I'll cut and loosen it up.
  • Options
    great point about the draw being too tight..never really thought about it like that. Thanks!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I use both. Only had the tar buildup from a punch with Edge lites...... go figure. I switched to a double cutter on them and no more problem. So I guess its all what you feel works for you.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    About the only time I don't use a punch is if I am cutting a torpedo. I have the alrge-gauge punch from Xikar though, its great. On alot of coronas, the punch is almost the same diameter as the head of the cigar, lol.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    About the only time I don't use a punch is if I am cutting a torpedo. I have the alrge-gauge punch from Xikar though, its great. On alot of coronas, the punch is almost the same diameter as the head of the cigar, lol.

Where would one find one of said mondo punch??
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    alienmisprint:

What he said...........

Marty

• Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Try the bidding site. They always have them.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    alienmisprint:
    I got a chance to see one at the Michigan/Ohio herf - the large ring gauge punch is ENORMOUS, lol. It's on my list of accessories to get.
  • Options
    DaveTheRookie09DaveTheRookie09 Posts: 58
    I like a good cut but due to just ease of use I almost always punch since it is built right into my lighter. Tho I am super pumped about the new Man O War Virtue release deal in May so when I order a box of those I will have a sweet double bladed cutter made of pure awesome and a kick a.s.s. lighter!
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I keep a cheap punch on my keychain, and funny how I always end up using it. 95% of the time I do prefer the punch (unless its a torpedo). I find that when I punch, I end up with less small bits of tobacco in my mouth.

BTW, I've never have had a problem with tar build up.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never used a punch, I always cut mine. One time at my B&M, I used a wedge cut they had there just to try it. It was OK, but I like the straight across cut better.

My wife and I are going to Myrtle Beach, SC Thursday to see the world's three greatest granddaughters. While we're there, we'll hit the Blarney Stone cigar bar at Broadway Beach. The last time I was there, they offered to either punch or cut the cigar I bought and I had them cut it. This time, I'll have them punch one just to give it a try.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I like to use a punch on the larger ring gauges...keeps the bits of tobacco out of you mouth.
  • Options
    bama3715bama3715 Posts: 89
    I prefer using the punch, however i do cut churchills. I find that tar builds up more on the churchills with the punch.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I cut almost everything, the exception being cigars I know to have a loose draw, on those I'll use a punch to try and tighten things up.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I've use straight, v, and Punch. straight is nice, v little less break up of cigar in mouth punch i have exploded end by putting in to tight of a cigar tabaco needed someplace to go when extra mass was pushed in :(. use it sparingly.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    firetruckguy:
    alienmisprint:

What he said...........

Marty

PMs to both of you...
  • Options
    cooch36:
    I've use straight, v, and Punch. straight is nice, v little less break up of cigar in mouth punch i have exploded end by putting in to tight of a cigar tabaco needed someplace to go when extra mass was pushed in :(. use it sparingly.
    Soiunds like you just needed a sharper (or maybe thinner-bladed?) punch. I have never had any issues with the Xikar I have, and I've punched almost every cigar that I have smoked in the last 6-7 months with it.
  • Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I try a punch first on anything over about a 48-50 ring guage. If the draw is tight then I will cut. Unless it's a torpedo, then I just cut.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cooch36:

I don't just push my punch into the end of a cigar - I rotate it at the same time. I'm sure most guys do the same. The other thing I've learned is not to 'saw' the cutter back and forth. Just twist it in one direction or you'll end up with a more raggedy cut than you would have otherwise.

I prefer a punch and use it on everything but a torpedo. And, on occasion, I've even used it on a torp by just centering the punch over the point and cutting away. Not as good as a guillotine cutter but it'll work in a pinch.

Marty

• Options
    gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    leonard:
    I have been using a punch lately. One advantage is I havent had a cigar unravel when punching and I smoke Gurkhas!
    I thought it was just me! EVERY Gurkha I have cut has unraveled on me without fail... love my punch and only use a cutter on torpedos.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    jlmarta:
    cooch36:

I don't just push my punch into the end of a cigar - I rotate it at the same time. I'm sure most guys do the same. The other thing I've learned is not to 'saw' the cutter back and forth. Just twist it in one direction or you'll end up with a more raggedy cut than you would have otherwise.

I prefer a punch and use it on everything but a torpedo. And, on occasion, I've even used it on a torp by just centering the punch over the point and cutting away. Not as good as a guillotine cutter but it'll work in a pinch.

Marty

ok thanks for the info i will punch accordingly :)
  • Options
    wingertgwingertg Posts: 13
    It's all about what you like. I use a 308 shell casing that I had from killing a trophy buck. But if you're smoking a smaller ring gauge I would use a double g. cutter.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I honestly went into cigar smoking thinking that cutting was the way to go, but now that I've smoked a few cut, and a few punched, I am sort of starting to lean towards punching in general. It seems to preserve the integrity of the wrap better.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    alienmisprint:
    I got a chance to see one at the Michigan/Ohio herf - the large ring gauge punch is ENORMOUS, lol. It's on my list of accessories to get.
    I wonder if it's the one I have? It's a big punch. I use it on the 56-60's. Really the only time I use a cutter is when I have a torp.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    In my humble little opinion a punch is the "safe" way to cut a cigar. The punch eliminates the need to find the edges of the cap and make sure you don't cut them off when you cut the cigar. I prefer to take my time with my Xikar MTX scissors and find edges of the cap and just barely miss them. But I surely wouldn't blame anyone that wanted to punch a cigar.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    double blade on as much as I can. Every now and then I improvise with a home made punch (Pen, Key or paperclip) But mostly the double blade. Churchill used the blunt end of a wooden match.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    In my humble little opinion a punch is the "safe" way to cut a cigar. The punch eliminates the need to find the edges of the cap and make sure you don't cut them off when you cut the cigar. I prefer to take my time with my Xikar MTX scissors and find edges of the cap and just barely miss them. But I surely wouldn't blame anyone that wanted to punch a cigar.
    i can see exactly what you are saying. my Xikar punch is "in the shop" so im only using my xikar double guillotine. it takes some getting used to but its not a bad cut. i think i like the punch better still .